PDA

View Full Version : August 2-3, HSS & DE @ Shenandoah Circuit

1996 328ti
05-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Pre-registration begins May 26.

Highway Safety School still only $125.00
Sunday Drivers' Education, $215.00.

The registration period to mail your form is June 9 - June 14.

Scany
05-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Trying to get my fiance to do the HSS (if "family camp weekend" doesn't crash my plans). It will be her first car event ever and she's nervous about it. I've never done HSS so I don't really know the specifics on this event. She'll be fine with "no skills" and a E39 528iA right? :)

And then I can register for the DE. What a great family event it looks like! :)

Car54
05-25-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm looking at doing the same family plan. Can we camp at the Shen?

tenfifteen
05-26-2008, 06:48 AM
That makes three... me and the missus at HSS, just me for Sunday's DE. Glad some other ladies will be in attendance so my wife won't feel like the lone gal. I've never been to either DE or HSS, so I have no idea what to tell her to expect. Anyhow, see everyone there!

Scany
05-26-2008, 09:57 AM
All clear with other family plans :)

Craig:does that mean you'll be camping if it's allowed? We'll join you if so.

Now let me go to the garage and get these cars working... the Tahoe ain't running, the 5 series needs shocks, and the 318 needs rollbar, seats and belts...

Anyone know where the cheapest place to rent a car hauler is?

fpol
05-27-2008, 10:28 AM
There was a ton of camping during the Trackdaze event so it's definitely allowed, but everyone was campedl where NCC does Skidpad. I'm pretty sure though that my last NCC school there last year, someone was camped along Big bend.

Car54
05-28-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm thinking about doing the HSS for myself. I'm not REAL experienced HPDE driver, but have had a few track days. I'm really interested in getting out of control and regain control either on skidpad or in emergency maneuvers. Those of you instructing and who have done this before, would someone who's done some of these events before get much out of this? Is it more car control 101? Or is it more custom tailored to your skill set?

islavov
06-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Pre-registration begins May 26.

Highway Safety School still only $125.00
Sunday Drivers' Education, $215.00.

The registration period to mail your form is June 9 - June 14.

Is the Sunday Drivers' Education DE event full?

I just realized I missed the reg period:confused:.

I am talking about two people here in C group

Can we still register and mail in forms or is too late?...

Thanks in advance,
Ivan

tenfifteen
07-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Have acceptance notifications gone out? I mailed my pre-reg on the first day, wife's two days later, haven't seen acceptance emails for either one. Sorry... my first time, no idea what the usual flow is for these things.

Scany
07-02-2008, 12:28 PM
I haven't received anything either so I guess it's not out yet.

1996 328ti
07-02-2008, 07:40 PM
I don't think letters went out yet.

islavov
07-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Is the Sunday Drivers' Education DE event full?

I just realized I missed the reg period:confused:.

I am talking about two people here in C group

Can we still register and mail in forms or is too late?...

Thanks in advance,
Ivan

I was wondering about notifications as well, but on the other hand I was little late mailing in papers.

Since no one has received anything yet, I am keeping my fingures crossed hoping to make it to the roster...

tenfifteen
07-14-2008, 03:12 AM
Any news? Today's the only day I can get out to RRT for the tech inspection, hate to go out there unnecessarily.

EDIT: Went anyway, RRT are a nice bunch of folks and obviously the price is right. Hit OG for my helmet since I was in the neighborhood... Good to go! Wife may not make the HSS, however.

Car54
07-14-2008, 08:06 PM
How's attendance, got room for one more?

tenfifteen
07-15-2008, 04:08 AM
Got my acceptance email this morning...

glindsay
07-15-2008, 07:19 AM
Got mine too. Please, let's all reply to Doug Verner confirming receipt and thanking him for his time and dedication.

Jenson Button
07-15-2008, 08:05 AM
To answer some of the previous posters questions about the HSS:

The event includes skid pad time which is invaluable IMO. Everyone can use some skidpad time.

There are also emergency lane change drills, slalomns with varying cone distances and around bends, and threshold braking drills.

In the afternoon, IIRC, we run full laps with instructors in the right seat stressing the value of optimizing vision and stressing proper driving mechanics. If possible, try to get a ride with an instructor driving the excersises and taking laps. It can provide a good example of what the goals are.

My wife attended a HSS years ago and enjoyed it, but it did not make her a track junkie. It did give her a new appreciation of what is possible and not possible in a car.

Car54
07-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Checks in the mail....hope to see you guys out there Sunday.

Car54
07-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Scany, are you doing Sunday and wife Saturday?

woodym3
07-15-2008, 01:32 PM
In the afternoon, IIRC, we run full laps with instructors in the right seat stressing the value of optimizing vision and stressing proper driving mechanics.

Bob,
The full lapping sessions were dropped from the Highway Safety School program several years ago.

I agree that the skidpad and other excercises can be invaluable for a driver at any level. We only host this event once a year and I highly recommend it for you, your spouse, your son or daughter, or your parents.

Jenson Button
07-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Bob,
The full lapping sessions were dropped from the Highway Safety School program several years ago.

I included the "IIRC" because I thought that might be the case. I have instructed similar events recently that Miriam still included the full laps. Sorry for the confusion.

Car54
07-15-2008, 07:49 PM
... or your parents.

No thanks.

Scany
07-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Had to cancel :( Maybe next time.

TheAbsolutM3
07-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi y'all,

I'm new to message board and to the Drivers programs here sponsored by the NCC. Although my dad has been a chapter member for a few years now, I haven't gotten the chance to attend any of the schools since we only acquired our second BMW, a pre-owned 325i sport, last fall (before then, it was an X3, not permitted).

I just saw the Highway Safety School event when we received the newsletter and am sort of scrambling to get the stuff in order. I do have a couple questions regarding the event.:confused:

1. Is it possible to get a helmet loaner for the day, and if so, where? I did a search, and while there is lots of info for buying one, I'm not sure if I want to lay down $300 or so for a helmet right now.

2. I believe the vehicle has to be inspected at a local shop. Should I just tell them I need a technical inspection?

Thanks for any help!
Matt

Car54
07-17-2008, 03:08 PM
This is easy...what size helmet do you need? If L or XL the autox group can loan you one for the day. Otherwise you can rent one from OG Racing, for like $25. I understand you get that money back in the form of a gift certificate so it's really a good deal. OG Racing is in Sterling, VA

For inspection, go to RRT www.roadracetech.com in Dulles for a free inspection.

Get signed up..you have to get the letter and check in the mail tomorrow!!!

woodym3
07-17-2008, 05:08 PM
I doubt if this list has been updated for a LONG time:

http://www.nccbmwcca.org:80/index.php?id=17,175,0,0,1,0

If you're going to OG Racing for the helmet rental, RRT is in the neighborhood.

tenfifteen
07-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Didn't know about the helmet until I'd bought mine at OG. D'oh. Oh well... don't have to make the return 55-mile trip to take it back when I'm done. ;)

This will be my first track event (doing both days), am approaching it as a completely new driver (even though I started driving in 1986). Been years since I owned an RWD car, so I'm just entering this with the mindset that I know absolutely nada.

That said, unbelievably stoked. See you all there!

TheAbsolutM3
07-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks for all the help guys! I sent in the registration forms on Thursday.....how do I know if I'm accepted?

tenfifteen.......I was at RRT on Tues. I think and saw a nice M3 in the garage :cool: I'm guessing that was yours? Nice ride!

Car54
07-19-2008, 11:11 AM
You'll get an email from Doug.

tenfifteen
07-19-2008, 07:27 PM
tenfifteen.......I was at RRT on Tues. I think and saw a nice M3 in the garage :cool: I'm guessing that was yours? Nice ride!
No sir, mine's the one in the sig... I went in on Monday (7/14). The day I was there, they had two fairly-prepped E30 M3s and a wicked-looking 2002; nice set of serious track wheels on it, looked like SSRs, couldn't tell though.

Quick question for anyone who'd know... Without making a nuisance of myself, I wouldn't mind taking some photographs while there. Not sure if we'll have 'downtime' between sessions, or if the day is fully packed. Happy to supply pics to the group, of course.

Some of my work from last week's Lime Rock race can be found here (takes a while to load):

http://www.tenfifteen.net/photos/alms-limerock-2008/

islavov
07-22-2008, 10:07 PM
OK guys,

I am officially on the roster for HPDE on Sunday.

I am also at the main track July 26-27 with NJ chapter and then the following Sunday for this HPDE event.

Can't wait...

See yah!

Ivan

Car54
07-23-2008, 03:39 PM
See you there Ivan! Glad you got on the roster. Look for VIR event in September hosted by the Tarheel chapter.

TheAbsolutM3
07-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Damn, I'm nervous if I'll even get in. I sent it in last week, haven't heard yet. What happens to the $125 I sent in, if I don't get a space?

Car54
07-23-2008, 07:19 PM
For Saturday you should be ok...the Sunday event was much closer to being full.

OwnedbyDuncan
07-24-2008, 05:16 AM
Damn, I'm nervous if I'll even get in. I sent it in last week, haven't heard yet. What happens to the $125 I sent in, if I don't get a space?

The registar and coordinator split the proceeds with the chief instructor
and go out buy some very nice single malt scotch to help them recover from putting on the school and strippers for those special board meetings.

You didnt want your money back right?

Dave Apker former DS coordinator

islavov
07-29-2008, 04:17 PM
See you there Ivan! Glad you got on the roster. Look for VIR event in September hosted by the Tarheel chapter.

Thanks Craig,

See you at the track!

Ivan

mcoupemindy
07-29-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm still waiting on a response and the event is Sunday ...

TheAbsolutM3
07-30-2008, 08:52 AM
I got my acceptance email last Saturday :) Tech inspection today.

TheAbsolutM3
07-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Oh god, of all my :icon_ange luck with this 325i.

Funktion Auto did a pre-track inspection today. The 3 failed because of a fairly substantial gash in the rear tire. It looks mild, but cuts all the way into the core. I have a mad-dash appointment tomorrow at the dealership to get it done under the Tire/Wheel Warranty, in time for Saturday.

pcoviello
08-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Has anyone gone to the Saturday event before? How late in the day does it go? I'm trying to figure out if I can make it back to DC easily.

-Paul

OwnedbyDuncan
08-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Depending on your run group the event ends at 500pm. If you arent the last run group your day may end around 330pm to 400pm. It takes me about 70 minutes to get home to Clifton depending on traffic on Rt 50
between Rt 15 and Rt 28 in the late afternoon.

Please remember that the VA and MD State troopers have the BSR schedule as do most of the local jurisdictions in VA to include Loudon, FFX and Clarke County PD or Sheriffs.

Not sure who you are sharing Summit Point w but LE will be out in the morning on Rt 15 and Rt 7. Be very careful heading North on Rt15 just as the speed drops from 45mph to 35mph as you enter Leesburg before taking RT 7W. Also watch the overpassses for the Rt7 bypasses on RT7W
before you climb the hill to RT 9. And then the usual areas on Rt 7W.

On the trip home they will probaly be in first cut through after you come down Mt Weather on RT7 E and then again on the cut throughs on the long straight section of RT7E. Just set the cruise control for 65mph and you should be fine.

And remember 20+ over the posted speed limit in VA is Reckless Driving and maybe Aggressive Driving both Class 1 misd. And LE loves to get their meet and greet quota done at the beginning of the month.

Dave Apker and the collies

woodym3
08-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Going to the track last Sunday morning I saw 3 state troopers giving tickets on the Dulles toll road. Didn't see any speed enforcement between Dulles and Berryville.

Dirichlet
08-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Good luck and be safe to all... the financial coffers were a lil' on the shallow side for me... next school will be Shen in Oct.
See you there.
~C

Jenson Button
08-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Coming in from Baltimore was riddled with po-po too last time I went to Summit. There was a GT3 being taxed on 340 when I went by. For those that go through Charlestown, go 25 mph from the stop sign until the RR crossing. They LOVE to neb 'em there.

tenfifteen
08-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Tested at 1280x1024 display resolution in Firefox/IE under Windows XP. Click a pic to 'blow it up' to full size, click again to zoom out. If one of these is your car and you'd like a higher-res version or print, just contact me via PM. Sorry I didn't get everyone's cars here, but time was limited, and of course, no D-group cars herein.

http://tenfifteen.net/photos/bmwcca-de-200808/

Had a blast, learned more than I can believe, and am definitely doing it again in October. I feel like I'd only just started to 'get it' by my third and fourth sessions yesterday, but the combination of trepidation at speed and my complete inexperience held me back somewhat. Whatever though, that's why they call it a school... and for my first one, I'll call it a success.

Many thanks for the invaluable experience, guidance and of course, patience of my instructors: Jim Koca (in-car instructor for both HSS & DE), David Miller and Charles Karnati (skidpad), Miriam Schottland (HSS classroom), and last, but certainly not least, Dave Bryan for letting me spend a truly epic half-hour in his E30 M3 for an end-of-1st-day instructor ride-a-long.

Chas2
08-04-2008, 10:35 AM
I attended the Saturday Highway Safety School. My first ever such event, and I want to say that I cannot believe the quality of instruction I received at the school, even though there were many things I did not "get". William Duvall, as an in-car instructor was fantastic. I cannot imagine a better, more patient, and POSITIVE instructor. I really appreciated seeing what good, smooth, and safe driving was with the fantastic ride he gave me at the end of the day.

I also have to take my hat off to the skidpad instructors. That was the most eye-opening exercise of all, and certainly dissipated any notions I have been fed about how all-wheel drive is better, safer, etc. In the end, physics rules no matter what you are driving, and when you lose it, you lose it, and no amount of all wheel drive is going to save you. Miriam told us that in the classroom, and it was well demonstrated on the skidpad by instructors David, Kirk and Charles.

I think I am going to bore all of my friends by telling them about this, how they ought to join the club and participate in events like this so they can learn how to drive properly and safely, and have loads of fun. I am also going to make a point of telling all friends with teenage drivers how they ought send their kids to Teen Street Survival or this school.

Great job by all.

OwnedbyDuncan
08-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Tested at 1280x1024 display resolution in Firefox/IE under Windows XP. Click a pic to 'blow it up' to full size, click again to zoom out. If one of these is your car and you'd like a higher-res version or print, just contact me via PM. Sorry I didn't get everyone's cars here, but time was limited, and of course, no D-group cars herein.

http://tenfifteen.net/photos/bmwcca-de-200808/

Had a blast, learned more than I can believe, and am definitely doing it again in October. I feel like I'd only just started to 'get it' by my third and fourth sessions yesterday, but the combination of trepidation at speed and my complete inexperience held me back somewhat. Whatever though, that's why they call it a school... and for my first one, I'll call it a success.

Many thanks for the invaluable experience, guidance and of course, patience of my instructors: Jim Koca (in-car instructor for both HSS & DE), David Miller and Charles Karnati (skidpad), Miriam Schottland (HSS classroom), and last, but certainly not least, Dave Bryan for letting me spend a truly epic half-hour in his E30 M3 for an end-of-1st-day instructor ride-a-long.

If you get a chance ride with Dave Bryan when the the track is wet. its incredible. Remember one school when I was coordinator and he was chief instructor he was riding my ass to get all the students back for lunch and the track green so he could go out on the instructor's run during lunch before the track dried. Dave I am doing the best I can blame you #$*&^
skidpad instructors especially Bill and your lovely wife Sue they are holding things up. Look Dave if it make your happy I have all the students pee on the track for you to keep it wet!

Dave Apker and the collies

1996 328ti
08-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Remember one school when I was coordinator and he was chief instructorAnd one day, in band camp. . .

TheAbsolutM3
08-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I was (unfortunately) only there on Saturday. Nevertheless, it was a blast and I had a great time with Dan March coaching me. His E30 M3 is loads of fun as well, even from the passenger seat. I had more excitement and fizz sitting in his vehicle, than I did driving the 325i. I was glad that there was ample time for a decent number of runs for each exercise. If it was held more often, I would definitely make some of my friends attend and get some experience as well. I really hope to do the Driver's School in the near future, but will probably not be around for the October one (I'll be at school).

I wanted to brush up my driving skills and try and unlearn some bad ones. At the same time, I wanted to see how capable the 325i is. I accomplished both. The braking and slalom exercises were lots of fun. The skidpad fun was diminished somewhat due to my nearly-bald front tires, and combined with a staggered setup, made understeer pretty much the rule of the day. I'll be back with a fresh set of non-RFTs next time! Active steering was probably cheating (:biggrin:), but the sport suspension was tight as hell. The electronic gizmos worked as well, but kinda detracted from the experience. I really do wish they allowed X3s at these events; that would have been my preferred vehicle of choice even if it's AWD and has less straight-line power. Nonetheless, it was a terrific experience that I will not soon forget.

Oh, and the 325i gets 8,4 miles to the gallon on the track. Not bad, considering the X5 4.8i gets 6 miles to the gallon.

OwnedbyDuncan
08-06-2008, 08:45 AM
And one day, in band camp. . .

Sorry Stephen parents sent me to Belfast Ireland where I learned moe important skills than one learns at band camp like playing the skin flute or short sheeting some kids rack! My IRA uncles taught me how to make bombs, how to track the British Army and Royal Ulster constables and the many uses for wire. Learned how to knee cap someone and many other practical skills. My Irish cousin a 5th one she taught me many interesting things!

Wish I spent more time learning Gaelic so I could give commands in Gaelic to the collies.

Dave Apker