PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Columbia Social Location Poll

pseto
11-09-2007, 10:53 AM
With all the success we've had this year hosting the Columbia socials, I wanna make next year even better. While the Green Turtle was a great place, a change in venue every few months would be better (people like variety so I've been told).

For now I'll ask that you pick a place for us to go for 1Q and 2Q 2008 and the top 2 winners will be put on the calendar. :)

Champps (Columbia Mall) - American Sports bar
Famous Dave's (Dobbin/Snowden) - Barbeque
Clyde's (Lake Kittamaqundi) - American variety
That's Amore (Columbia Mall) - Italian family-style
Houlihan's (Rt 175/Rt 108) - American eclectic
Hong Kong (Lake Kittamaqundi) - Chinese

Pick your favorite 2 places from the list above and if you have another place in mind, let me know and we can use them for the second half of the year.

Also, keep in mind that I usually pick places based on the following criteria:
1) Good food with a variety of choices
2) Isolated, well-lit parking areas
3) Ability to have a closely arranged eating area
4) Overall atmosphere
5) Past service experience

pseto
11-09-2007, 11:08 AM
BTW - I will informally close this poll at the end of this month November and not 1/8/08 as posted above the poll (I screwed up and put in too much time).

I'll post the new locations at the beginning of December.

japac1
11-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Houlihans may be a great choice for December...but for 2008 I like Chammps and/or Houlihans.

Ahmed303
11-09-2007, 02:16 PM
I want to go out of the way and say Green Turtle or Olive Garden in Laurel, MD.

Yes...It is close to my house. :biggrin:

Clarese
11-09-2007, 03:58 PM
I thought Champps was good, and I like Houlihan's.

The only thing about Houlihan's is that they are really busy (being new) and really loud. I'm also not sure that I saw tables that would accomodate a big group there (but I wasn't really looking for any when I was there, either).

Dirichlet
11-09-2007, 05:12 PM
For Q3, etc., please add Rocky Run to the list.
Cheers

pseto
11-09-2007, 05:23 PM
I thought Champps was good, and I like Houlihan's.

The only thing about Houlihan's is that they are really busy (being new) and really loud. I'm also not sure that I saw tables that would accomodate a big group there (but I wasn't really looking for any when I was there, either).

There's a back room that can hold 50 people that I've asked to reserve, but they haven't come up with plans yet to host private parties. They did say they are working on it though and to call back in December. I'm pretty sure we can get it and it would be perfect for you rowdy CMM folks :)

pseto
11-09-2007, 05:27 PM
For Q3, etc., please add Rocky Run to the list.
Cheers

I sure will, that is a great place. However the parking over there sucks.

JC5
11-09-2007, 05:41 PM
How's the parking at Houlihan's ?

pseto
11-09-2007, 05:50 PM
How's the parking at Houlihan's ?

There are pockets of empty areas closer to the retail stores. With the restaurants in that stripmall being so new, they've been packed everyday I go by there.

Maybe by next year after the newness goes away, it'll be a little less crowded. I pass it everyday going to work, so I'll keep an eye out. I'm thinking we may end up parking down near the Home Depot.

FrankoQ
11-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Hey Paul,
Busy day at the office. Sorry I could not call you, but I see you got the poll going. Nice choices. :)

Ahmed303
11-09-2007, 06:52 PM
From a parking perspective, I liked Champps. The food was pretty good too.

FrankoQ
11-09-2007, 07:03 PM

Agree.
Make sure you bring that v12 next time.
I need some pics of that baby. :)

Clarese
11-10-2007, 05:45 AM

I love your son's z4 - it is almost as cool as your m8!

pseto
11-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Wow, the voting is very close. Keep the votes coming everyone.

Ahmed303
11-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Thank you. I can't really call my car an M8. BMW Motorsport designated it as a CSi (But the German Registration called it an M8/E). There was a prototype M8 but the engine (S70-1)was needed and later modified (S70-2, S70-3) for the Mclaran F1. So the M8 idea was scrapped.

Here is the 550 HP M8 prototype (Notice the side gill and no pop up headlamps).
http://www.e31.net/pics/M8.jpg

Here is the 550 HP S70-1 engine
http://www.e31.net/pics/S701.jpg

I really wish they made it though.

pseto
11-14-2007, 11:15 PM
OK guys, I just found out that the deadline for the deBayerische is Nov 21st, so I will close down the voting a day or so beforehand. Please vote ASAP so we can make a decision.

Looks like we may be returning to Champps, although Houlihans is a very close 2nd.

lax01
11-15-2007, 10:05 AM
I was so incredibly unimpressed with Champps...too bad...

pseto
11-15-2007, 10:17 AM
I was so incredibly unimpressed with Champps...too bad...

what didn't you like? please PM me and let me know so I can take it into consideration for future events

dinkoh
11-15-2007, 12:00 PM
FAMOUS DAVES! Love me those ribs.

lax01
11-15-2007, 12:24 PM
what didn't you like? please PM me and let me know so I can take it into consideration for future events

I just didn't think the food or atmosphere was very good...but thats what you get for going to a bar at the mall...

My vote goes towards Famous Daves or back to Green Turtle...

pseto
11-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Poll is closing in the next few days...lets keep the votes coming!!!

FrankoQ
11-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Poll is closing in the next few days...lets keep the votes coming!!!

A triple tie!

pseto
11-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Voting ends tonight. Looks like I may have to break the tie and I may sway towards Champps 1Q and Houlihans 2Q :)

1996 328ti
11-20-2007, 03:32 PM
I like That's Amore.

Biggins
11-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Are any of these places also bars? Maybe it's just me, but I sometimes like to stay later than when everyone leaves/takes pics.

When we get the big tables, I feel like it's tough to talk to everyone since once I'm seated and don't really want to mingle if I'm pinned in at a table and it can be awkward talking across 4 people. I really don't care, but I guess I just like the set-up at Zodiac best. That said, it'll be tough for me to make the next few socials.

pseto
11-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Are any of these places also bars? Maybe it's just me, but I sometimes like to stay later than when everyone leaves/takes pics.

When we get the big tables, I feel like it's tough to talk to everyone since once I'm seated and don't really want to mingle if I'm pinned in at a table and it can be awkward talking across 4 people. I really don't care, but I guess I just like the set-up at Zodiac best. That said, it'll be tough for me to make the next few socials.

Hi Chris, both Houlihans and Champps also have bars where you can hang out. Everytime I've gone to Houlihans, the bar has been pretty live.

I agree somewhat about getting pinned in at a long table. Anyone have a suggestion how to combat this?

pseto
11-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Looks like Houlihans is our winner for 1Q. We can vote again for 2Q since there's a tie for 2nd place.

There's a back room with a big long table at Houlihans that I will try to reserve which will give us a little privacy.

lax01
11-23-2007, 10:46 AM

*ding*...nailed it...exactly the reason I didn't like Champps

JC5
11-23-2007, 11:14 AM
When we get the big tables, I feel like it's tough to talk to everyone since once I'm seated and don't really want to mingle if I'm pinned in at a table and it can be awkward talking across 4 people.

This why I like going out to the cars. It's a great time to walk around and talk to everyone.