PDA

View Full Version : Virginia BMWCCA License Plate?

chicane
04-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Is anyone lobbying for a BMWCCA license plate for Virginia? I know Maryland has one and I didn't know if our club or someone else has been actively pursuing this. Anyone?

hoyabmw
04-18-2007, 09:18 AM
It has been tried in the past, and never made it all the way through. There is a process to do it, but you need to get 350 people committed and paid ahead of time. See http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/platesponsor_special.pdf for the process.

Kevin

1996 328ti
04-18-2007, 12:19 PM
This is somewhat different when we tried this several years ago.
Back then all we needed were signatures, not even commitments.
But then it had to be presented to the VA House.

Now it looks simpler. We just need people to commit.
Perhaps Tidewater, Blue Ridge and Tarheel chapters would also be interested. I'll be seeing members of those chapters this weekend and will ask.

But it will still come down to someone administrating it. :rolleyes:

ChosenGSR
04-18-2007, 02:09 PM
This just reminded me to get my Maryland tag :redface:

Roy
04-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Colleagues:
This is a worthy project, absolutely within the capabilities of anyone who is reading this message. I also would like to have CCA logoed plates. We have 5,500 members, most of whom live in Virginia. The only thing this initiative lacks is a volunteer with the drive to administer this. Would the gentleman who originated this thread be willing to volunteer? I will sign up for 3 sets of Virginia plates.
-Roy Morris
President

1996 328ti
04-18-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't want to discourage people from coming up with ideas.
Anyone can do this.

I think we just past 500 plates in Maryland this year and it's been going on for several years.

I realize few people in the Commonwealth know what exists north of the Potomac.

2517 live in VA
2632 live in MD
0349 live in DC

Roy
04-18-2007, 08:47 PM
I stand corrected as to where the majority of our members live. Thanks for those statistics. Very interesting. But you would think that we could get 350 plate purchasers out of 2500 if Maryland can get 500 out of 2600. If we get the current Concours chair to outfit all his cars with Va. logo plates, we'll be well on our way to 350 cars.
--Roy

1996 328ti
04-18-2007, 09:01 PM
If we get the current Concours chair to outfit all his cars with Va. logo plates, we'll be well on our way to 350 cars.And with our past concours chair plus your 3, we'd come real close.
But it has taken several years in Maryland to get those 500.

I wonder if South Carolina has organizational tags. :(

ChosenGSR
04-18-2007, 09:10 PM
I wonder if South Carolina has organizational tags. :(

This is a good reason why you SHOULDN'T leave MD :)

vagabond
04-19-2007, 07:38 AM
After helping my wife incorporate her business, I'm no longer being crushed by federal and state paperwork. I sort of miss it. I'd be glad to help out.

chicane
04-19-2007, 07:52 AM
This is somewhat different when we tried this several years ago.
Back then all we needed were signatures, not even commitments.
But then it had to be presented to the VA House.

Now it looks simpler. We just need people to commit.
Perhaps Tidewater, Blue Ridge and Tarheel chapters would also be interested. I'll be seeing members of those chapters this weekend and will ask.

But it will still come down to someone administrating it. :rolleyes:

Please do, because I would love to get several. Any help you need from me let me know.

chicane
04-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Colleagues:
This is a worthy project, absolutely within the capabilities of anyone who is reading this message. I also would like to have CCA logoed plates. We have 5,500 members, most of whom live in Virginia. The only thing this initiative lacks is a volunteer with the drive to administer this. Would the gentleman who originated this thread be willing to volunteer? I will sign up for 3 sets of Virginia plates.
-Roy Morris
President

Yup, I will. Also can we get the other VA chapters involved? This would go a long way towards getting something accomplished, I believe.

1996 328ti
04-19-2007, 10:30 AM
On Monday I will get back with everyone to see if other VIRginia chapters are interested.

pranu
04-19-2007, 10:34 AM
I did jump in with my 1 car :)

Although I'd be curious to see how the designing process works. Very honestly I am not that big a fan of the Maryland design. I know its easier to be a critic than actually do the work - but just wondering if there are rules and regulations from
a. the DMV
b. BMW NA
c. BMW CCA
that help define what we could have?

1996 328ti
04-19-2007, 12:28 PM
There are two possible designs that I can think of.
Although it's a bit too early for consideration.

OwnedbyDuncan
04-19-2007, 12:47 PM
What no collies or sheep? Baaaah!

Dave Apker and the collies

1996 328ti
04-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Not unless you get a Bull Dog.
http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/exec/vehicle/splates/infoindev.asp?id=368

I digress. Let's get back on topic.
I think VA tags would be cool, especially if we can coordinate between the other VA chapters.

pranu
04-19-2007, 01:03 PM
And we would not be allowed to choose just a roundel?

1996 328ti
04-19-2007, 01:23 PM
And we would not be allowed to choose just a roundel?
I highly doubt it but I'll ask.
BMW is pretty strict when it comes to their trademark.

pranu
04-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Maybe Something like

0 VIRGINIA 0

Roundel Char 1 Char 2 Char 3 Char 4
Here

0 Ultimate Driving Machine 0

:)

pranu
04-19-2007, 02:00 PM
darn - doesnt keep formatting!

pre tags dont work either...hmm...

:(

chicane
04-19-2007, 02:00 PM
There are two possible designs that I can think of.
Although it's a bit too early for consideration.

I like the first design and absolutely I think we need to get all Virginia related chapters involved.

pranu
04-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Chicane:

I am more than willing to help - lets get this thing to happen.

Also from the two CCA design I also like the first one better.

Pranu

Just FYI - the MD plates for those who can't recall them - http://www.marylandmva.com/VehicleServ/SpecialtyPlates/displayPlateDetails.asp?PLATEID=316

chicane
04-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Chicane:

I am more than willing to help - lets get this thing to happen.

Also from the two CCA design I also like the first one better.

Pranu

Just FYI - the MD plates for those who can't recall them - http://www.marylandmva.com/VehicleServ/SpecialtyPlates/displayPlateDetails.asp?PLATEID=316

I noticed that it just has the CCA logo and not the roundel. Can we get CCA involved as well?

vagabond
04-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Well, judging by the Tobacco Heritage and the Jimmy Buffet plate, we can pretty much do anything we want...

chicane
04-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Well, judging by the Tobacco Heritage and the Jimmy Buffet plate, we can pretty much do anything we want...

LOL, I would have to agree with you on that. I went thru the entire VA plate collection and I can honestly say that with even a little motivation on our part would ensure a BMWCCA plate in short order.

1996 328ti
04-19-2007, 09:36 PM
I noticed that it just has the CCA logo and not the roundel. Can we get CCA involved as well?I'll ask about the Roundel this weekend but I am pretty sure that it will not be allowed. It's a BMW trademark. Chapters are allowed to use the Roundel if it is used in a specific style chapter logo.

1996 328ti
04-22-2007, 05:19 PM
The other VA chapters are interested in giving it another shot.
The BMW roundel is definitely verboten.
I'd probably suggest collecting more than 350 since some people may not be interested when the time comes to go to the next step.
So first is the design.
Then contact all members in VA.

pranu
04-23-2007, 01:12 AM

:icon_sadb :icon_cry:

(gotta love some of these icons!)

chicane
04-23-2007, 06:54 AM
The other VA chapters are interested in giving it another shot.
I'd probably suggest collecting more than 350 since some people may not be interested when the time comes to go to the next step.
So first is the design.
Then contact all members in VA.

350 what?

Do we use this website/message board as the jumping off point concerning ideas and implementation (how do the other chapters want to work it?)?

While we can try different thing I think we are pretty much stuck with the basic CCA logo, correct?

1996 328ti
04-23-2007, 07:08 AM
According to the form,
Most special interest plates require 350 prepaid applications before they can be issued.

You can continue to use this thread for ideas.
I wouldn't use the term stuck, but logos do have to conform to US law.
Read through the form listed on post 2.
There is a link for design guidelines and a contact.
I think any chapter would be happy to accept the efforts of a volunteer.
Once there are some design ideas you can ask for their input.
Another thing to consider, will these be restricted to current BMW CCA members.
If so then each chapter will need a member who checks membership.
If not, once approved anyone can order the plate from DMV.
At least that is how I understand it. I could be wrong.

And it looks like people would need to fill out the attached form.

You can also see plates in development here (http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/exec/vehicle/splates/soon.asp).

Any further off topic posts will be deleted.

chicane
04-23-2007, 08:45 AM
According to the form,
Most special interest plates require 350 prepaid applications before they can be issued.

You can continue to use this thread for ideas.
I wouldn't use the term stuck, but logos do have to conform to US law.
Read through the form listed on post 2.
There is a link for design guidelines and a contact.
I think any chapter would be happy to accept the efforts of a volunteer.
Once there are some design ideas you can ask for their input.

You can also see plates in development here (http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/exec/vehicle/splates/soon.asp).

Ok, this may sound dumb but, how do you apply for a specialty plate that doesn't exist yet? Are you saying that someone on our side collects at least 350 of these VSA forms (plus associated fees), then we fill out the specialty plate forms, vote on a logo, send in the specialty plate application form along with the 350+ apps and fees and we have ourselves a plate?

brad_c-ville_VA
04-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Hey guys. I spoke with Steve briefly yesterday at the Chapter Congress about the plates. I'll keep an eye on this thread, post info on the Blue Ridge Chapter site and send out chapter e-mails as progress is made.

Thanks for looking into it NCCers! And thanks for the post on our forum, chicane.

brad.

chicane
04-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Hey guys. I spoke with Steve briefly yesterday at the Chapter Congress about the plates. I'll keep an eye on this thread, post info on the Blue Ridge Chapter site and send out chapter e-mails as progress is made.

Thanks for looking into it NCCers! And thanks for the post on our forum, chicane.

brad.

Thanks, and please do. I think this is something all of the VA-Based chapters can get behind.

pranu
04-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Do we have the design files from the last time there was an effort? Photoshop files or any other such items, that we could perhaps use to jump start a design?

1996 328ti
04-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Ok, this may sound dumb but, how do you apply for a specialty plate that doesn't exist yet? Are you saying that someone on our side collects at least 350 of these VSA forms (plus associated fees), then we fill out the specialty plate forms, vote on a logo, send in the specialty plate application form along with the 350+ apps and fees and we have ourselves a plate?
*I think* come up with a design then have people fill out the form.
Collect at least 350 checks for $10 or $20 if someone wants a personalized tag. I will assume you can transfer your current personalized tag for an organizational one so REAL M3 will be taken. ;)

Then apply for approval.
Speak or email VA DMV.

pranu
04-23-2007, 12:21 PM
According to the form,

As chicane asked - are we supposed to manage the first 350 applications?

And would the CCA object to them being publicly available? After all it would be
a. publicity for the CCA
b. promote BMW awareness :)

1996 328ti
04-23-2007, 12:29 PM
As chicane asked - are we supposed to manage the first 350 applications?
Yes. I would keep a spreadsheet or database of names and email addresses requesting a plate. Also keep them in number order in case people have special requests.

And would the CCA object to them being publicly available? After all it would be
a. publicity for the CCA

This is strictly a chapter issue. I'll wait for others to chime in.

I suggest you and Troy (chicane) work some of this out together.
If you get 50 people involved with the design you will be requesting antique plates by the time it's decided.

pranu
04-23-2007, 12:31 PM
I suggest you and Troy (chicane) work some of this out together.
If you get 50 people involved with the design you will be requesting antique plates by the time it's decided.

Oh I didnt mean getting 50 people involved in the design - I was just asking if the CCA did not mind the plates being available to the public at large when they do go into production.

Or would the CCA want to keep the list of people who have the plates under their control.

(which are the two options I inferred from your post earlier.)

chicane
04-23-2007, 12:35 PM
a. publicity for the CCA

That's actually a good question, do we need CCA's permission to use the logo?

1996 328ti
04-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Oh I didnt mean getting 50 people involved in the design - I was just asking if the CCA did not mind the plates being available to the public at large when they do go into production.

Or would the CCA want to keep the list of people who have the plates under their control.

(which are the two options I inferred from your post earlier.)
Trust me. The CCA has no interest in being involved other than making sure there are no copyright enfringments.

Whether they need to go to BMW CCA members only, I will defer that to the our board. Roy? David?

1996 328ti
04-23-2007, 12:37 PM
That's actually a good question, do we need CCA's permission to use the logo?We have permission to use the BMW CCA logo. Just not the BMW roundel.

chicane
04-23-2007, 01:20 PM
If we can get:
25 sign-ups from BlueRidge
25 sign-ups from Tarheel
100 from Tidewater
200 from NCC

We will have the pre-requisite number of folks. I can and will do anything and everything except handle the checks (I would lose my head if it weren't attached to my neck).

I am meeting up with some of the Blue Ridge folks for the annual wine tour so I can bring it up with them again then. I can also re-connect with the Tidewater people and see if I can garner interest there.

It seems we just need the logo in electronic format unless someone has other ideas. Personally, I say keep it simple. If we start opening it up to custom designed logos or art work it has the potential to go on forever.

Also, it looks like we have to have this stuff in by June 1st if we want to do something this year, and we may have to get a letter for permission to use the CCA logo (on top of the 350 apps).

1996 328ti
04-23-2007, 01:36 PM
I'll get a high-rez copy of the logo.

pranu
04-23-2007, 03:30 PM
It seems we just need the logo in electronic format unless someone has other ideas. Personally, I say keep it simple. If we start opening it up to custom designed logos or art work it has the potential to go on forever.

That sounds good - Keeping it simple that is.

Perhaps the first logo on the left side and space for the alpha numerics on the right - much like most other plates.

chicane - I dont really know people in our chapter or others - so unfortunately would not be able to help rally people - let me know if there is any other way I can assist (although handling checks would probably be the last thing I would want to too!) :)

chicane
04-23-2007, 07:42 PM
328 -

Can we get the Chapter treasurer to hold checks and application forms while the rest of us organize, gather interest, and do all of the other grunt work?

I am asking that the respective chapter treasurers hold all checks and forms until we get the pre-requisite 350 and then we can begin pooling them together.

chicane
04-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Can someone create a mockup of a blank Virginia Plate with the CCA logo on the side?? And can you make about three in different sized (large, medium and small).

pranu
04-24-2007, 08:08 AM
I can give photoshop a shot - Steven do let me know when you get hold of the logo.

pranu
04-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Hmmm... Looks like I somehow missed this...

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/07/bmw-drops-ultimate-driving-machine/

So I guess that tagline on the plate isn't a good idea anymore!

As that (old) article mentions - is this true - that the new tagline is "A Company of Ideas"???

Their website still seems to have all sorts of references to "Ultimate" - and thats the tagline that I have always mentally associated the brand with.

1996 328ti
04-24-2007, 08:31 PM
I can give photoshop a shot - Steven do let me know when you get hold of the logo.
Emailed you the rectangular logo. Looking to get the map version also.

pranu
04-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Hmmm... Looks like I somehow missed this...

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/07/bmw-drops-ultimate-driving-machine/

So I guess that tagline on the plate isn't a good idea anymore!

As that (old) article mentions - is this true - that the new tagline is "A Company of Ideas"???

Their website still seems to have all sorts of references to "Ultimate" - and thats the tagline that I have always mentally associated the brand with.

Hmmm - just saw an ad on TV that still used Ultimate Driving machine. Guess they switched back.

Anyway - Steven any clues to how we can check if the phrase "Ultimate Driving Machine" is trademarked and if we can use it?

chicane
04-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Hmmm - just saw an ad on TV that still used Ultimate Driving machine. Guess they switched back.

Anyway - Steven any clues to how we can check if the phrase "Ultimate Driving Machine" is trademarked and if we can use it?

I thought the CCA web address looked great.

BentWookie
04-27-2007, 06:03 PM
*I think* come up with a design then have people fill out the form.
Collect at least 350 checks for $10 or $20 if someone wants a personalized tag. I will assume you can transfer your current personalized tag for an organizational one so REAL M3 will be taken. ;)

Then apply for approval.
Speak or email VA DMV.

Hey Steve - REAL M3 is still available in Virginia. :)

I wanted to avoid offending the *wrong* m3 owners out there and got "UR M3" on my tags just the other week. I'm in for the CCA tags x 2. This is a great idea!

-Bryant

1996 328ti
04-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Hey Steve - REAL M3 is still available in Virginia. :)

I wanted to avoid offending the *wrong* m3 owners out there and got "UR M3" on my tags just the other week. I'm in for the CCA tags x 2. This is a great idea!

-BryantI thought Chuck had Real M3.

BentWookie
04-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Chuck has E30 M3 I believe
Willy Lutz has SPRTEVO on his concours winning car, and the ORIG M3 plate too.

-B

1996 328ti
04-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Chuck has E30 M3 I believeAh. You're right.

330i zhp
04-30-2007, 02:48 PM
i would like to get a cca va plate...i have considered moving to md to get the plate...lol...i am in...let me know what i can do

chicane
04-30-2007, 07:41 PM
All:

I got a chance to speak at the Wine Tour Event with the Blue Ridge Chapter this past Saturday. There was tremendous interest. I had one guy who wanted to get plates for SEVEN of his own cars! They have around 1400-1500 members and their President (Byron McCauley) was very helpful and will get the word out on his end and will hold all applications for Blue Ridge. I will touch base with Tidewater. Everyone help get the word out and I will have a name and address for you to send your applications and checks shortly.

pranu
05-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Thats Fantastic!!!

Do we have anyone here who
a. Has Access to Adobe Illustrator
b. Knows how to work with it?

docchaez
05-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I just played with Visio for all of 5 minutes to get this. Regardless of which design we decide, I'd love to have a BMWCCA license plate on my bimmer! :cool:

1996 328ti
05-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Although the plate can not be chapter specific.
It will available to other chapters in Virginia.

chicane
05-21-2007, 07:19 AM
http://www.s54forum.com/images/avatars/VAPlateMockup2.jpg

Courtesy of Pranu!

1996 328ti
05-27-2007, 07:16 AM
There is interest in 101 VA BMW CCA organizational license plates.
There needs to be a minimum of 350.

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=79,1093,0,0,1,0

pranu
05-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Hmm - No idea when you opened the registration - I just did myself!

102 I hope...

chicane
05-30-2007, 07:14 AM
We have in or around 100 plates so far. We are going to need 250 before we can submit an application so everyone spread the word!

jhm5
06-02-2007, 09:37 AM
are we counting the other virginia chapters?

chicane
06-03-2007, 04:23 PM
are we counting the other virginia chapters?

Yes.

chicane
06-12-2007, 07:12 AM
We are still a ways off on the number needed to submit. Please pass the word around to any and all interested parties that we are working on these plates and have them fill out our email form to notify us that they are interested. Also the more sets of plates the merrier.

mtnstpr
06-13-2007, 01:24 PM
We are still a ways off on the number needed to submit. Please pass the word around to any and all interested parties that we are working on these plates and have them fill out our email form to notify us that they are interested. Also the more sets of plates the merrier.

Has this been posted on the main website nccbmwcca.org or ncc magazine? This is the first I've learned about this.

1996 328ti
06-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Has this been posted on the main website nccbmwcca.org or ncc magazine? This is the first I've learned about this.It was on the NCC home page for a month.
It scrolled off May 31.
I put it back on for a much longer time now.

chicane
06-14-2007, 09:00 AM
It was on the NCC home page for a month.
It scrolled off May 31.
I put it back on for a much longer time now.

Can we also have this as an ongoing item in:
der Bayerische?

1996 328ti
06-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Can we also have this as an ongoing item in:
der Bayerische?Sure. You need to get something to the editor.
editor @<hidden> nccbmwcca.org. It might be too late for the July/August but you can get something in for Sept/Oct on a regular basis.

md-va
06-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Just stumbled on this. These plates would look really good! Just signed up my interest for both of our cars.

1996 328ti
06-16-2007, 08:26 AM
After removing duplicate requests, unofficially I count 185 SETS of plates.

chicane
06-17-2007, 09:52 AM
Please, when requesting the number of license plates, please respond as for the number of SETS of plates.

I have many people sending 2 as in 2 physical plates. VA is a 2 plates state so we know they want 2 plates. This is skewing the results. Thanks.

chicane
07-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Current License Plate order count is over 250. 100 more plates to go.

Tochenzo
07-12-2007, 09:12 AM
gettin there :biggrin:

mtnstpr
07-12-2007, 05:19 PM
With 250 apps, maybe we could find a spot on this VA dmv page for our plate? Advertise for some more interested people? :)

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/exec/vehicle/splates/soon.asp

chicane
07-13-2007, 06:52 AM
With 250 apps, maybe we could find a spot on this VA dmv page for our plate? Advertise for some more interested people? :)

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/exec/vehicle/splates/soon.asp

You only get that coveted spot AFTER you submit the 350 PAID applications.:biggrin:

Tochenzo
07-24-2007, 11:57 PM
is it getting any closer?

1996 328ti
07-25-2007, 11:54 AM
I think it just past the 300 mark.

chicane
07-29-2007, 08:35 PM
I think it just past the 300 mark.

I've got almost 300 also.

JoeBimmer
08-02-2007, 09:49 PM
I just added my name to the list.

J Abshire
08-07-2007, 06:34 AM
Just added mine to the list...

1996 328ti
08-26-2007, 01:29 PM
I am counting 348 after removing duplicates.
We need 350 but I think the count should be 400 before proceeding to the next step.

MikeL1999
09-29-2007, 07:18 AM
I believe they are classy, and shows pride. Maybe BMWCCA members will show off to be the better BMW drivers...more courteous, etc.

vagabond
09-30-2007, 08:45 PM
How are we coming along? The dealers are producing happy new E90 owners on a daily basis, and it seems like a small push at Fairfax, Arlington, and Sterling would bring this number up rather quickly if the option was available at the point of sale. On a selfish note, I'd just like to get a set on my cars...

FrankoQ
10-22-2007, 11:06 AM
update?

chicane
11-05-2007, 04:48 PM
As it stands now we are over the required amount to actually begin the process of getting the custom license plate.

Unfortunately, I have changed jobs and my new schedule (along with my other at-home responsibilities), no longer permits me to continue to act as the primary resource in this endeavor.

I can relay information to the next person so we can move forward with this, as I believe it to be a worthwhile goal. And I can make myself available to the next club member in the chain who is ready to take the baton and move to the next level.

mtnstpr
11-12-2007, 08:56 AM
I can accept the baton and be the POC for this worthwhile goal. Msg me thru PM and I'd be happy to get started on the next step. Let me know.

As it stands now we are over the required amount to actually begin the process of getting the custom license plate.

Unfortunately, I have changed jobs and my new schedule (along with my other at-home responsibilities), no longer permits me to continue to act as the primary resource in this endeavor.

I can relay information to the next person so we can move forward with this, as I believe it to be a worthwhile goal. And I can make myself available to the next club member in the chain who is ready to take the baton and move to the next level.

Panalu
11-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Let's hope this BMWCCA license plate initiative goes through so we can push Virginia's numbers even higher

URSOVAIN: Va. Tops Nation in Vanity Tags (AP, 111507)

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jYtawjcu7PDu4DWIIQEfYQ7tBBYgD8SS5IH80

A state-by-state survey of the popularity of vanity license plates has found that car and truck owners in Virginia are the vainest of them all.Not far behind are New Hampshire, Illinois, Nevada and Montana.
Out of the 9.3 million personalized plates on the roads of America, about one in 10 are in Virginia, according to rankings provided to The Associated Press by the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators.

mtnstpr
11-19-2007, 10:54 PM
I've received the list of interested VA plate parties from Troy (chicane) and Steven. The next step is to start collecting the 350 checks made out to NCC BMW CCA with a filled out vsa 10 (http://www.dmvnow.com/webdoc/pdf/vsa10.pdf) form to send off to Richmond. Each collected check will be made payable to NCC BMW CCA and then the chapter will cut one check to the DMV.

I will start emailing interested parties soon and post status updates to this thread.

glindsay
11-20-2007, 07:20 AM
I'm glad I won't have to dock the fleet across the river just to get decent plates. Thanks to all for organizing this.

vagabond
11-20-2007, 08:00 AM
How much do we write the check for? Which block do we check off? 'Special Interest' and then write in BMWCCA? 'Other' and write in BMWCCA?

beahmer
11-20-2007, 12:32 PM
I've received the list of interested VA plate parties from Troy (chicane) and Steven. The next step is to start collecting the 350 checks made out to NCC BMW CCA with a filled out vsa 10 (http://www.dmvnow.com/webdoc/pdf/vsa10.pdf) form to send off to Richmond. Each collected check will be made payable to NCC BMW CCA and then the chapter will cut one check to the DMV.

I will start emailing interested parties soon and post status updates to this thread.

Just signed up this afternoon - had another set of personal tags on my old bmw, want to change them to these for the new one. Not too late?

chicane
11-20-2007, 10:51 PM
If they are regular specialty plates the fee is $10, if they are personalized then the fee is $20. It should have the fee schedule on either the form or the DMV website.

mtnstpr
11-25-2007, 10:14 PM
My plan is to send out a preliminary email this week to be sure the list I have is upto date with over 350 interested registered vehicles and to be sure everyone on it is ready to send me a check with in the next 30 days. Expect an email from bmw[at]funfaxauctions.com and if need be, place this email address in your address book if your provider could filter to spam. If you are interested, no response is needed. If you are no longer interested, please respond with a 'not interested'. I will post again to this message thread when the email has gone out.

The check will be for $10 for one registered vehicle or $20 if you are requesting a personalized plate or transferring a current vanity plate. Motorcycles do not count towards the needed 350 for this plate.

As for the VSA10 forms, the other field with BMW CCA will suffice. The first 350+ forms will be sent in at the sametime for the same plate.

Any other questions, please let me know and thanks again.

mtnstpr
11-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Update:

I sent out my email today to gauge interest. I've copied my email below and I'll keep everyone posted on status.

Hello,

I am writing to you because you have expressed interested in being one of the first 350 applicants for the Virginia BWM CCA license plate. I wanted to be sure everyone on this list was still interested in this plate, have a registered Virginia vehicle, and would be able to send me a check with the proper vehicle registration information. The needed paper work to be sent in is found at this link -> VSA-10 (http://www.dmvnow.com/webdoc/pdf/vsa10.pdf) .

If you are interested and are willing to follow up with the needed paper work to submit an application for the BWM CCA license plate, no response is needed.

If you are no longer interested in a Virginia BWM CCA license plate, please respond to this email with a not interested.

I will be the point of contact for any questions going forward. Please feel free to call or email with any questions.

The plan is to wait a week to give everyone a chance to respond to this message. If we are above the 350 Virginia vehicle registrations, I will then send out another email to request a check and filled out VSA-10 (http://www.dmvnow.com/webdoc/pdf/vsa10.pdf) form to send to Richmond. The cost is $10 for regular specialty plates, if you have personalized plates then the fee is $20.

Thanks again for your attention and support in this matter.

Sincerely,
mtnstpr

pranu
11-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Fantastic!

Quick question - are we still going with the design I had drafted sometime back? I believe the image is available here - http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showpost.php?p=18554&postcount=64. Or has the design evolved since then?

Just wondering how many character limit we might have for personalized plates.

mtnstpr
11-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Correct, that is the current design of the plate to be submitted. Nice work on the plate design!

Fantastic!

Quick question - are we still going with the design I had drafted sometime back? I believe the image is available here - http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showpost.php?p=18554&postcount=64. Or has the design evolved since then?

Just wondering how many character limit we might have for personalized plates.

pranu
11-29-2007, 02:04 PM
hmmm - now to try and figure out what I can do with 6 characters!

Too bad my current plate is 7.5 :(

L N Love
11-30-2007, 09:36 AM
FYI...I received the email and according to the instructions am not responding because I still want one. The email was in my SPAM folder so I'm glad I caught it.

pranu
11-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Hey mtnstpr and chicane - do you guys have any soft copies of stuff that you might have sent to other chapters to advertise?

I was just speaking Scott and Chris Coulter of Curry's this morning - and they would be more than happy to advertize about this at their locations and tell people about it.

Just wondering if you have something or if I should just put together something from scratch.

docchaez
11-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Mtnstpr,
I either have not received your email or I've already cleared my SPAM box w/o knowing you were going to send out an E-mail. Should I re-register again? My email address is docchaez AT yahoo DOT com

mtnstpr
12-03-2007, 10:33 AM
docchaez I re-sent the message to your email on file. The yahoo email is the one I have on file, no need to re-register.

Thanks!

Mtnstpr,
I either have not received your email or I've already cleared my SPAM box w/o knowing you were going to send out an E-mail. Should I re-register again? My email address is docchaez AT yahoo DOT com

mtnstpr
12-03-2007, 10:44 AM
I have not seen any soft copy advertising for the plate and we could use some more help with getting the word out.

Yes, if you could throw something together to help get the word out about the plate, that would be great. You can put my contact info and a link to the website to sign up. Any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Hey mtnstpr and chicane - do you guys have any soft copies of stuff that you might have sent to other chapters to advertise?

I was just speaking Scott and Chris Coulter of Curry's this morning - and they would be more than happy to advertize about this at their locations and tell people about it.

Just wondering if you have something or if I should just put together something from scratch.

docchaez
12-03-2007, 05:55 PM
docchaez I re-sent the message to your email on file. The yahoo email is the one I have on file, no need to re-register.

Thanks!

Thank you, mtnstpr. I got your email this time.
I appreciate for your time and effort to get this effort going!

mtnstpr
12-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Hello, A quick update on the progress. I have heard from the 'Not interested' on the list and we are around the needed number of applicants to pull the trigger on this.

My plan is to contact the DMV in the beginning of January and double check that I have everything in place. After I have all the details set, I'll send out another message to hit the green light!

Again, any questions, please contact me, and be sure to spread the word to any interested parties!!!

1996 328ti
01-02-2008, 10:36 PM
You guys have the official OK to use the BMW CCA logo as displayed below.

pranu
01-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Great news Steven!

Although for some reason I had already assumed long back that we had the OK! :)

Glad its there!

1996 328ti
01-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Great news Steven!

Although for some reason I had already assumed long back that we had the OK! :)

Glad its there!We did from the previous executive director who is no longer with us. I wanted to hear it from the CCA executive board as well.

Gforce
01-16-2008, 02:12 PM
How close are we to getting this tag through........I am very anxious

pranu
01-16-2008, 04:26 PM
How close are we to getting this tag through........I am very anxious
Well I think mtnstpr is still working on finalizing all the logistics with DMV -

and then after that we start collecting checks with applications. Then we submit the application after we have hit the minimum number.

Then DMV's timeline kicks in

The estimated time frames for the development and issuance process are:
Receive prepaid applications, logo use agreement and plate design. Review and approve plate design. - 8 weeks

Submit plate design to vendor and receive prototype. 6 to 8 weeks

Emboss the prototype and receive approvals from DMV, the sponsor, and State Police (when necessary). - 8 weeks

Order and receive the sheeting for printing. - 8 to 10 weeks

Applications processed, plates produced and mailed to customer. - 6 weeks

(from http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/platesponsor_special.pdf)

So DMV itself will take about 10 months from the looks of it.

So it maybe - MAYBE a nice Christmas present this year.

e39bimmer
01-17-2008, 01:14 PM
I guess I can wait a little longer.

bavarian19
02-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Any news on this? Im excited to hear anything new...

vagabond
02-20-2008, 06:59 AM
Are we ready to start collecting checks at this point? I believe we have the req'd number of people, right?

bavarian19
03-09-2008, 12:55 PM
:bump:

FrankoQ
03-22-2008, 04:33 PM
:icon_poke

ase2dais
03-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Thks again for the follks who is spearheading this.... I'd say a club appreciation certificate is warranted :)

genxguy
04-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Just signed up. What's the count so far, and when/how do we send our checks in?

mtnstpr
04-13-2008, 07:32 PM
BMW Plate Update:

Numbers, they look good for a first start, keep them coming in. Some people do leave for some reason, the more numbers the better for the first wave.

I'm holding back the green light to send in checks/paperwork until I hear back from my state legislator on next steps. I've contacted and awaiting reply.

Thanks to all for the :icon_poke and msgs, helps remind the state reps need the same :)

mtnstpr
04-13-2008, 08:01 PM
One last msg, I just created a Facebook page to help spread the word. Feel free to join the group and forward to any interested parties! Thanks again for your help.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=17118660389

mtnstpr
05-17-2008, 08:10 AM
Quick update, I heard back from my state rep's assistant yesterday! She promised to call me back with more information in the next couple days.

Which is great, I won't go into how much fun calling my state rep has been... :)

For anyone wondering, we need a state rep to put our new license plate up for vote by the Virginia state assembly to become law.

For anyone who was wondering why this has taken so long or what is happening. The Virginia state assembly needs to vote on this plate coming into existence. Just that minor detail, haha

Once I get a delegate on board and we're both on the same page. I'll start collecting everyone's paperwork.

I'll keep everyone posted...

Jim Dunlap
06-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Over a year has passed since the last post on this topic. Someone should jack this one up and light a fire under it. Heaven knows we must have enough VA members to sell plates. Have you looked at the vanity plate info on VA DMV re who has them? Honestly have you? Adopting greyhounds? Riding Harley Davidson Motorcycles?? Fox Hunting??? AFL-CIO???? Ducks Unlimited????? Well if you have checked out the DMV site, you'll understand this pronouncement: if they can, we can.

Jim Dunlap
06-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Sorry dudes...contrary to my "over a year" comment I now see - damn, I hate these Forum websites; don't know how they work; never will - more recent posts. But the basic point remains: there are some really weird vanity plates out there, and we - we who are NOT weird people - don't have one.

chicane
06-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Over a year has passed since the last post on this topic. Someone should jack this one up and light a fire under it. Heaven knows we must have enough VA members to sell plates. Have you looked at the vanity plate info on VA DMV re who has them? Honestly have you? Adopting greyhounds? Riding Harley Davidson Motorcycles?? Fox Hunting??? AFL-CIO???? Ducks Unlimited????? Well if you have checked out the DMV site, you'll understand this pronouncement: if they can, we can.

Easy on the Starbucks there buddy :) , everything is well in hand...

Jim Dunlap
06-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Can't do Starbucks by the shot. For the price of every cup I think: geez...that's 1/3 gallon of hi test and at least 6 miles on the clock at slow speeds. So I buy it by the bag and brew it in the office on my 4 cupper machine.

But that said, "well in hand" sounds good. In the meantime my '07 335i Monaco Blue Coupe is carrying Surfrider Foundation vanity plates. Que pena.

mcoupemindy
07-10-2008, 10:56 AM
UPDATE --- 07/10/08

As discussed at the 07/09/08 NCCBMWCCA Board Meeting, the Virginia license plate project will no longer be a focus of our chapter's resources. This decision was based upon two major issues:

1.) Lack of interest. (It hasn't been shown that 350 people are willing to commit the funds necessary to make this happen.)
2.) Time in processing. (The best estimation of time from when money is started to be collected to actual receipt of the plates is estimated to be no less than 18-24 months.)

We are willing to answer any questions pertaining to this decision. Thanks for you understanding.

Jonathan Thayer

chicane
07-10-2008, 08:58 PM
UPDATE --- 07/10/08

As discussed at the 07/09/08 NCCBMWCCA Board Meeting, the Virginia license plate project will no longer be a focus of our chapter's resources. This decision was based upon two major issues:

1.) Lack of interest. (It hasn't been shown that 350 people are willing to commit the funds necessary to make this happen.)
2.) Time in processing. (The best estimation of time from when money is started to be collected to actual receipt of the plates is estimated to be no less than 18-24 months.)

We are willing to answer any questions pertaining to this decision. Thanks for you understanding.

Jonathan Thayer

I thought we had the 350 requisite users sign up? All that time and effort just to give up? Even if it is on a longer span of time to get the plates i don't think we should just throw in the towel. Just my $.02.

Jim Dunlap
07-10-2008, 10:26 PM
18 months from now I'll be living in California, so it's no skin off my nose. But I am intrigued by the fact that the DC Surfrider chapter...basically a quorum of young folks homesick for California or some other coastal locale, many of whom ride bicycles...have VA vanity plates available to them. I happen to have one on my 335i, for Pete's sake...witness the enclosed. So...hmmm. It's true that our SF chapter has been around "forever" and has "connections." But...hmmm. I'm going to ask around.

pseto
07-11-2008, 06:50 AM
even if we had 350 people, don't they ALL have to pay before the tags are even made? if thats the case, maybe someone can volunteer to handle this tedious process?

i'm very sure that there's enough interest out there, but people need to put their money up first. or, they can move to MD :)

mcoupemindy
07-11-2008, 06:57 AM
even if we had 350 people, don't they ALL have to pay before the tags are even made? if thats the case, maybe someone can volunteer to handle this tedious process?

i'm very sure that there's enough interest out there, but people need to put their money up first. or, they can move to MD :)

Paul, at last check, there were less than 250 people who showed just a non-monetary commitment.

mtnstpr
07-11-2008, 08:27 AM
according to my count, we have well over 400 people interested in the plate. when i first recieved the interested party list back in december it had around 350 interested and is now above 400.

the last hurdle i've run into is down in richmond, my local legislator is not interested in sponsoring this plate on the upcoming winter balot. i'm upto numerous calls not returned with my legislator and he definitely does not have my vote in the next election.

my guess is to move forward is we'll need a legislator outside of northern virginia to sponsor our plate. i've talked to representation in arlington and vienna. below is the link to find your legislator, house or senate, doesn't matter. get in contact and tell them we met all the other requirements for a new plate, now we need a legislator to sponser in richmond.

i can still volunteer to help collect the paper work and maintain the list is still open.

any thoughts, suggestions, or to just let go, let me know....

Click here to find out who your legislator is http://legis.state.va.us/ (http://legis.state.va.us/) click on Who's My Legislator.

mcoupemindy
07-11-2008, 08:37 AM
according to my count, we have well over 400 people interested in the plate. when i first recieved the interested party list back in december it had around 350 interested and is now above 400.

the last hurdle i've run into is down in richmond, my local legislator is not interested in sponsoring this plate on the upcoming winter balot. i'm upto numerous calls not returned with my legislator and he definitely does not have my vote in the next election.

my guess is to move forward is we'll need a legislator outside of northern virginia to sponsor our plate. i've talked to representation in arlington and vienna. below is the link to find your legislator, house or senate, doesn't matter. get in contact and tell them we met all the other requirements for a new plate, now we need a legislator to sponser in richmond.

i can still volunteer to help collect the paper work and maintain the list is still open.

Click here to find out who your legislator is http://legis.state.va.us/ (http://legis.state.va.us/) click on Who's My Legislator.

Just FYI ... Legislator sponsorship is one of the last steps in the process. Money with all applications needs to be collected and turned in to the DMV first.

mtnstpr
07-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Just FYI ... Legislator sponsorship is one of the last steps in the process. Money with all applications needs to be collected and turned in to the DMV first.

Carolyn E., my POC with the DMV informed me of the reverse scenario as did my local legislative representatives in Vienna/Arlington...

1. Have your local representative commit to sponsor the bill to be sponsored/voted on as state legislation.

2. Collect the needed paperwork within 30 days to be turned into the DMV after the representation has signed on.

If you've heard different from Carolyn or have experience with this, please feel free to get in contact with me.

mcoupemindy
07-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Carolyn E., my POC with the DMV informed me of the reverse scenario as did my local legislative representatives in Vienna/Arlington...

1. Have your local representative commit to sponsor the bill to be sponsored/voted on as state legislation.

2. Collect the needed paperwork within 30 days to be turned into the DMV after the representation has signed on.

If you've heard different from Carolyn or have experience with this, please feel free to get in contact with me.

Your #2 statement says everything ...

If you don't collect money and applications before getting legislature approval, how do you plan on having everything submitted within the 30 day period? You must have everything ready to go before legislature to make it work.

I honestly don't think that you're going to find 350 people willing to front $35.00 for a finished product to arrive no earlier than 18 months from collection date. (BTW ... This means collecting the money and creating an escrow account)

You can continue on whatever route you want, but as of this point, our chapter's board has decided to not support this project.

mtnstpr
07-11-2008, 12:18 PM
30 days, those would be the state of Virginia, government 30 days... it's not the library over there... We are raising $ for the common wealth, cut off dates are soft...

Price upfront would be $10 or $20 for a 6 letter combination...
Agreed, higher prices $25/$35 for profit was decided against by the chapter when I took over in Dec 07

MD took 2+ years to get their plate, VA would be faster because...

In my whole seven months working on this list, I've noticed different groups interested in this plate. Either, I want this plate last week or I'm not interested. Or people interested in this plate.

I'm sorry to hear everyone who has worked on this project so far has not been fast enough to meet your deadline for the chapter support...

Wildcats64
07-11-2008, 02:08 PM
I was at Board meeting on 7-09-08, where the Virginia BMW CLub license issue was discussed. The problems including getting a Virginia State Delegate to sponsor the plate along with having at least 350 PAID applications before you could even get to a House vote. The time frame of 18 months to 24 months before you would possibly ever see a license appeared to be unreasonable. In addition, nobody wanted to volunteer to take on the task of coordinating license requests or having to deal with the Virginia politicans. Hell, they can't even get the tax issue for road repairs/improvements resolved. I am sure that our license application would be on the bottom of the pile.

Dennis Follett
:)

vagabond
07-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm sort of suprised we don't have enough ego to wait out 18 months and some legislative red tape to have awesome long-term exposure for the club. Politicians have to wait 'til they're dead to get their name on a bridge- 18 months is well within all of our lifetimes! If there are 350 'hard core' members (not those who join for a year and fade away) in the entire Commonwealth, I don't think it would be that hard to part with the dollar equivalent of 3 cocktails plus tip in an escrow account until we get this through. Or, you can pay more taxes and move to Maryland.

JRansom
07-11-2008, 05:19 PM
I don't live in Virginia, and if I did would be frustrateed to not be able to get plates, and that being said I find it interesting that it is cheaper and easier to get a personalized plate than an organizational plate.

I think it worthy of the time of the chapters covering Virginia and the National office to come to a joint meeting of the minds and correspond to each and every member of the legislature to
A. express concern over the process,
B. ask for asssistance in making this happen,
and maybe even looking for a compromise with the state by escalating this to the highest levels of the Motor Vehicle Administration and elected government.
While it is no small amount of money once collected, it is in reality a drop in one's personal cash bucket, compared to the cost of one's car and the gas to keep it on the road.
I think we should re-think this, start the collection process and make it happen.
And lastly, if you are willing to complete the application today and once approved not follow through...consider it your loss. If the club can't make it happen in 24 months...consider it your dues payment three years out.

Just my two cents, but not neccesarily the correct two cents.

1996 328ti
07-11-2008, 06:38 PM
I think it worthy of the time of the chapters covering Virginia and the National office to come to a joint meeting of the minds and correspond to each and every member of the legislature to . . .
National office? :eek:

Car54
07-11-2008, 09:39 PM
I believe the board consider a committee to get this back on track?

It sounds like people are so interested, that they'd volunteer to see this through. Those kind of people, unfortunately, weren't at the 7-9-08 board meeting. If this is just internet mumbo jumbo that's one thing, but if people are willing to start using real names and volunteering real time, I think the board would support the effort.

Can we get some commitment of volunteers and people to show presence at next month's meeting? Maybe a couple of checks and some signatures could persuade them.

chicane
07-11-2008, 10:04 PM

I know we have enough interested people (and growing) that is a non-issue. Also, the procedure calls for showing that you have the requisite 350 interested people FIRST, then you get the legislator to put it up for vote get approval THEN you collect the money and send it to DMV. So honestly I don't see what the problem is here other then an uncooperative legislator of which there are many. And who won't sponsor a BMW license plate it is hardly controversial. I'll check with mine.

chicane
07-11-2008, 10:06 PM

+2. You are correct FIRST you get the interested parties, get the plate voted on, THEN you collect the money and send the applications to DMV.

chicane
07-11-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm sort of suprised we don't have enough ego to wait out 18 months and some legislative red tape to have awesome long-term exposure for the club. Politicians have to wait 'til they're dead to get their name on a bridge- 18 months is well within all of our lifetimes! If there are 350 'hard core' members (not those who join for a year and fade away) in the entire Commonwealth, I don't think it would be that hard to part with the dollar equivalent of 3 cocktails plus tip in an escrow account until we get this through. Or, you can pay more taxes and move to Maryland.

x1000. So what if it takes 18 months? That will make the plate that much sweeter when I bolt it onto my ///M3. No one is asking NCC to shell out some big expenditure for this venture. Honestly what has NCC specifically contributed for this venture, besides the work of individual NCC members?

mcoupemindy
07-12-2008, 05:18 AM
I believe the board consider a committee to get this back on track?

It sounds like people are so interested, that they'd volunteer to see this through. Those kind of people, unfortunately, weren't at the 7-9-08 board meeting. If this is just internet mumbo jumbo that's one thing, but if people are willing to start using real names and volunteering real time, I think the board would support the effort.

Can we get some commitment of volunteers and people to show presence at next month's meeting? Maybe a couple of checks and some signatures could persuade them.

There was no representation for the last 5 months ...

Get a committee together with a SOLID ACTION PLAN and DATE SPECIFIC OUTLINE and I'm sure that it could be supported 100%. The board meeting dates and locations are posted on this site every month - there is NO REASON why a committe cannot attend. Better yet, if you go through with this, I will take atleast one plate myself.

When creating this action plan, please be ready to provide exactly which information you need to collect at which stage. I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to set a real webpage up to support you. To do this, I need to see EXACTLY what you need to collect - please bring examples and lists of information. I WILL help you manage the data and help you to success. This project in my opinion could be done, but we need real help instead of internet comments.

Car54
07-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Amen!

That's what I was trying to say.

Jim Dunlap
07-19-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm the one that spoofted us for this being so tough to do, using as my reference point the fact that the Surfrider Foundation folks (of which I'm one) have them. I did some checking. Turns out they had to jump though all of the same hoops described here and there above in this string, and then some. And, it was the Virginia Beach chapter (yes, there are a ton of surfers over there) that pushed it though. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going back outside to the doghouse. :redface:

chicane
07-20-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm the one that spoofted us for this being so tough to do, using as my reference point the fact that the Surfrider Foundation folks (of which I'm one) have them. I did some checking. Turns out they had to jump though all of the same hoops described here and there above in this string, and then some. And, it was the Virginia Beach chapter (yes, there are a ton of surfers over there) that pushed it though. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going back outside to the doghouse. :redface:

Thanks for fessing up. We are not going thru any more hoops than anyone else who have applied for one of these things. It is not costing the chapter anything other than a few hours here and there by certain members. IMHO it is a worthwhile endeavor.

Johntee540
07-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for fessing up. We are not going thru any more hoops than anyone else who have applied for one of these things. It is not costing the chapter anything other than a few hours here and there by certain members. IMHO it is a worthwhile endeavor.

I am still in for 3 cars maybe 4 if this goes forward. Hey - Lets get VADMV to show us a little BMW love! - JT

ButtDyno
09-28-2008, 01:09 AM
It has been tried in the past, and never made it all the way through. There is a process to do it, but you need to get 350 people committed and paid ahead of time. See http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/platesponsor_special.pdf for the process.

Kevin
I just want to make sure I understand this. Let me know if this is accurate:

0) Some sort of instructions would have to be written up, maybe a sample VSA10, as well as some expectation setting about the timetable and how long the $$ might be sitting before something happens. This could be posted at local shops/dealerships as well as put into the newsletter and on the front page of the website.

1) 350 people need to do the following:
a) fill out this form (http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/vsa10.pdf). Those people need to have up to date registrations in VA for the car in question.
b) Send the form, $25 (plus another $10 for personalized messages) and certification of membership (if necessary) to some central organizing person
c) wait patiently for the 350 person cap to be hit (probably more than 350, in case people move away).

2) Once that cap is hit, and the central organizing person has 350+ applications, $8750 (350 x 25), and some proof of membership for those 350 applicants, then the central organizing person sends the following to the DMV:
-the $$
-the applications (organized into 3 categories)
-permission to use the logo
-the actual artwork in vector format

3) DMV sends back a metal prototype of the plate which has to be blessed by the coordinator.

4) Once blessed, smooth sailing?

What I don't see in the PDF document is how the state legislators are involved in the process - or are they the sponsor?

This doesn't sound too terrible - and once it's done, it's done, right? It won't expire?

The biggest hurdles I see is who creates the escrow account, and getting the word out.

mtnstpr
09-29-2008, 06:29 PM
This document from the VA DMV should provide more information to a majority of your questions. http://docs.google.com/View?docid=df9qg2xn_0c2d3x7dv

We do have access to BMW's CCA account for an escrow account and at last check about a year ago we do have over 350 interested parties for this plate.

The last and largest hurdle is getting the state legislators involved. The first paragraph of the linked document talks about the legislator.

If you're outside northern Virginia or want to take a stab at contacting your VA legislator, any help is welcome!

It has been about a month since I last contacted mine :)

ButtDyno
10-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Dear Mr. [BD]

Senator Puller asked me to let you know that she would be glad to enter the necessary legislation for you if you can get the required number of pre-sold plates.

Just let us know.

Kate [lastname]
Legislative Aide
703 xxx-xxxx

So, that's cool :)

If anyone is taking the lead on organizing this, let me know and I'll forward you the original email. Hopefully she is still around after November!

John

mtnstpr
10-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Excellent!!

I still have the list of interested parties as of last winter. I can circulate again to see where we are on the list and with nccbwmcca.

Definitely send along any information you have and stay in contact with your gov contacts.

Thanks again for your help!

So, that's cool :)

If anyone is taking the lead on organizing this, let me know and I'll forward you the original email. Hopefully she is still around after November!

John

chicane
12-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Excellent!!

I still have the list of interested parties as of last winter. I can circulate again to see where we are on the list and with nccbwmcca.

Definitely send along any information you have and stay in contact with your gov contacts.

Update?

ButtDyno
12-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Excellent!!

Send it to where? Drop me a PM or email me

jjw - bmwcca at johntology
dot org :)

chicane
05-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Update?

Sport Evo
05-08-2009, 07:27 PM
I was curious about this too!! I think I am officially on the list for two sets, but would now be interested in 4 sets if I can keep 2 of my vaintys.

Thanks!

mtnstpr
05-12-2009, 08:31 AM
We have a state rep agreed to submit our plate to the state assembly and the numbers are good last I checked.

Next, would be to collect everyone's money and paper work and send along to Richmond.

I'll drop a msg with the group's treasurer if we can still use the checking account and po box. Or if you know who I should contact about this, please msg me. Thanks!

Reach
05-12-2009, 09:29 AM
I would be happy to jump in on this as well if we've got use of the escrow account.

The real question is what would the plate look like? I suppose it would have the blue and white CCA logo on the left side and have 5-6 letter spaces available next to it. What would be across the bottom? Probably couldn't fit "National Capital Chapter" on there...

I'll make a deposit as well if it gets setup.

ronh21
05-12-2009, 10:02 AM
...The real question is what would the plate look like? I suppose it would have the blue and white CCA logo on the left side and have 5-6 letter spaces available next to it. What would be across the bottom? Probably couldn't fit "National Capital Chapter" on there...

I don't think the Tidewater and Blue Ridge chapters would appreciate "National Capital Chapter" on there even if it did fit :wink:

I would be in for one plate if it happens.

Reach
05-12-2009, 10:49 AM
I don't think the Tidewater and Blue Ridge chapters would appreciate "National Capital Chapter" on there even if it did fit :wink:

Fair point! But, to the organizers go the spoils! :eek:

chicane
05-12-2009, 02:57 PM
We have a state rep agreed to submit our plate to the state assembly and the numbers are good last I checked.

Next, would be to collect everyone's money and paper work and send along to Richmond.

I'll drop a msg with the group's treasurer if we can still use the checking account and po box. Or if you know who I should contact about this, please msg me. Thanks!

I believe the treasurer agreed to handle the money the last time I checked but that was a while ago, better double check.

mtnstpr
05-13-2009, 08:22 AM
I just sent my msg to the treasurer and I believe it is the same gentlemen I spoke with over a year ago. Hopefully we can use the groups account to collect the money upfront.

Here is a link to the mock up plate http://bmwccavaplates.posterous.com/645525

Vanity plates will have up to 6 characters available and you can transfer your current vanity plate to this plate when it is ready.

The plate would be ready after I collect 350 applications with fees, submit to Richmond, and a state legislator will have to put on the ballot to vote on. After the state has approved the plate, then plates will be available. The process could possibly take up to 12-24 months.

The fees are $10 for the BMW CCA plate or $20 for the BMW CCA vanity plate. If I missed any other questions, let me know.

mcoupemindy
05-13-2009, 08:28 AM
I just sent my msg to the treasurer and I believe it is the same gentlemen I spoke with over a year ago. Hopefully we can use the groups account to collect the money upfront.

Here is a link to the mock up plate http://bmwccavaplates.posterous.com/645525

Vanity plates will have up to 6 characters available and you can transfer your current vanity plate to this plate when it is ready.

The plate would be ready after I collect 350 applications with fees, submit to Richmond, and a state legislator will have to put on the ballot to vote on. After the state has approved the plate, then plates will be available. The process could possibly take up to 12-24 months.

The fees are $10 for the BMW CCA plate or $20 for the BMW CCA vanity plate. If I missed any other questions, let me know.

Has nationals approved the design? You cannot use the logo without written consent of the national organization.

mtnstpr
05-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Has nationals approved the design? You cannot use the logo without written consent of the national organization.

It has been a year or two since we last had permission for that design.

Found out today that the CCA logo is not acceptable and a new design for the chapter is coming soon...

I'll update as I hear more about the new logo....

1996 328ti
05-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Has nationals approved the design? You cannot use the logo without written consent of the national organization.Need to check with BMW NA since the CCA logo is expected to change due to changes in the International Council logo rules. I'll let Steve know as soon as I hear back.

chicane
05-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Need to check with BMW NA since the CCA logo is expected to change due to changes in the International Council logo rules. I'll let Steve know as soon as I hear back.

So are you saying CCA won't let us use the logo or there is a new one that we must use?

1996 328ti
05-14-2009, 04:11 PM
So are you saying CCA won't let us use the logo or there is a new one that we must use?
There may be new CCA logo coming along. When? I we don't know.

We want to be sure there is no problem to continue the use of the current logo on the plate after it has changed. As soon as we hear from BMW I will let Steve know.

chicane
06-03-2009, 09:41 PM
OK this is both embarrassing and a tad disturbing; a plate for motorcycle-driving fans of singer Jimmy Buffet (the “Parrothead Motorcycle” plate).

http://www.wydaily.com/2474/Yes-More-Options-for-Specialty-License-Plates.html

ButtDyno
06-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Keep the faith!

<- registered in PA now :(

Fennec
08-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey I will be renewing my membership and just moved to VA from MD (no more CCA plates)... Can I join the list (if there is one)

~Luis

TTyMiller
09-21-2009, 04:12 PM
for my 2 bimmers

evil_twin
09-29-2009, 06:39 AM
Count me in, and my girlfriend will probably get one too.

cbh03
10-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I am in too.

profbooty
12-03-2009, 11:10 AM
any updates on this?

ButtDyno
03-01-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm in Virginia again (probably to stay this time!). chicane et al are you still interested?

E92Monstah
03-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Count me in! I was wondering why VA didn't have one.

Knottsgm
02-15-2018, 07:11 PM
So I see this is a way old thread, but is this still a thing? I'm very interested myself

John in VA
02-15-2018, 07:23 PM
There was a request (within the past year) seeking names of those members interested in the VA plates, but I haven't heard anything more from Billy, the point man.

Billydix
09-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Yes VA tags are in the works. Our biggest problem is getting a VA congressman to sponsor us. If you know one and get get him to sponsor us, we will see tags by 2020.It takes a year to complete the process.