PDA

View Full Version : Street Survival at Dulles, Va. Nov.17-Instructors?

slantsixm3
11-07-2007, 05:08 PM
BMW CCA's sponsored Street Survival is holding an event at Dulles, Va. on November 17.

If you are a NCC Instructor or IA candidate, and are interested in instructing, please send an e-mail to nccstreetsurvival@<hidden> .

We can always use a few more hands, and it's a great time.

If you have, or know, a young driver that may benifit from something more that the dismal training now provided in public schools, check out the Street Survival website www.streetsurvival.org (http://www.streetsurvival.org)

- Joel Bossard
NCCStreetSurvival chair
nccstreetsurvival@<hidden>

mlytle
11-08-2007, 08:36 PM
looking forward to it!!

John in VA
11-10-2007, 12:24 PM
I just heard Rafael talking on Pat Goss's radio show about it!
My older son was 15.75 yesterday, so I hope there's a Dulles school next year after he is fully licensed.
Can he participate in the '85 E30 without ABS and airbags?

mlytle
11-10-2007, 06:54 PM
My older son was 15.75 yesterday, so I hope there's a Dulles school next year after he is fully licensed.

yes he can!!!

slantsixm3
11-11-2007, 04:22 AM
Roy Morris had informed me that Rafael was doing a press interview about the program, but at the time little more info was available. Nobody better that Raf to do this.

Nice to hear it was Pat Goss' show, which is widely listened to...
All I was told was that it was a channel 8 tv show on at 9am on Saturday. I don't even get a channel 8 local channel on Directv.

Don't suppose anybody has a video, or even audio???

We try to do 2 event per year in Dulles Virginia, and another 2 in Sykesville, Maryland. Anyone interested should have plenty of opportunities to get their young people signed up. Keep an eye on www.streetsurvival.org.
2008 scheduled events will be going up in the next 30 days or so, depending on getting confirmed dates with the generous folks that let us use their facilities.

You can participate in any car that is genuinely roadworthy (i.e. in good condition).
Any other questions, drop me a note at nccstreetsurvival@<hidden>

Thanks again to Rafael.

Joel Bossard
NCC Street Survival chairman
NCCSTREETSURVIVAL@<hidden>

Rafgar
11-11-2007, 03:26 PM

John,

As Joel mentioned, we hope to conduct 2 schools in VA and 2 in MD next year. We require that students have a good familiarity with driving before attending one of these schools. They do NOT have to have their full license - we take students on permits - so long as they have significant driving experience. As far as I'm concerned, the sooner we can get them started learning how to drive "properly", the better.

The publicity opportunity was "interesting". I was the guest on Pat Goss' Garage TV show on NewsChannel 8 yesterday morning and then we did a short segment on his radio show in the afternoon. I had no idea what I had been volunteered to do. When I arrived at the studio on Saturday at 9 am, I was told that we were doing a live 1/2 hour TV show! Yikes. No prep time and I had never been on TV before. I have the show on my DVR, but I have no idea how to copy it to another media.

I hope to see you at one of our events real soon.

John in VA
11-12-2007, 12:54 PM
To see my son wander aimlessly through the house in the AMs getting ready to go to school makes me wonder if he'll EVER be proficient behind the wheel!
Better that he's making someone ELSE nervous vs. me, re: driving instructions. He hasn't begun the classroom part and we have a friend in Purcellville with a driver's school that we'll sign on with at the appropriate time. Then on to SS and the NCC highway safety schools.

Rafgar
11-13-2007, 12:42 PM
To see my son wander aimlessly through the house in the AMs getting ready to go to school makes me wonder if he'll EVER be proficient behind the wheel!
Better that he's making someone ELSE nervous vs. me, re: driving instructions. He hasn't begun the classroom part and we have a friend in Purcellville with a driver's school that we'll sign on with at the appropriate time. Then on to SS and the NCC highway safety schools.

John,

My daughter progressed tremendously at her first Street Survival School - in large part because I was not her instructor. One of the benefits of this school is that we remove the "intimidating parent" from the equation since parents are not allowed in the cars during the in-car exercises.

Your planned progression for driver training is perfect, but you left out autocross and then the "regular" NCC driving schools.

1996 328ti
11-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Your planned progression for driver training is perfect, but you left out autocross and then the "regular" NCC driving schools.And karting?

mlytle
11-13-2007, 02:46 PM
And karting?

and bmwcca club racing schools...
and a rookie racing license...
and....

:wallet:

:biggrin:

Rafgar
11-14-2007, 11:20 AM
and bmwcca club racing schools...
and a rookie racing license...
and....

:wallet:

:biggrin:

Nah, racing is dangerous while the driving schools are educational and all about becoming a safer driver.

That, and as you so nicely point out, racing is mighty expensive.

Biggins
11-14-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm coming down from Baltimore, but I'll be there as early as I can.