PDA

View Full Version : E30 timing belt/water pump question

ErikT
11-27-2007, 11:46 AM
I had my timing belt/water pump changed at a shop in Annapolis last week.

(1990 325i)

Yesterday I noticed a coolent leak from the throttle-body plate/gasket. It looks like there was a pinhole sized crack in the gasket.

My question is: Is that part typically removed or could it have been damaged while they were replacing the water pump? I know gaskets eventually will start to leak, but I thought it seemed like an odd coincidence.

That fact that the shop wants to bill me 2.5 hours for labor is making me question everything. I don't really have many options since the car is in annapolis leaking coolant. Regardless, I don't have a place to work on it anyhow.

I just want to make sure I know what I'm talking about when I ask them about the repair. By the looks, you wouldn't even need to drain the coolant to replace the throttle body plate, correct?

Thanks,

Erik

mlytle
11-28-2007, 08:25 PM
that area is not usually involved in a timing belt water pump change. coincidence, or someone tugged on the hose..

ErikT
11-29-2007, 12:52 AM
That's what I had figured. The tech told me it was difficult to remove the throttle-body plate because the bolts usually break off. They needed to remove the throttle body and drill out the bolts.

I confirmed on E30tech.com that this was a typical issue. I was a little shocked to see so much labor for something that appeared so minor.

hoyabmw
12-04-2007, 02:54 AM
take the 2 hoses that go in to the throttle body heater (where the gasket is) and put a dual barbed fitting in them--clamp them directly together, just bypassing it. I ran my 325 like that for 7 years on the advice of Brett Anderson when it broke at an autox, as a daily driver for most of them, until the rocker arm broke last year. It's only an emissions thing for when the car is cold. Cheap $2 fix from home depot. Then you can get the car home and worry about it later.

Kevin

mlytle
12-04-2007, 12:03 PM
take the 2 hoses that go in to the throttle body heater (where the gasket is) and put a dual barbed fitting in them--clamp them directly together, just bypassing it. I ran my 325 like that for 7 years on the advice of Brett Anderson when it broke at an autox, as a daily driver for most of them, until the rocker arm broke last year. It's only an emissions thing for when the car is cold. Cheap $2 fix from home depot. Then you can get the car home and worry about it later.

Kevin

good point kevin, i had forgotten all about that bypass. both my track e30's were plumbed that way.

marshall