PDA

View Full Version : Tansmission Problem 2000 323i! Serious!!!

robojoo3231
07-08-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm frustrated because I had to push my 323i 2000 on the road. It won't work in reverse mode. A couple of threads say it is transmission breakdown and it costs more than 4k to replace it. It is sort of common issue for 323i. Sometimes, it comes back, though.

I cannot afford it now. My 323i is 80K and cost me a lot to replace a plastic coolant tank at 70k. Big breakdowns twice a year! What an unreliable bimmer!

Can I drive in only D mode for a while or should I replace it ASAP?

http://images.bimmerforums.com/vb3images/misc/progress.gif

Dirichlet
07-09-2007, 10:46 AM
You should replace it ASAP... Unfortunately, almost all of those cars (I have the exact same one) experience transmission failure between 80-90k miles. Mine went at 85k. When my transmission failed, like yours, it started with reverse. Within a couple of days 1st dissapeared on me, with 2nd going quickly.
Sorry to say, but you don't have much of a choice with waiting - it'll crap out entirely soon.

robojoo3231
07-09-2007, 11:17 AM
You should replace it ASAP... Unfortunately, almost all of those cars (I have the exact same one) experience transmission failure between 80-90k miles. Mine went at 85k. When my transmission failed, like yours, it started with reverse. Within a couple of days 1st dissapeared on me, with 2nd going quickly.
Sorry to say, but you don't have much of a choice with waiting - it'll crap out entirely soon.

Thanks, Diriclet.

At now, My real concern is Could I run my car in only D mode for a while. Is it safe? Cuase I cannot afford it now.

Did you replace it with a brand new trans? How much is it?

Dirichlet
07-10-2007, 09:06 AM
I would say that it's not really safe to keep running it b/c it can and will crap out on you soon, possibly leaving you stranded... I got a new transmission installed, and yeah, it was like $4500. But, that was at a dealership - I've learned better since... :/

robojoo3231
07-10-2007, 09:35 AM
I would say that it's not really safe to keep running it b/c it can and will crap out on you soon, possibly leaving you stranded... I got a new transmission installed, and yeah, it was like $4500. But, that was at a dealership - I've learned better since... :/

I've just reviewed all your threads, which are very helpful. I'm also likely to decide a new one. Only issue is my wallet.

BTW, which dealer did your job, I mean which one is the best? 4700 is the total price? Permanent replacement sounds attractive, but I have to go to the same dealer forever.

Thanks, again