PDA

View Full Version : How do I care for a car with broken fan blades

JRansom
02-07-2008, 06:16 PM
I recently had to raise the hood to add washer fluid. What I discovered has me as well as the dealer baffled. I don't think I have ever seen a broken fan blade without front end/radiator/under carriage damage. I guess it could happen but how is the question. No there wasn't any animal fur so PETA can't come after me for letting some pet sleep under the hood. I've attached a few photos for your enjoyment and if you have a story, theory or other comment feel free to share it. Have a great day wherever you drive!

JRansom
02-07-2008, 06:18 PM

JRansom
02-07-2008, 06:21 PM

So, Ever see this before? And to add insult to injury they want to tell me it's my fault. No damage anywhere around the engine compartment to explain the damage.

OwnedbyDuncan
02-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Use the CCA ombudsperson if BMWNA wont pay for it. You have nothing to lose. I personally would blame it on global warming. and Al Gore!

Dave Apker and the collies

///MARINE
02-08-2008, 10:15 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, my friend but, you or someone who has driven your car did this. I know this because I did the exact same thing to my ///M3 the first (and last) time I drove it to Brooklyn. One pothole was all it took to shear most of the blades off of the fan. Which of your cars is this by the way? If YOU were driving when this occured you would remember the jolt that caused it and the weird noises when you put it in gear (if the car has a manual transmission). Perhaps someone else was driving (spouse, child, brother in-law) and hit a pothole or curb but didn't see any external damage and kept it moving. I know I'm getting all "CSI" over here. That's my 2 cents as Zach would say.

P.S. Over all, there is nothing wrong that can't be fixed in a couple of hours at the next DIY. There is one coming up on 2/16. Come on out and get it done!

Happy Trails

woodym3
02-08-2008, 11:10 AM
One blade on my E30 M3 broke a couple of years ago at VIR. Unfortunately it punched a hole in the radiator. At first I thought a bad motor mount had allowed the engine to shift foward, but that wsn't the case.

Biggins
02-08-2008, 11:17 AM
That's what my problem was this summer... hit a BIG bump at Ripken, and the fan shroud snapped and bent the blade a little. A new fan shroud wasn't the answer. My motor dropped 3/4" and moved forward 1/2"... I had my motor mounts replaced, and my car is back to normal.

One blade on my E30 M3 broke a couple of years ago at VIR. Unfortunately it punched a hole in the radiator. At first I though a bad motor mount had allowed the engine to shift foward, but that wsn't the case.

JRansom
02-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Well it's nice to know that after sleeping on my remarks, the dealer has arranged to fix it as a warranty repair.

Jonathan

dinomite
02-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Fans are overrated. After I replaced the radiator in my '97 M3, either I positioned it wrong or fiddled with the radiator clips wrong, but the fan would catch on the radiator. Having heard of people doing fan deletes (zOMG more horsepowers), I just took the fan off and the car has been perfect since. I don't run water wetter, but I did get the lower temperature auxiliary fan switch. I've been at the track and I've also sat in traffic on 95+ degree days without any problems at all.

I know that doesn't really get to what you're asking, but if it comes down to it, don't sweat not having a fan.

87325is
02-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Make sure you check the the fan clutch and see if it is true. I had this happen on my e36 94 and a friend just had it happen on his e46 2002.

When the fan blades broke on both cars the clutch did not run true any more. For both of us, if the old clutch was used it would have broken again. There was a wobble at the nut of the fan clutch. We assumed when blades broke it got caught on his and i know it was caught on mine. Three blades were left and one was jammed in the small coolant line at the top of the radiator housing on the e36.

Not saying it will happen just an FYI. I also dont think the fan is really needed unless you have an automatic in the summer time. I ran all fall winter then spring with out it when it broke.

I would like to second the blamming of Al Gore.

Jared