View Full Version : ChapterFest 2008 - August 23, 2008

mcoupemindy
07-25-2008, 07:57 AM
ChapterFest 2008
Saturday, August 23, 2008
Bowie Baysox Stadium
4101 NE Crain Highway
Bowie, MD 20716

Plan to attend our 2008 ChapterFest! Both member and non-members are invited to attend. Scheduled activities include:

Food catered by Red, Hot & Blue. Beverages will also be provided.
ChapterFest T-Shirts for everyone who registers and pays online.
Autocross, including a special vintage class to highlight the cars of our past.
Show & Shine with special relaxed judging rules. Awards will be given.
Tours from various locations rallying to ChapterFest. Details to be announced soon.
Swap meet to give new life to unused bimmer items.
Registration is open NOW!!!

http://registration.nccbmwcca.org/chapterfest

There are three different registration options:

2008 ChapterFest - Autocross Registration --> For those participating in the Autocross.
2008 ChapterFest - Show & Shine Registration --> For those participating in the Show & Shine.
2008 ChapterFest - General Registration --> All others.

Show & Shine Information:

Schedule:

8:00AM - 10:00AM: Show & Shine Participants Check-In
10:30AM - 12:00PM: People's Choice Judging
12:30PM - 1:00PM: Show & Shine Awards Presented

All judging will be people's choice! Ballots will be given to all attendees upon arrival.

A winner will be chosen for the following categories:

Vintage car (1983 and older) I most want to drive.
Vintage car (1983 and older) with most character.
Vintage car (1983 and older) with most passionate owner.
Current car (1984 and newer) I most want to drive.
Current car (1984 and newer) with most character.
Current car (1984 and newer) with most passionate owner.

Car54
07-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Booo, I can't make it! Looks like it will be a great event!

pseto
07-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Let's go guys, registration is open.

Don't miss one of the biggest meets of the year :D

Zchild
07-28-2008, 05:50 PM
:icon_blah Jonathon, me and my girly have registered but haven't paid, how do we go about paying, what are our options? Thanks in advance...
:icon_poke

mcoupemindy
07-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Let's go guys, registration is open.

Don't miss one of the biggest meets of the year :D

It WILL be the BIGGEST event of the year.

Mystic330
07-28-2008, 08:37 PM
What are the fees for this event(s)?

mcoupemindy
07-28-2008, 08:40 PM
What are the fees for this event(s)?

$5.00 to just enjoy the festivities, get a t-shirt, and eat great food.
$10.00 to participate in the Show & Shine
$25.00 for members / $35.00 for non-members to autocross.

FrankoQ
07-29-2008, 07:49 AM
I'll be there!!!

tenfifteen
07-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Registered for the show & shine yesterday.

EShott
07-30-2008, 11:55 AM
The online payment seems to be broken. I registered for the autocross, clicked online payment and got the message "oops, this mercent no longer accepts Google payment."

mcoupemindy
07-30-2008, 12:07 PM
The online payment seems to be broken. I registered for the autocross, clicked online payment and got the message "oops, this mercent no longer accepts Google payment."

Thank you. I'll work on getting it fixed.

pseto
08-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Let's go guys, get registered!!!!

This event will be BIG. I just invited all surrounding CCA chapters, so I'm sure we'll have plenty of out-of-towners in attendance.

Zchild
08-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Let's go guys, get registered!!!!

This event will be BIG. I just invited all surrounding CCA chapters, so I'm sure we'll have plenty of out-of-towners in attendance.

:icon_blah Excellent call Paul, great idea inviting the surrounding chapters to this event. We definitely need more cross chapter activities.
:icon_poke

woodym3
08-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Can anyone explain to me why it's called a "Show and Shine"? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
I've never been to one. Are you supposed to come with a dirty car, show it off, and then clean and shine it before going home? Will water be supplied?

pseto
08-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Can anyone explain to me why it's called a "Show and Shine"? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
I've never been to one. Are you supposed to come with a dirty car, show it off, and then clean and shine it before going home? Will water be supplied?

LOL!! Not sure why its called Show and Shine, but its a scaled-down version of a Concours. Please do NOT show up with a dirty car :D

AlfaEric
08-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Please do NOT show up with a dirty car :D
I'll break out the Brillo pad and give it a good scrubbing before I get there. :wink:

---Eric

Car54
08-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Woody...I understand there will be no "car washers" at this event.

gbauer
08-04-2008, 10:02 AM
New here: I signed up for the event, paid the $5 admission fee but it didn't ask for the $25 for the autocross when I signed up. Will you be collecting the $25 when we get there or did I miss something?

Sniz
08-04-2008, 02:01 PM
I signed up but didnt pay online, how can I pay now? Didnt have my wallet w/ me before.

see you all there!

Biggins
08-04-2008, 02:36 PM
I signed up but didnt pay online, how can I pay now? Didnt have my wallet w/ me before.

see you all there!
Ditto... what do I do?

pseto
08-04-2008, 02:46 PM

see you all there!

you suck!!!

not too sure, maybe Jonathan has an answer

mcoupemindy
08-04-2008, 05:15 PM
If you signed up but did not complete the payment process, just shoot me an email to jmthayer@<hidden>.

I'll send a payment request to your email address and you can pay.

Jonathan

woodym3
08-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Woody...I understand there will be no "car washers" at this event.
Those pictures from ZTS were. . . .ah. . . .pretty impressive.

Pete
08-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Signed up for autocross. Will there be a non BMW class for Show N' Shine?

mcoupemindy
08-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Signed up for autocross. Will there be a non BMW class for Show N' Shine?

The Show & Shine classes are not BMW specific. Yes, we will welcome your entry :)

Arecks
08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm gonna bring my dad's white '94 Dynasty 2dr automatic, but it will be clean, I promise. :biggrin: Just kidding - I'll park waaaay far away.

I'll be in town visiting my family and friends and registered for ChapterFest today. I'm looking fwd to meeting some of you. I'm also going to try to make the Board meeting and the Zodiac event (it's only a couple miles from my dad's place).

Check out our little impromptu chapter car wash from 2 weekends ago. It was held by a local bar and wasn't advertised well, so I thought I would use my extreme "social-eventing" skills to bring them some bizness on short notice. Maybe I can bring our car washers along on the plane? ;D

That's my e30 in the pics.

Only 3 of us showed, though - but it was the me, the chapter Prez (Tom - with the 'stache), me, and the chapter newsletter editor. Poor turnout, but you can bet your leaky oil pan we had a ton of fun!
http://www.stlbmwcca.org/image_galleries/thumbnails.php?album=61

pseto
08-05-2008, 05:12 PM
nice pics Alex. i wouldn't have a problem with you bringing the car washers to ChapterFest. I can guarantee we'll have more then 3 cars :D

mcoupemindy
08-05-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm gonna bring my dad's white '94 Dynasty 2dr automatic, but it will be clean, I promise. :biggrin: Just kidding - I'll park waaaay far away.

I'll be in town visiting my family and friends and registered for ChapterFest today. I'm looking fwd to meeting some of you. I'm also going to try to make the Board meeting and the Zodiac event (it's only a couple miles from my dad's place).

Check out our little impromptu chapter car wash from 2 weekends ago. It was held by a local bar and wasn't advertised well, so I thought I would use my extreme "social-eventing" skills to bring them some bizness on short notice. Maybe I can bring our car washers along on the plane? ;D

That's my e30 in the pics.

Only 3 of us showed, though - but it was the me, the chapter Prez (Tom - with the 'stache), me, and the chapter newsletter editor. Poor turnout, but you can bet your leaky oil pan we had a ton of fun!
http://www.stlbmwcca.org/image_galleries/thumbnails.php?album=61

We look forward to seeing you out. Make sure to say hi at the board meeting too!

ATTN WOODY: Check pictures that he's posted. I'm sure you will enjoy them.

mcoupemindy
08-05-2008, 05:13 PM
nice pics Alex. i wouldn't have a problem with you bringing the car washers to ChapterFest. I can guarantee we'll have more then 3 cars :D

I would be more than willing to have them wash my car!

Car54
08-05-2008, 10:26 PM
We look forward to seeing you out. Make sure to say hi at the board meeting too!

ATTN WOODY: Check pictures that he's posted. I'm sure you will enjoy them.

That was funny...looks like you guys had a ball.....couple of back alley Sally's!

Jim Dunlap
08-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Some one mentioned car washing?? How about this "washing?" While I am happily here in VA enjoying our BMWCCA activities, my heart is with my surfing gang from Peru, a large contingent of which was recently in Indonesia. Example herewith; one of the gang getting a great wave. Other activities aside, we (USA and Peru) all seem to have our fair share of BMWs to drive day to day...3's, 5's and more.

I like driving my 335i. That said, I also like surfing on waves like these. Air fare and hotel to surf....versus gas, tire wear, brake pad and shock destruction...plus fees - all to attack and run the track. Money is involved. Yes? Love my 335i coupe, but given the choice, it'll be parked and I'll be surfing.

You??

woodym3
08-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Wow. I've never seen a wave that big on the Outer Banks. Not sure I'd want to.

gbauer
08-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Wow. I've never seen a wave that big on the Outer Banks. Not sure I'd want to.
we used to get them close to that (about 8-10') on Lake Michigan believe it or not! There was a group of us that surfed there. The waves are great: nice long breaks, really consistent and powerful but the problem is that it's fresh water, not salt water. The fresh water means that you don't float as well and have to use a bigger, more buoyant board.

Too bad I haven't surfed in 9 years... :frown:

Jim Dunlap
08-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Speaking for me: thinking about the number of sunken ships in the Great Lakes, I would NEVER dispute wave heights in those seas. Accepting that, here is a wave from Peru TODAY - break about 25 miles south of Lima named "Penascal." Shot is from 7am in the morning. Is the surfer a BMW driver? Honestly speaking: not likely. Is he/she having fun? See the white water wall behind him/her? If he/she avoids wiping out and getting washed in the soup...yes, having fun.

mcoupemindy
08-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Only 2 Weeks Until ChapterFest! Signup now!

Jim Dunlap
08-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Trying to decide about doing the autocross, or not. Will there be one of those tire-destroying circles this time? Yes or no could be the deciding factor for me re autocross versus just showing up for general activities.

mcoupemindy
08-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Trying to decide about doing the autocross, or not. Will there be one of those tire-destroying circles this time? Yes or no could be the deciding factor for me re autocross versus just showing up for general activities.

It's called a skidpad ...

Anyway, it depends on how the course is designed. I've never seen a skidpad integrated into a course at Bowie as it is a nice lot.

There's alot different in wear and tear when considering 20 runs vs. 4 runs. This is a points event so that means 4 runs per competitor.

tenfifteen
08-11-2008, 09:59 AM
How 'relaxed' will the rules be on the Show & Shine? I'm going to give 'er a good polish and wax, but I'm not going to go crazy on it either.

Mainly I just wanted assigned parking. ;)

mcoupemindy
08-11-2008, 10:03 AM
How 'relaxed' will the rules be on the Show & Shine? I'm going to give 'er a good polish and wax, but I'm not going to go crazy on it either.

Mainly I just wanted assigned parking. ;)

It's going to be people choice awards ... so no formal judging criteria. Just give 'er a nice cleaning.

Gene
08-11-2008, 08:31 PM
I'd like to register my wife, I'm also bringing my 15 year old son and a friend.
How do I register them all?

tks.

mcoupemindy
08-11-2008, 08:49 PM
I'd like to register my wife, I'm also bringing my 15 year old son and a friend.
How do I register them all?

tks.

The easiest way is to just submit four registrations. You can use the same email address for all of them, just submit each with the different name. Let me know if you have any trouble.

You can do it right here: http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=137,1267,0,0,1,0

See you on the 23rd!

gbauer
08-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Think there will be additional openings for the autocross? My wife is probably coming and I might be able to talk her into driving a little instead of just riding along...

mcoupemindy
08-12-2008, 06:35 AM
Think there will be additional openings for the autocross? My wife is probably coming and I might be able to talk her into driving a little instead of just riding along...

Absolutely!

Just let us know the day of the event. We will fit her in for sure. Also, she's more than welcome to get a ride along with other members too.

Jim Dunlap
08-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi. Whether Google payment works yet or not, I really don't want or need yet-another on-line account. Will be at the Ramparts board social tomorrow and hope to pay then. FYI, I'd like to sign up for Heat 1; blue 2007 335i. See you tomorrow evening, Jonathan. Cheers,

Jim

johnthrax
08-13-2008, 06:10 AM
I was wondering what time you're allowed in if you're just coming for the festivities? I mean I see the show & shine registration is from 8-10, but I figured that would'nt be for people coming just for the festivites.

pseto
08-13-2008, 06:26 AM
I was wondering what time you're allowed in if you're just coming for the festivities? I mean I see the show & shine registration is from 8-10, but I figured that would'nt be for people coming just for the festivites.

show up around 11a, food will be served at 12p

JC5
08-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Just registered my wife and I.

mcoupemindy
08-13-2008, 09:23 PM

Alright!!! :icon_danc

pseto
08-14-2008, 08:25 AM

bringing both cars?

lurch09
08-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Not auto x'ing, but im in.

mcoupemindy
08-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Not auto x'ing, but im in.

See you in a week :biggrin:

pseto
08-18-2008, 09:20 AM
OK everyone ChapterFest is this coming Saturday. Signup online to guarantee your spot and free shirt. There are also spots available for both autocross and Show-and-Shine. These are great events for newbies :D

pseto
08-18-2008, 10:29 AM
I forgot to mention that with all the modders/DIYers on this board, we're gonna have a swap meet too!!!

bring out your unused stuff and i'm sure someone would have some use for it.

there are folks that have tires, rims, brake pads, or whatever, so bring it on out.

JC5
08-18-2008, 05:43 PM
bringing both cars?

Unfortunatly, no. The Z4 is going into the body shop tuesday.

Bob
08-19-2008, 07:17 AM

Mayhaps the term if for the AX event,i.e., You show up, and shine in your AX performance?

pseto
08-19-2008, 01:35 PM
FYI...we have a bunch of really nice cars for the Show-and-Shine: a couple of 2002tii, a Z8 (super rare), and other M cars

For the autocross, we have quite a few 335is, vettes, 911s, a bunch of M cars, Minis, and a few Mazdas and Nissans.

Will be a lot of fun to watch :D

or better yet...join in!!!

Biggins
08-20-2008, 10:08 AM
No love for the 318s?

I like 318's. They seem to be the only car that I'm guaranteed to beat ...

pseto
08-20-2008, 10:23 AM
[quote=pseto;24740]FYI...we have a bunch of really nice cars for the Show-and-Shine: a couple of 2002tii, a Z8 (super rare), and other M cars

For the autocross, we have quite a few 335is, vettes, 911s, a bunch of M cars, Minis, and a few Mazdas and Nissans.[quote]
No love for the 318s?

of course :D they are the silent, deadly type

pseto
08-20-2008, 10:59 AM
everyone - you may want to bring your own CHAIRS, TABLES, BLANKETS, etc since there won't be any out there for us to use.

the weather is looking really nice for Saturday :D

pseto
08-20-2008, 11:29 AM
WOW!!!! We have way more than 200+ registered people for this Saturday. I knew this was gonna be HUGE!!!

I'm sure they'll be plenty of others walking up, so I hope we have enough food :D

bubbletea 4 me
08-20-2008, 12:34 PM
few of us from the E90 post woud like to meet up at Tysons this Saturday and have a group drive to the Chapterfest. just want to throw this out there and see if anyone is interested from this board. should be fun.

I'm aiming for around 10:15 to 10:30 meet up time.

330cic0539
08-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Paul, are you ready for autocrossing in the M ?

pseto
08-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Paul, are you ready for autocrossing in the M ?

not yet, need to get some suspension work done first. owning 3 BMWs is getting quite expensive :D

330cic0539
08-20-2008, 09:32 PM
not yet, need to get some suspension work done first. owning 3 BMWs is getting quite expensive :D

Welcome to the club - but it is better when all 3 are under warranty and have scheduled maintenance:biggrin:

Walka
08-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Hey i didnt realize this wasnt a normal autocross and when it took me to google i thought it messed up. i dont have an account online. Are you going to take cash like normal?

mcoupemindy
08-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Hey i didnt realize this wasnt a normal autocross and when it took me to google i thought it messed up. i dont have an account online. Are you going to take cash like normal?

Yes, it won't be a problem. Just bring $$$ on Saturday. It's not like you haven't been to our events before!

mcoupemindy
08-20-2008, 10:10 PM

If you learn to drive it with a crappy suspension, you will appreciate the new suspension even more. There's NO reason not to autocross Saturday. You've been telling me you were going to do it at ChapterFest ever since we starting planning. Don't wimp out now.

Pete
08-21-2008, 06:51 AM

Nonsense. The best way to learn is on stock suspension. Who cares if it's worn. It will just keep your speeds down. I'm running on 9 year old worn suspension currently and can turn ok times.

Pete

gbauer
08-21-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm running my twin of yours on a stock suspension. Man-up and do it! :tongue:

Seriously though, the stock suspension on the 98 M Roady isn't exactly like the stock suspension on a 99 Honda Accord. It can take a little bit of rough driving...

Oh, btw: just got some new rubber: Pilot Sport PS2's on the front and A/S's on the rear. Should hold pretty well now even though they're not track tires.

mcoupemindy
08-21-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm running my twin of yours on a stock suspension. Man-up and do it! :tongue:

Seriously though, the stock suspension on the 98 M Roady isn't exactly like the stock suspension on a 99 Honda Accord. It can take a little bit of rough driving...

Oh, btw: just got some new rubber: Pilot Sport PS2's on the front and A/S's on the rear. Should hold pretty well now even though they're not track tires.

PAUL ... I know you are reading this ... THERE IS NO EXCUSE NOT TO AUTOCROSS!!! i promise you that you won't live it down if you are too big of a chicken to do it.

pseto
08-21-2008, 09:39 AM
PAUL ... I know you are reading this ... THERE IS NO EXCUSE NOT TO AUTOCROSS!!! i promise you that you won't live it down if you are too big of a chicken to do it.

still not a convincing enough argument :D besides I've been known to cluck in the past

There's some rattling going on somewhere that I need to try and find. Happened the other day when I hit a huge bump; hopefully nothing is cracked or falling off.

mcoupemindy
08-21-2008, 09:43 AM
still not a convincing enough argument :D besides I've been known to cluck in the past

There's some rattling going on somewhere that I need to try and find. Happened the other day when I hit a huge bump; hopefully nothing is cracked or falling off.

I've just added you to the autocross list. See you on Saturday.

Now there's no excuse ...

Bimmer3
08-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Silly question, and not that I need any more T-shirts, or food, for that matter, but are they included in the autocross "registration" of $25 for members? Or do we also need to do the general registration?

I hope there will be enough room for the autocrossers to park. If you need help, I'll volunteer to help with course set-up/chalking cones, etc. If so, what time should I be there (it's been a while since I've done a club event)?

See you all Saturday.
Brian

Bimmer3
08-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Paul, I'm sure I can autocross that noise right out of the car for you. :wink:

Actually, ride with me in the 2nd heat and then drive yourself in 3rd heat. What could possibly keep you from wanting to drive? You MUST autocross!

Brian

mcoupemindy
08-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Silly question, and not that I need any more T-shirts, or food, for that matter, but are they included in the autocross "registration" of $25 for members? Or do we also need to do the general registration?

I hope there will be enough room for the autocrossers to park. If you need help, I'll volunteer to help with course set-up/chalking cones, etc. If so, what time should I be there (it's been a while since I've done a club event)?

See you all Saturday.
Brian

Autocross registration includes general registration.

Bowie has plenty of spaces to park everyone. It just may not be as close as we are used to parking.

See you out there Saturday Brian.

mcoupemindy
08-21-2008, 11:28 AM
2008 chapterfest
schedule of events
august 23, 2008

8:00am facility opens
8:30am autocross tech inspection opens
9:00am autocross course open for walking
9:15am autocross driver’s meeting
9:30am autocross heat #1 begins
10:00am swap meet starts
11:00am show & shine judging begins
11:30am autocross tech inspection opens
12:00pm food arrives (red, hot & blue)
12:00pm autocross course open for walking
12:15pm autocross driver’s meeting
12:30pm autocross heat #2 begins
1:30pm autocross tech inspection opens
1:30pm last call for show & shine ballots
2:00pm show & shine awards presented
2:00pm autocross course open for walking
2:15pm autocross driver’s meeting
2:30pm autocross heat #3 begins
4:00pm cleanup and teardown
(volunteers are greatly appreciated)

mcoupemindy
08-21-2008, 11:31 AM
I need nine (9) volunteers to work the waiver / payment gate that we will be setting up. If you are autocrossing, this WILL count for your work assignment. Please email me at jmthayer@<hidden> if you could volunteer to work a slot.

Pete
08-21-2008, 01:16 PM
I need nine (9) volunteers to work the waiver / payment gate that we will be setting up. If you are autocrossing, this WILL count for your work assignment. Please email me at jmthayer@<hidden> if you could volunteer to work a slot.

I'll be there bright and ugly in the AM. I'll run timing in the morning (For a heat or so) to free you up a bit.

Pete

mcoupemindy
08-21-2008, 01:27 PM
I'll be there bright and ugly in the AM. I'll run timing in the morning (For a heat or so) to free you up a bit.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

Actually, I won't have my hands in anything autocross. Bogdan is running the AutoX himself as I will be coordinating a bunch of other things going on.

pseto
08-22-2008, 07:43 AM

We're looking for a few volunteers to help out tomorrow. Only an hour of your time is needed and this will be to help man registration. If anyone is bringing their wives/girlfriends, this will be a good opportunity to have them help out (and give you some time to hang with the guys :D).

Please shoot Jonathan an email

Pete
08-22-2008, 07:51 AM
I'll be dragging Eric and Adam with me in the morning.

pseto
08-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Online registration is now CLOSED; only walk-ups tomorrow will be accepted. Walk-ups will not be guaranteed a chapter TShirt (which are very nice BTW) and maybe waitlisted for AutoX.

Also, walk-ups are required to bring their own BBQ, since you weren't included in our original numbers :D (just kidding, we should have enough food, I hope)

mcoupemindy
08-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Online registration is now CLOSED; only walk-ups tomorrow will be accepted. Walk-ups will not be guaranteed a chapter TShirt (which are very nice BTW) and maybe waitlisted for AutoX.

Also, walk-ups are required to bring their own BBQ, since you weren't included in our original numbers :D (just kidding, we should have enough food, I hope)

We still have plenty of autocross spots in the first and third heats.

BradMW
08-22-2008, 10:48 AM
This will be my first autocross, I'm excited.

mcoupemindy
08-22-2008, 10:51 AM
This will be my first autocross, I'm excited.
:icon_clap Alright! Just ask for help if you need some!

Scany
08-22-2008, 11:07 AM
[quote=Biggins;24752][quote=pseto;24740]FYI...we have a bunch of really nice cars for the Show-and-Shine: a couple of 2002tii, a Z8 (super rare), and other M cars

For the autocross, we have quite a few 335is, vettes, 911s, a bunch of M cars, Minis, and a few Mazdas and Nissans.

of course :D they are the silent, deadly type

I'll bring the 318 and it shouldn't be silent, that's for sure, maybe not deadly :biggrin: It's all about experience. Jonathan loves the acoustics in our lovely 318! :tongue:

mcoupemindy
08-22-2008, 11:43 AM
[quote=pseto;24753][quote=Biggins;24752]

I'll bring the 318 and it shouldn't be silent, that's for sure, maybe not deadly :biggrin: It's all about experience. Jonathan loves the acoustics in our lovely 318! :tongue:

I'm excited!!! w00t w00t!

pseto
08-22-2008, 01:02 PM
We're looking for a few volunteers to help out tomorrow. Only an hour of your time is needed and this will be to help man registration. If anyone is bringing their wives/girlfriends, this will be a good opportunity to have them help out (and give you some time to hang with the guys :D).

Please shoot Jonathan an email

any other volunteers? I promise we won't work you too hard :D

thotts
08-22-2008, 01:55 PM
hi,

my name is gina and i'm a total noob. i've been a member for almost 2 years, but never attended anything like this.

i'm willing to help out. i'm arriving around 10am, so let me know what i can do to help.

pseto
08-22-2008, 01:58 PM
hi,

my name is gina and i'm a total noob. i've been a member for almost 2 years, but never attended anything like this.

i'm willing to help out. i'm arriving around 10am, so let me know what i can do to help.

great Gina, thx. can you shoot Jonathan an email to let him know of your intentions? jmthayer@<hidden>

hoyabmw
08-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Looks like I may actually be able to make it for first heat tomorrow. I'll be there early to help with setup. Gonna be a busy autox weekend!

mcoupemindy
08-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Looks like I may actually be able to make it for first heat tomorrow. I'll be there early to help with setup. Gonna be a busy autox weekend!

You going to FedEx in the afternoon to set up for AI?

tenfifteen
08-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Pics from the event today...

If I didn't get a shot of your car, my apologies. If I did, and you'd like a higher-res version, just PM or email me (tenfifteen@<hidden>).

Enjoy.

http://www.tenfifteen.net/photos/nccbmwcca-chapterfest-2008/

EDIT: If the above pics (960x600) won't fit in your browser, you can use the following link (640x400):

http://www.tenfifteen.net/photos/nccbmwcca-chapterfest-2008-sm/

2000_328ci
08-23-2008, 09:45 PM
was a fantastic event.. i loved the drive up, the show and shine, and it was amazing to ride shotgun on the autocross

mcoupemindy
08-24-2008, 06:30 AM
Autocross results are up!!!

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?results

mcoupemindy
08-24-2008, 07:00 AM
I also just updated the YTD Class / Points standings.

mcoupemindy
08-24-2008, 08:10 AM
And I put some pictures up too ...

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonathan.michael.thayer/

I'm still waiting for an explanation from Jimmy on how this occured ...

Scany
08-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Great experience! Thanks to those of you that obviously did a lot of work to make it happen.

SpongeBob
08-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Miriam wanted to know why I changed my shorts when I got home....

THANKS for a fun day. Great effort, both AutoX and Social!!!!!

BradMW
08-24-2008, 12:47 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to those who took time to organize this event, I don't think I have ever had so much fun. It was my first time autoxing, but I'm sure I'll be at the next event in September even if I do look silly crossing in a vert. Anyone have pointers on how to prevent an auto e46 from dropping gears (2->1)?

Thanks,
~Brad

Biggins
08-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Anyone have pointers on how to prevent an auto e46 from dropping gears (2->1)?
Put it in manual mode and manually shift it if you have a manual mode. It has worked for me in my E36 for several years.

BradMW
08-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Put it in manual mode and manually shift it if you have a manual mode. It has worked for me in my E36 for several years.

That's what I did, just left it in 2nd after the launch and it was fine for most of the run, but that one particularly slow corner before the long straight near the end put it down to 1st every run. I believe some other people with autos had the same problem.

Jim Dunlap
08-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Just want to say THANKS to the gang - you know who you are - that made ChapterFest such a great day. When a club's top management is serving food and emptying trash cans...well, it's obviously a heartfelt effort. Loved the cars lined up for the Show & Shine! As for two off courses in four runs? Must be someone else's fault. Evil cone movers. So stealthy. Next time I'm bringing spotters and radio telecom commo gear. Again...thanks!!! Great job.

pseto
08-24-2008, 10:04 PM
To all,

I want to thank everyone that came out to ChapterFest yesterday. It was an absolute success and quite possibly the biggest chapter event ever (definitely bigger than last year's Fall Meet). Although I'm awaiting the final results, I'm very certain we had way more than 300+ people and 200+ cars!!!

All the NCC officers and program directors were very pleased with the turnout and we all hope that you have seen parts of the chapter that you havent seen before. Combining autox, concours, and a social takes some intricate planning, and hopefully more members will now partipate in other concours events and/or autox their cars (lets get those garage queens out and see how your car was meant to be handled).

We were fortunate the weather cooperated and there were some unbelievable cars out there. All the vintage 2002s, super clean M cars, the highly modded and the extremely rare (that Z8 was incredible) all came to make a presense, and it was worth the price of admission IMO.

Sorry about the gravel parking for general admission, but didn't know about the lot setup until too late. I'd like to have everyone in the same general location, so we'll work on that in the future. No complaints either about Red, Hot, and Blue, other than having too much food left over. I'll be eating pulled pork and chicken for quite a while :thumsup:

We have quite a few ideas to improve next year's ChapterFest. Not bad that we really only had a few weeks to put this show on, so we'll make sure that next year we start a little earlier to tighten up some of the loose areas.

As the biggest chapter in the US, we are very fortunate to have the resources and more importantly, the volunteers, to put on such events. I want to also personally thank everyone who helped ChapterFest make such a sucess: Jonathan Thayer (the mastermind) and the entire autox group, Bill Williams and the vintage crew for running the Show-and-Shine, Algie Livingston for handling all the food, and all the other volunteers who put in some time to make everything run smoothly.

I saw a bunch of smiles and received tons of positive feedback yesterday and being my own harshest critic, we'll plan to make the future events even bigger and better.

Please post your pics ASAP (there's a 2008 ChapterFest section in the Gallery), so others can kick themselves for not being there :D

tenfifteen
08-25-2008, 06:57 AM
Pat yourself on the back Paul (and everyone else who made it such a success). This was the first one I'd been to, and I couldn't believe it'd been since '02 since NCC had done one. It looked to me like you folks do this every year: Well-organized and lots of fun.

Pete
08-25-2008, 09:17 AM
We skipped it last year. Prior to that we did chapterfest consistantly. Weather and volunteers to help limited turn out for the last few ones.

Munchenman2
08-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Well said Paul.

Since this old fogey is still trying to remember names and faces, I don't want to slight anyone by not mentioning their name. Suffice to say, it took many many people working together as a terrific team to stage such a great day at the Bowie ChapterFest.

So many things went absolutely right, and the only thing I remember going wrong was my staying on the AutoCross course. It was good fun to exercise the wooden-frame motorcar in semi-serious competition. Perhaps I can do it again, since the driver, not the Morgan, needs improvement.

Thanks to all for your contributions to a first-class ChapterFest. If you wish you can count on my help next year.

Alan :biggrin:
2003/4 Morgan +8

pseto
08-25-2008, 11:23 AM
photo gallery updated to include my pictures. feel free to add your own.

http://gallery.nccbmwcca.org/showgallery.php?cat=622

gbauer
08-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Well said Paul.

Since this old fogey is still trying to remember names and faces, I don't want to slight anyone by not mentioning their name. Suffice to say, it took many many people working together as a terrific team to stage such a great day at the Bowie ChapterFest.

So many things went absolutely right, and the only thing I remember going wrong was my staying on the AutoCross course. It was good fun to exercise the wooden-frame motorcar in semi-serious competition. Perhaps I can do it again, since the driver, not the Morgan, needs improvement.

Thanks to all for your contributions to a first-class ChapterFest. If you wish you can count on my help next year.

Alan :biggrin:
2003/4 Morgan +8

That was definitly a nice car you had there! I didn't realize it was a wood-frame. It looked like it handled pretty well for what it is! Nice job!

pseto
08-25-2008, 05:51 PM
GBauer found some utube videos

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301137&page=3

mcoupemindy
08-25-2008, 05:56 PM

Thanks for posting. Someone is going to need a stern talking to. Handheld video cameras are NOT PERMITTED in our events.

Biggins
08-25-2008, 06:08 PM
I apologize to everyone who had to park away from the main autocross and show area in the gravel lot. I'll take responsibility for it since I was working morning registration with Katie and never got to see how big the show area was going to be. Parking in the gravel lot was my idea because I predicted that we would need much more of the staging/show area for autocrossers changing tires and was unsure how large the show area was (Eric and I actually extended the show area by 15-20 more spots). Again, this was an unknown because the autocrossers did not seem to take up as much space at this autocross as I remembered they had in past events at Bowie.

I was astonished how many cars and people we had attend this event. I've been to many Chapterfests in the past several years, and I have to say this one was pretty awesome. I think it went off without any major issues as well. I also think we had more VA people since they didn't have to go all the way to Ripken this time (even though I dearly miss it). I didn't realize how many BMW fanatics were out there until Saturday. The car show looked like it had some awesome variety, but that Inka 2002 stuck out as my favorite. Unfortunately, I was too busy to put in my ballot.

As far as the autocross, I'm definitely glad to be out there autoxing again. My new tires are pretty sweet, but still not good enough to catch my "rivals." At least I beat Eric in my own car. Maybe I'll be a little less rusty for the next event. I'm sorry I couldn't stay to help clean up after third, but I hope you guys weren't there too late.

pseto
08-25-2008, 06:17 PM
I apologize to everyone who had to park away from the main autocross and show area in the gravel lot. I'll take responsibility for it since I was working morning registration with Katie and never got to see how big the show area was going to be. Parking in the gravel lot was my idea because I predicted that we would need much more of the staging/show area for autocrossers changing tires and was unsure how large the show area was (Eric and I actually extended the show area by 15-20 more spots). Again, this was an unknown because the autocrossers did not seem to take up as much space at this autocross as I remembered they had in past events at Bowie.

No need to defend/blame yourself, this was a learning experience for everyone. We all have takebacks that we'll learn from, myself definitely included.

I'd also like to recognize those 'seasoned' autox drivers that took people around for hot laps. A lot of folks really enjoyed that, even if they were screaming at the top of their lungs!!! I think my ears are still ringing from hearing Alicia from across the parking lot :D

mcoupemindy
08-25-2008, 06:19 PM
A lot of folks really enjoyed that, even if they were screaming at the top of their lungs!!!

I could have put down much better runs with them in the car, but I was too busy laughing my @<hidden>$$ off from them screming.

AG
08-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Any chance turnout was high enough to warrant renting FedEx for next year? :D

mcoupemindy
08-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Any chance turnout was high enough to warrant renting FedEx for next year? :D

FedEx is EXTREMELY hard to acquire and costs big $$$. But honestly, anything is possible!

Biggins
08-25-2008, 06:25 PM
That's what I did, just left it in 2nd after the launch and it was fine for most of the run, but that one particularly slow corner before the long straight near the end put it down to 1st every run. I believe some other people with autos had the same problem.
I downshifted to first in manual-mode before going into the slow corner (before passing back through the islands) on each run and got consistently faster. Eric drove my car in auto-mode and it would shift all over the place.

It's frustrating having an automatic for autocross, but I've learned how to manually shift it when need be. I have to downshift in slow corners with a 318 because it has NO power at all.... but just focus on getting the right lines and staying smooth before worrying too much about anything else.

SamB325es
08-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Were more people shifting into first? I thought about it, If I had I probably would have been 3 or 4 seconds faster! (wink)
Oh well, at least my eta beat an M coupe! (wink again)

Thanks for a great Chapterfest!
:)

gbauer
08-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Were more people shifting into first? I thought about it, If I had I probably would have been 3 or 4 seconds faster! (wink)

When I was watching the course at the island, it seemed like almost every auto downshifted. The M's (mine included), on the other hand, all seemed to have enough torque to avoid it. If you entered the 90 degree'er right, you didn't need to downshift.

Now, that last left-hander, on the other hand... I couldn't seem to keep my rear tires in the back of my car! It was like the back was racing the front across the line at the end especially on that first run of mine when I spun out completely!

(I have the silver M roady without the bling-chrome rims...)

Braineack
08-25-2008, 08:35 PM

I have my four runs on Youtube. I have pictures to add as well, but I have yet to download them.

Run #1: Offcourse (48.416 o/c)
RrrbgITKCJw&fmt=18

Run #2: My FTD (48.272)
wHepbvczs7c&fmt=18

Run #3: Ride Along (48.4xx)
GVz181dkZRc&fmt=18

Run #4: My FTD + 1 cone :( (47.824 +1)
RrrbgITKCJw&fmt=18

Biggins
08-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Your car had enough torque to get away with it...
How about that? my little 4-banger hung right with (and beat many) M times too. :wink:

I just need to get a real transmission or a car with more power so everyone tells me.

BradMW
08-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks for posting. Someone is going to need a stern talking to. Handheld video cameras are NOT PERMITTED in our events.

Ahhhhh, sorry, that video's mine. :frown: My friend and I were first-timers and didn't know any better, but should have. I'll get a mount for September's cross; does anyone have any recommendations on a camera setup for a e46 vert? Thanks!

mcoupemindy
08-26-2008, 05:59 AM

Someone older and wiser asked me to clairify this post ...

All equipment inside cars which includes video recorders and cameras must be securely mounted to the vehicle without chance of becoming a projectile. Handheld video recorders and cameras are unacceptable as it is possible for them to get loose within the car hitting either drivers or passengers, or, even worse, get tossed outside the car and possibly hitting a course worker. Plus, we don't want you to break your nice video equipment. We typically ask politely to remove them, but I didn't see it occurring. Thanks for understanding.

mcoupemindy
08-26-2008, 06:03 AM
Ahhhhh, sorry, that video's mine. :frown: My friend and I were first-timers and didn't know any better, but should have. I'll get a mount for September's cross; does anyone have any recommendations on a camera setup for a e46 vert? Thanks!

No harm, no foul! Thanks for understanding and great job with your times. I love seeing in car video, it's just my job to point out safety concerns to ensure that everyone has a great, safe time.

mcoupemindy
08-26-2008, 06:04 AM
Shameless Plug ...

Registration for our next autocross event on September 13th is now open. Register here:
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=98,668,0,0,1,0

AlfaEric
08-26-2008, 09:35 AM
I downshifted to first in manual-mode before going into the slow corner (before passing back through the islands) on each run and got consistently faster. Eric drove my car in auto-mode and it would shift all over the place.

It's frustrating having an automatic for autocross, but I've learned how to manually shift it when need be. I have to downshift in slow corners with a 318 because it has NO power at all.... but just focus on getting the right lines and staying smooth before worrying too much about anything else.
It only shifted to 1st in a couple spots. One was coming back up through the islands (which was fine, I wanted it to) and one was when you were heading towards the bottom lot. I was able to keep off the gas enough to keep it from doing it for one run and it was much better.

I think all the talk about shifting into 1st is from people who were driving automatics. There were a few spots that forced the car to slow down enough where the car would shift (when you didn't want it to).

---Eric