PDA

View Full Version : E46 wheel sizes to remain in Showroom?

Brandon
04-06-2007, 10:34 AM
I recently picked up a 2004 325i (meaning an e30 convertible is now for sale) and I'm trying to determine the allowable wheel sizes to remain in Showroom. I believe the sport package came with 17x8s. I've come across a good deal on a staggered setup from a 330 (17x7.5 and 17x8.5, perhaps), but I'm not sure this is allowable given the "from the factory" requirement. Can I get some input on 1) is the 17x8 my only factory option for the 325 and 2) would the staggered setup, if I have it correct, be ineligible?

I plan on buying soon...

Thanks,
Brandon

bren
04-06-2007, 11:12 AM
You are correct. 17x8 was the only factory available option on the 325.

IIRC, you even have to run factory tire sizes.

SMOODY
04-06-2007, 12:12 PM
While the staggered setup looks cool, I don't think it would really help you in autocross. The wider rear wheels and tires would make the car less willing to rotate. This is not really a desired handling trait in autocross.

JST
04-09-2007, 08:56 AM
I recently picked up a 2004 325i (meaning an e30 convertible is now for sale) and I'm trying to determine the allowable wheel sizes to remain in Showroom. I believe the sport package came with 17x8s. I've come across a good deal on a staggered setup from a 330 (17x7.5 and 17x8.5, perhaps), but I'm not sure this is allowable given the "from the factory" requirement. Can I get some input on 1) is the 17x8 my only factory option for the 325 and 2) would the staggered setup, if I have it correct, be ineligible?

I plan on buying soon...

Thanks,
Brandon

But if you have an extra set of wheels, you can always put your stock ones back on for autocrossing. You can't run R comps in Showroom, but you could run some stickier street tires.

Or, you could just get R comps and forget about Showroom.

Or, you could stay with the 8 inch setup for the street. As the poster noted above, it has a better balance than the staggered setup, anyway. Had I been able to find a set of 8 inch wheels from a 325, I would have put them on my 330 for autocrossing.