PDA

View Full Version : NCC March 15-16, 2008 Drivers' School @ SPR

1996 328ti
01-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Preregistration beings Jan 7.
You do not need to preregister the first day, but please preregister before January 22 to ensure you have completed the process.

The cost of this school is $195.00/day.
Remaining schools are subject to change.

If you are not familiar with our registration process, read it here (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=135,0,0,1,0,0).
Most registration issues are browser related.

If you helped in testing the preregistration form last month, you need to preregister again.

The mail in registration period begins January 22 through January 26.
Registration is based on the postmark, not when it's received.
Do not mail it early or late.

I few new things this year.
The mail in registration is one week now.
Retractable hardtops are not allowed at NCC schools.

There is a new cancellation policy.

Student and instructor schedules are finalized and sent to the printer fifteen days prior to the school (namely, on the third Friday preceding the school weekend) (the “Freeze Date”). We are not able to add students from the wait list after the Freeze Date. The school costs are all fixed costs and tuition is priced as low as possible based upon full attendance.

If you notify the Registrar of your cancellation prior to the Freeze Date, you will receive a refund of all amounts paid.

If you notify the Registrar on or after the Freeze Date, and up until 9:00 p.m. the Friday immediately preceding the school weekend, you will receive a refund of one-half of your school tuition (regardless of the reason for the cancellation). Notification of the Registrar may be made by email to nccdsregistrar@<hidden>, or home phone 301.990.1315 or cell phone 301.526.4548.

If you fail to attend the school without notifying the Registrar prior to 9:00 p.m. the Friday before the school, you will forfeit your entire school tuition for that weekend.

School Fees
Expect an increase.
Past fees have remained the same despite increased expenses.
The new rates will be posted prior to January 21.

A new cast of characters.
Drivers’ School Coordinator: Matt Oleksiak
Student Rep: Tony Clark; Ass’t Student Rep: David Miller
Chief Tech Inspector: Bill Duvall

The same staff of volunteers continue.
Thank them!

Chief Instructor: Bill Shook
IA Administrator: Pete Read
Instructor Rep: Eric Carnell
Chair: Roy Morris
Chief Tech Inspector: Bill Duvall
Registrar: Doug Verner

shoe
01-07-2008, 12:38 PM
FYI: The first day to register, 21 Jan 08, is a federal holiday. The post office will not be open for normal business.

1996 328ti
01-07-2008, 01:54 PM
FYI: The first day to register, 21 Jan 08, is a federal holiday. The post office will not be open for normal business.I could have sworn I checked the calendar. But correct. I'll change it to Jan 22.

lax01
01-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Pre-registered...

Bruce N
01-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Pre-registered also. Maybe I can remember to put the check in the mail on time this time around.

VA 330Ci
01-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Are we still mailing the registration to Doug (ie, the address we get with the pre-registration papers)?

Also, any word on an increase in fees?

Thanks,
Steve

woodym3
01-15-2008, 10:00 AM
The board is still discussing the entry fee, but I think you will continue to find it a bargain compared to other organizations.

1996 328ti
01-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Are we still mailing the registration to Doug (ie, the address we get with the pre-registration papers)?Correct.

VA 330Ci
01-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks guys!!! Looking forward to March.:biggrin:

Steve

lax01
01-15-2008, 02:41 PM
The board is still discussing the entry fee, but I think you will continue to find it a bargain compared to other organizations.

Saw your letter in Roundel...nice work

1996 328ti
01-16-2008, 04:14 PM
The NCC Board has set the price of the March school only at this time, at
$195 per day.

Future school pricing will be determined after more time to refine
the budget and allocate Chapter funds among the various programs.

islavov
01-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi ALL,

This will be my first DE event, so I wanted to get little more info from people who have done it before. Thanks for any responses in advance..

What to expect? How to prepare? What to bring and e.t

Is this a one day event? And, the same event is repeated on Suday or is it two days for $195

Thanks for any comments,
Ivan

P.S:

And, hopefuly see you guys in March

islavov
01-17-2008, 10:31 PM
OK,

I answered some of my questions and pre-registered for Sunday's event
See you guys in March.

What would you recommend:
- come with street tires/sizes staggered setup
- come with my 265 all around square 18" autox setup (still with street tires)

Thanks,
Ivan

1996 328ti
01-18-2008, 06:17 AM
OK,

I answered some of my questions and pre-registered for Sunday's event
See you guys in March.

What would you recommend:
- come with street tires/sizes staggered setup
- come with my 265 all around square 18" autox setup (still with street tires)

Thanks,
IvanCome as you are.
I'd use whatever tires you use on the street.
If you want to save your street tires since you have dedicated autox tires, use them.

The important thing is brake fluid. Be sure it's fresh.

islavov
01-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Come as you are.
I'd use whatever tires you use on the street.
If you want to save your street tires since you have dedicated autox tires, use them.

The important thing is brake fluid. Be sure it's fresh.

Thanks for the tips. I will do so....

I assume, there is gonna be quite some time on the track since you are recommending break fluid....

Can you please describe how the DE event day goes:
- Is it pretty much all day driving on the track?
- Is it some skid pad, some talking, a little driving on the track...

I want to just get an idea of what to expect..

Thanks a lot for your time!

Regards,
Ivan

jhm5
01-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Ivan, this site has tons of information on the NCC driving schools.
Go here - http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?driving_schools
In particular read "Introduction to" sections near the bottom of this page.

You'll spend lots of time behind the wheel, with an instructor in the car, also there are classes.

1996 328ti
01-18-2008, 09:30 AM
I recommend changing BRAKE fluid because I have no idea how old yours is. I can't explain the technical reasons for fresh fluid. Someone else can explain it.

Read the documents in the link above.
Don't get wrapped up in it all.
For me I was overwhelmed in the beginning.
Some may say I'm still overwhelmed 10 years later. :biggrin:
Thanks for the tips. I will do so....

I assume, there is gonna be quite some time on the track since you are recommending break fluid....

Can you please describe how the DE event day goes:
- Is it pretty much all day driving on the track?
- Is it some skid pad, some talking, a little driving on the track...

I want to just get an idea of what to expect..

Thanks a lot for your time!

Regards,
Ivan

OwnedbyDuncan
01-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Usually 2 driving sessions on the track in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. Session length 20-30 minutes depending on how things are going.

2 skidpad sessions one in the morning and one in the afternoon I believe.

Depending on your group a classroom session or two.

I think you misunderstood you should have the brake fluid changed before each school.

And try on the cool down lap at the end of each session not use the brakes.

When you pull into the paddock spend 5-10 minutes cruising the paddock slowly to give your brakes a chance to cool down. Reduces the chance that the rotors will warp etc.

Always bring lots of drinks to school for yourself. preferrably no caffiene.
Be aware of the weather forecast. Accuweather allows to you get a forecast by city and location and if you check in the morning will give you
a reasonbly accurate hour to hour forecast. The weather at Summit Point can change quickly especially in the eraly spring. Be prepared and aware.

Relax and enjoy your first school and remember you have to drive your car home. Be considerate and smart during the school does earn you stars in chief instructors little black book.

Dave Apker and the collies

1996 328ti
01-18-2008, 06:40 PM
And NEVER, EVER set your parking brake after coming off the track.

lax01
01-18-2008, 07:27 PM
sweet I get paid Monday...lol guess I'm in

islavov
01-19-2008, 12:29 AM
:biggrin:Cool stuff.

I am getting excited just reading about it...

I am hoping I will get my camber plates before the event.
I am running 4 rear 18 rims. I have done this numerous times on autox and it has been OK without camber plates - front tires stick out a little, but have never rubbed...

Should I look for monoball camber plates or get street ones?
Are monoball plates going to be too harsh for daily driving?...

Thanks,
Ivan

Bruce N
01-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Mailing my check today!

kvaughn333
01-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Check in the mail also! Got a surprise at the post office...they will no longer "postmark" something without making it metered mail and charging $1.05.

I am actually reaaallllyyyy looking forward to this school. Anxious to see how my new 2008 535xi Sport Wagon (with 6-speed manual) actually does once it gets a chance to stretch its legs.

Only 7 weeks to go!

fpol
01-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Check outbound.

Fingers crossed.

islavov
01-23-2008, 09:38 PM
My papers along with a check were mailed on 22d as well...
I hope we all make it on the roaster...

See you guys there...

JohnK
01-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Everything mailed in but one question, will I get a confirmation that everything was received and I'm officially registered for the event?

Thanks,

John

Bruce N
01-27-2008, 06:30 PM
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=135,0,0,1,0,0

How do I know I have been accepted?
If you registered during the first two days there is a very good chance you will be accepted. You should be notified three weeks before the school.

profbooty
01-30-2008, 09:38 AM
I think I screwed myself as I put it in at the post office on the saturday the 20th right as the post office closed, thinking it had to be received on the 22nd, not postmarked the 22nd, since I was postmarked the first day last year and didnt get in :(

Oh well I guess I will just have to go register ASAP for VIR the following weekend.

1996 328ti
01-30-2008, 09:44 AM
The reason for the postmark is to give people a fair chance who live further away.

profbooty
01-30-2008, 09:53 AM
The reason for the postmark is to give people a fair chance who live further away.

I'm still confused why we have to pre-register online prior to mailing, seems to make the whole process redundant.

I can understand mailing in checks though if there is no means for online payment.

On a side note, what is the average schedule like per school? Assuming there are 4 run groups, with 4 sessions each at 25 min, it would seem like there is a lot of downtime unless we are sharing the track with another group.

1996 328ti
01-30-2008, 10:37 AM
By pre-registering, the information is entered into the database.
We ask people to pre-register in advance to be sure everyone is able to log in rather than waiting until the last minute.

When Doug opens the mail, all he needs to do is find your pre-reg information.

I don't recall the schedule but there is not that much down time.
Between run sessions, skid pad and class, you are busier at an NCC school than any other school I go to.

Car54
02-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Is there still spots available? Waitlist?

dbonner
02-04-2008, 03:08 PM
By pre-registering, the information is entered into the database.
We ask people to pre-register in advance to be sure everyone is able to log in rather than waiting until the last minute.

When Doug opens the mail, all he needs to do is find your pre-reg information.

I don't recall the schedule but there is not that much down time.
Between run sessions, skid pad and class, you are busier at an NCC school than any other school I go to.

Hey, Steven, anyone tell you you need to de-bug your email? An insect is crawling around in there, frantically moving in circles. :eek: Put him out of his misery, will you? :wink:

1996 328ti
02-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Hey, Steven, anyone tell you you need to de-bug your email? An insect is crawling around in there, frantically moving in circles. :eek: Put him out of his misery, will you? :wink:
My area of South Carolina is known for fire ants. :biggrin:

jls8177
02-13-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm sure it is full, but I have to ask....Are there any slots still open and is there any way to still register? I just heard about this and saw it on the NCC website.

I figured an email would go out about something like this.

Any help is appreciated.

Jason (looking for seat time) Stephens

Real M3
02-14-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm sure it is full, but I have to ask....Are there any slots still open and is there any way to still register? I just heard about this and saw it on the NCC website.

I figured an email would go out about something like this.

Any help is appreciated.

Jason (looking for seat time) Stephens

Jason,

The pre-registration opened on 7 Jan 08, and the actual registration period was from Jan 22 through Jan 26. From past experience, if you don't have your actual registration package in the mail the first couple of days during the registration period, you will end up on the wait list. This list is then used to fill slots that open up later for what ever reason a confirmed participant had to cancel out. Short answer to your question, highly unlikely that any slots would be available, plus you missed the registration period. I would suggest that you go to the main NCC web site and click on the Chapter programs to see the Driver schools information. For future schools and the registration period use this link:

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=135,0,0,1,0,0

It will give you the dates of the upcoming schools, pre-registration periods and the actual registration period that you need to send in your completed application and payment. Hint get your application in the first day eligible and your chances are much better at getting a slot.

cbh03
02-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Have the confirmation emails/letters been sent out yet? If not, any idea when?

Bruce N
02-23-2008, 08:41 AM
According to the website, you should be notified about three weeks before the school.

kioneo
02-24-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm driving down from Central PA on Friday night. I have a 2-bed room at the Econo Lodge for about $55/night on Friday and Saturday.

Since it is only me, if any one else is looking for lodging, I'd be willing to split the cost of either Friday and/or Saturday as needed. Helps keep the costs down for both of us.

Email jstrine@<hidden> if you are interested.

fitzhugh
02-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Doug sent the acceptance notifications this afternoon. Hope all of you got in.

:icon_joy:

profbooty
02-25-2008, 10:22 AM
is it an email or PM on the board?

Real M3
02-25-2008, 11:00 AM
is it an email or PM on the board?

It is a personal email to the account you listed on your registration form.

scpera
02-25-2008, 12:50 PM
You should have received a message from Doug mid-afternoon on Sunday.

profbooty
02-25-2008, 02:04 PM
You should have received a message from Doug mid-afternoon on Sunday.

oh well, have to apply for the next shenandoah event.

anyone else notice the lack of events at summit point this spring through other organizations?

fitzhugh
03-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Anybody know if there's a cookout (or other social activity) planned for Saturday? I know we generally do, but could be a bit cold once the sun gets low. Just want to make plans.

Car54
03-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Well??? How was it???!

towhook mike
03-17-2008, 02:50 PM
I am still trying to wipe the smile from my face

Alan
03-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Well??? How was it???!

It was great. The Club put on its usual well planned, well organized event. Many, many thanks to everyone who obviously worked so hard to make the event a success!

I have posted ~40 photos from the weekend in my NCC Photo Album.

Link: http://gallery.nccbmwcca.org/showgallery.php?cat=612

islavov
03-17-2008, 08:02 PM
*** It was a great event ***

Thanks to NCC BMW CCA - it was very well organized event, everything was on schedule, instructors were very helpful and took tame to listen to you and explained eveything you asked for (at least my instructor was like this, I am sure rest are the same as well)

It as my first track/DE event- great experience, definitely looking forward to next event.

I was very much worried driving to the track early Sunday morning from Baltimore with all that rain.

It is good weather cleared up, and as day unfolded and the track dried pretty fast. On my first track session, the track was very little wet, this is when we were working on the line and taking it easier...

I had a blast! thanks ALL!

I cannot tell though if I met anyone from this forum. I was too excited and never mentioned it to anyone!

See you guys next time!

Ivan

islavov
03-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Too bad, I did not get any pics at all. I checked the above link and looks like these are from Saturday...

The guys selling the pro pics, did not make any pics on day two since they said they got too many orders from first day and could handle the load (something like this...)

Anyway, better luck next time, right?...

OK, to let you know,

I can host pics for free at this website:
They will/can look like this:
http://www.myonlinegalleries.com/LoadGallery.aspx?g=7210026020282440
http://www.myonlinegalleries.com/LoadGallery.aspx?g=6008029647176311

http://www.myonlinegalleries.com/LoadGallery.aspx?g=6001016285965914
http://www.myonlinegalleries.com/LoadGallery.aspx?g=1400006411383088

If anyone is interested, you can either forward me the pics here (ISlavov@<hidden>), or create an account and upload yourself http://www.myonlinegalleries.com,its free (I can provide instructions,if needed)

Stay safe every1, and see you next event!!!

roxstuff
03-17-2008, 09:28 PM
*** It was a great event ***

Thanks to NCC BMW CCA - it was very well organized event, everything was on schedule, instructors were very helpful and took tame to listen to you and explained eveything you asked for (at least my instructor was like this, I am sure rest are the same as well)

It as my first track/DE event- great experience, definitely looking forward to next event.

I was very much worried driving to the track early Sunday morning from Baltimore with all that rain.

It is good weather cleared up, and as day unfolded and the track dried pretty fast. On my first track session, the track was very little wet, this is when we were working on the line and taking it easier...

I had a blast! thanks ALL!

I cannot tell though if I met anyone from this forum. I was too excited and never mentioned it to anyone!

See you guys next time!

Ivan

You met at least one from this forum. The Red e30 that trained home with you from Charles Town to 695 and 83. We were in D group together. I passed you one run, then you passed me the next run.

Very impressive ride that M3.

See you next event.

John
follow the E30 build . . .
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2681791

roxstuff
03-17-2008, 09:53 PM
This was the first track event for both this car and driver. I was extremely impressed with how well this event was run. And the fact that you guys could control the weather like you did to make the rain to fall only at night, well very cool.

What a great event, plenty of seat time, plenty of terrific driving tips, friendly folks all around, helpful and willing instructors, and another chance to experience BMW car lust.

Thanks to all who made this a well organized, well scheduled and a great successful event. You have a new member of the NCC BMW fan club.

John

OwnedbyDuncan
03-18-2008, 06:32 AM
Remember the local WVA, VA and MD cops all have the track schedule for Summit Point. As do the MD and VA State troopers.

If I am up in Berryville with collies I know if there is big revenue producing event for LE by the number of state troopers on the road.

LE takes a certain pleasure in giving you guys tickets.

VA State troopers BTW love to hang out in two cut throughs on RT 7 E at the bottom of Mt Weather in the afternoons.

I just set the cruise control at 63mph and dont worry about it.

Thanks for your contributions to the Va state treasury.

Have to check who is running at Summit Point Memorial Day weekend.

Dave Apker and the collies

dbonner
03-18-2008, 07:15 AM
It was great. The Club put on its usual well planned, well organized event. Many, many thanks to everyone who obviously worked so hard to make the event a success!

Thanks, Alan for the photo of my car (and its owner) during a lull in the paddock on Saturday morning! :) Have to agree with you that the weather gods were smiling on us by having the rain fall mostly on Saturday night and early Sunday a.m. Take advantage of those 12 car run groups (with 4 run groups) when you can on Summit Main. They don't happen often!

BonBahn

Car54
03-18-2008, 07:54 AM
How many sessions? How long were they?

woodym3
03-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Four 20-minute sessions plus skidpad training and a 40 minute classroom session each day.
Less than a handful of spins. No bent sheet metal.

kvaughn333
03-18-2008, 01:39 PM
A very enjoyable school. Was really nice to catch up with folks from last season and meet alot of new ones.

We definitely got lucky with the weather Sunday morning. Only had to use the steering wheel heater once:biggrin:

Keith
Sportin' the 2008 6-speed 535xi Touring this time out

VA 330Ci
03-18-2008, 02:03 PM

Thanks for taking the pics. I am the first pic in your gallery!!!!:cool:

Alan
03-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks for taking the pics. I am the first pic in your gallery!!!!:cool:

I have more pis that I haven't posted (I try to post pics that have people in them - rather than just cars). If anyone wants a photo with your car in it and don't see one in my gallery - PM me with your car info and I'll see if I have one.

Bruce N
03-18-2008, 08:09 PM
I know I had a great time. Can't wait for the next one!

islavov
03-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Hm, isn't this interesting!...

See you next time!

Take care,
Ivan

You met at least one from this forum. The Red e30 that trained home with you from Charles Town to 695 and 83. We were in D group together. I passed you one run, then you passed me the next run.

Very impressive ride that M3.

See you next event.

John
follow the E30 build . . .
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2681791

gnhovis
03-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks to all for another wonderful weekend school. It's amazing what a little fresh pavement can do for a country road... I think I actually enjoyed the damp track on Sunday the most. Here's some video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNj6EW4bdAI) from the final run on Sunday. Cheers.

Pulak
04-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Although this is a bit late, I just wanted to say that I had a blast at the SPR Main Driver's School. I was driving my Apline White E30 325is on all season street tires. After a little trouble passing tech (thanks to those who helped me do it), I was off to the classroom and track sessions.

Having my own car on a full-size track was great and now I'm addicted. Thanks to all the instructors and staff for a well run event. A note to my track instructor, Woody....I have been practicing my heel-toe downshifting during everyday street driving like you suggested and happy to say it's turning into a habit. :)

I did manage to flat spot the all season tires, so there was significant vibration on the ride home. :frown: New wheels and tires have been ordered for this season of motoring.

Also, I promised the D group some of the pictures I took on the weekend and they are coming. For some reason, I can't access this site from my home computer....very frustrating! :mad:

Car54
04-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Don't ya just love learning....learning how much you don't know! That's the biggest thing I learn at DE's.

Were there any sparks?

roxstuff
04-07-2008, 08:06 PM
geez pulak it is about time you surfaced?!?!?!?! I was wondering what happened to you. Send emails to D group and let us get the ball rolling. Also - are you signed up for the next event yet?

Let me know

woodym3
04-08-2008, 09:41 AM
....I have been practicing my heel-toe downshifting during everyday street driving like you suggested and happy to say it's turning into a habit. :)

I did manage to flat spot the all season tires,

But when are you going to get the ABS working like I also suggested?

roxstuff
04-08-2008, 08:55 PM
OOPS you got busted pulak. tell us it is fixed OK????

Pulak
04-10-2008, 02:48 PM
not fixed yet.....my excuse is...Race cars shouldn't have ABS, the driver should learn to use the brakes correctly to avoid flat-spotted tires :tongue:

on the other hand, if the car is driven to track or autoX events, it is a road car for that period and ABS might prove useful against black ice, stupid motorists and/or pedestrians, etc.

also, I only see me car on weekends (garaged away from me in MD) :frown:, so I promise I'll grab a soldering kit and find the ABS relay this weekend, along with mounting my new wheels and tires :biggrin:

John, I'll find that list of emails today and send something out, I need to change my procrastinating ways...