PDA

View Full Version : E46 Exhaust Rec's

Dirichlet
11-19-2007, 03:26 PM
My exhuast just crapped out... I sound like a circa-1930's International tractor. Unfortunately, I need to drive about 1000 miles round-trip for the holiday - chicken wire, here I come.
Thus, I am in the search for new exhaust. I'm looking for something with a little more growl than stock, but nothing too ricey (I don't want to sound like a kazoo, nor do I need a 5" wide exhaust). Price is not a limiting factor, but is a consideration. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Zchild
11-19-2007, 06:14 PM
:icon_blah My exhaust crapped out due to rust so I upgraded to the SuperSprint. It sounds slightly louder than OEM at idle but when I put my foot on it my bimmer really sounds sweet. Its smooth, with no drone or rasp. I really didn't want my entire neighborhood to hear my bimmer coming. Just my two and a half cents worth. Happy Motoring...
:icon_poke

jhm5
11-19-2007, 09:47 PM
BMW has a new line of "performance" parts, including an exhaust rear section performance muffler. Supposedly sounds sportier, is a few pounds lighter than stock and adds 5HP (at higher RPMs). Check dealers for discount... and let us know how it sounds.

OwnedbyDuncan
11-20-2007, 08:13 AM
You might want to consider the OEM muffler again it lasted 6/7 years before it died. May not sound as nice as the Supersprint and it maybe cheaper. And you should always listen to and drive a performance exhaust before purchase if you can especially at our normal cruising speed on the Interstate.

And remember a nice quite exhuast lets you sneak home and into the house.

Dave Apker and the collies

bmwcs3
11-20-2007, 08:50 AM
BMW has a new line of "performance" parts, including an exhaust rear section performance muffler. Supposedly sounds sportier, is a few pounds lighter than stock and adds 5HP (at higher RPMs). Check dealers for discount... and let us know how it sounds.

Grant Randall at Alexandria Bavarian Service installed this muffler on his 04 325 Touring and is really pleased with it. It is made of stainless, so should last a long time. I prefer the sound of the Performance Package muffler on my 05 330, but have to admit that his also sounds very nice.

Bill Riblett

TMB_540i
11-21-2007, 08:27 AM

Colin,

If you go with the BMW Performance Muffler, Tischer BMW in Silver Spring gives a 20 percent discount to BMWCCA members. So that might be a consideration.

Tom

Barry
11-21-2007, 11:32 AM
My exhuast just crapped out... I sound like a circa-1930's International tractor. Unfortunately, I need to drive about 1000 miles round-trip for the holiday - chicken wire, here I come.
Thus, I am in the search for new exhaust. I'm looking for something with a little more growl than stock, but nothing too ricey (I don't want to sound like a kazoo, nor do I need a 5" wide exhaust). Price is not a limiting factor, but is a consideration. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

I had a 330Ci on which I installed a BB.
It was wonderful, but a bit too loud.
On the e46 M3 I have a Borla and it's perfect.
It gives you the extra growl without being intrusive.
Barry

Dirichlet
11-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Thx for the input guys. Now that I'm back from the Holiday I have to get it fixed. I'll let you know what I end up doing.
~C