PDA

View Full Version : Shops for caliper rebuild?

BlazenXLT
09-24-2008, 10:03 AM
I've been cleaning up a set of calipers that I'll be swapping onto my car soon. I'd like to rebuild them with new seals since there are a few cracks in the originals. I wanted this to be a DIY, but I'm a bit hesitant to do this myself. Anyone know of a shop that will be do rebuilds? From what I understand, it's a pretty simple process with the right tools.

Thanks!

Car54
09-24-2008, 03:32 PM
simple process with simple tools...brake cleaner, brake fluid, piece of wood, and an air compressor. In addition you need any tools require to remove the calipers.

Take a look at this: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=970888&referrerid=93831

mlytle
09-24-2008, 09:22 PM
yep. if the calipers are already off the car, replacing the seals is like a 15min job. there is no magic or special tools needed.

BlazenXLT
09-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys, I haven't seen that write up before. Looks like all I need is access to compressed air to push the piston out.

Looks like this will be my fall project!

mlytle
09-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys, I haven't seen that write up before. Looks like all I need is access to compressed air to push the piston out.

Looks like this will be my fall project!

just need to borrow someones track air tank if you don't have one already. don't need a compressor.

Car54
09-26-2008, 08:35 AM
I've heard of people rebuilding them without actually removing the lines and keeping them attached to the car. Using the brake pedal to push out the piston, one caliper at a time. I chose not to do it this way since I didn't want to risk brake fluid squirting anywhere near the paint. You could probably drop the caliper in a bucket and slightly cover it. If it's your first time, you're going to want to have that caliper in a comfortable place to cus and swear at the dust boots. 1st one will take 1 hour+, 2nd 30 minutes, 3 and 4 will be 10 minutes. After you do it once, you could consider doing them with the lines attached.

BlazenXLT
09-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like this will be a good learning experience for me. And don't worry, I'll be sure to set aside plenty of time for cussing and swearing at seals and pistons :biggrin:

Mrsbemer
10-30-2008, 08:46 AM
All,

I am looking for someone or a shop to paint my calipers. Is there anyone out there that knows of a shop or someone that does this for a 745Li?

Thanks.

Mrsbemer

Car54
10-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Blazen, you ever get it done?

Car54
10-30-2008, 04:44 PM
All,

I am looking for someone or a shop to paint my calipers. Is there anyone out there that knows of a shop or someone that does this for a 745Li?

Thanks.

Mrsbemer

Are you saying the whole job? Drive your car in and 8 hours later drive it away with painted calipers? Or a place that specializes in powder coating where you'd drop the calipers off?

Mrsbemer
11-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Both. However, which one do you suggest?

Drive your car in and 8 hours later drive it away with painted calipers? Or a place that specializes in powder coating where you'd drop the calipers off?
Mrsbemer

onboost
11-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Mrsbemer,

This is a simple weekend DIY job using a caliper paint kit offered by Tire Rack and others. It's both a little time consuming and messy but result can be very nice.

Powder coating of course works very well but you're looking at about $350 per caliper to drop-off to them, disassemble, media blast, coat and then reassemble. This does not of course include r & R of the calipers and bleeding of the system once re-installed.

Ball park prices quoted are from.. www.vehiclecraft.com in NJ, though I must re-check the name.

Here is another outfit that lists some prices for the service.. I have not used either as I do my own.. and farm-out the powder coating only.
http://www.brakewarehouse.com/powdercoating_plating.asp#custom_powder_coating_services

Hope this helps..

Paul