PDA

View Full Version : 2003 525 it tire wear thoughts

JRansom
09-21-2007, 01:02 PM
My dealer is telling me that at 3mm of tread the rough ride I get is to be expected with the Michelin Pilot HX 225/55 tires. If I really should replace them then are there better tire options? What experience have you had with this car and tire wear? Is it reasonable to only put 25 K miles on a set of tires here in the DC metro area? I put 10k miles on since I bought the CPO (45k -55K miles).

Thanks,

Jonathan

pseto
09-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Assuming its an all-season tire, you should be able to get a little more than 25k.

Zchild
09-21-2007, 06:32 PM
:icon_blah Hey J, I would first have to ask you how often you check your air pressure followed by when's the last time you got an alignment. I'm averaging 40K per set of four tires, but I'm checking air pressure every week and getting four wheel alignments every 15K. I'm also running an excellent set of tires. I'm in love with the Toyo Proxes 4 that I get at Radial Tire Company in Silver Spring. The last thing I would suggest checking is your Control Arm bushings. Just my two and a half cents worth. Happy Motoring...
:icon_poke

Biggins
09-22-2007, 09:02 AM
I actually agree with the dealer about the noise when the tread starts to go... I had Michelin Pilot HX MXM3??? on my car for a year and a half and once the tread got low, those tires were LOUD although they never really wore out.

I'm a little obsessed with my tires, but since I'm retiring my car from autoxing, I am going to switch to a high performance summer/all-season tire instead of the aggressive max performance "street" autox tires I've been running. IMO, I think 20k miles is about the norm for replacing street tires.

Do you drive the wagon in the snow? Do you have another set of wheels/snow tires for the winter?

If no snow tires and car is driven year round on same tires, I'd recommend:
Toyo Proxes 4
Yokohama AVID V4S
General Altimax HP

If snow tires and car is driven on these tires in just Fall, Sping, Summer, I'd recommend:
Kumho Ecsta SPT
Kumho Ecsta ASX
Yokohama AVS ES100
Yokohama S.drive

Read some reviews on http://www.tirerack.com/ and http://www.1010tires.com/ if you need more input.