PDA

View Full Version : TRANSMISSION NEEDED - 2000 BMW 323i w/ MANUMATIC SPORT MODE

mycoal_2006
03-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Vehicle Model: 2000 BMW 323i 4DR (E46)

I own a 2000 BMW 323i and it's reverse gear simply stopped working recently? I was told by two mechanics that I need to replace the entire transmission, meaning, it cannot be "rebuilt" given that it is one complete housing or something like that??

I need help. Does anyone have any sound advice regarding reverse gears and getting them fixed on a 2000 BMW 323i??

If I cannot get it "fixed" which I believe is the case, then it will be necessary for me to purchase a used/refurbished transmission. Any ideas on what I should expect to pay for this?? How about labor?

Anyone, please respond with any helpful suggestions...where to find a used/refurbished tranny'? Best place to get it worked on near Arlington, VA or Springfield, VA??

All comments and suggestions welcomed...

-Mycoal_2006@<hidden> :confused:

chicane
03-14-2007, 07:42 AM
Vehicle Model: 2000 BMW 323i 4DR (E46)

I own a 2000 BMW 323i and it's reverse gear simply stopped working recently? I was told by two mechanics that I need to replace the entire transmission, meaning, it cannot be "rebuilt" given that it is one complete housing or something like that??

I need help. Does anyone have any sound advice regarding reverse gears and getting them fixed on a 2000 BMW 323i??

If I cannot get it "fixed" which I believe is the case, then it will be necessary for me to purchase a used/refurbished transmission. Any ideas on what I should expect to pay for this?? How about labor?

Anyone, please respond with any helpful suggestions...where to find a used/refurbished tranny'? Best place to get it worked on near Arlington, VA or Springfield, VA??

All comments and suggestions welcomed...

-Mycoal_2006@<hidden> :confused:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=388608&highlight=reverse+323i

ChosenGSR
03-14-2007, 08:39 AM
I am pretty sure that automatics can be rebuilt, it's the manual once that no one will touch. You can get a used transmission from a forum or a recycling place via ebay/direct. You can also get a fully rebuilt one which will likely run slightly more.

A quick search on ebay and you can get a used one for ~1.3k.

chicane
03-14-2007, 10:25 AM
I am pretty sure that automatics can be rebuilt, it's the manual once that no one will touch. You can get a used transmission from a forum or a recycling place via ebay/direct. You can also get a fully rebuilt one which will likely run slightly more.

A quick search on ebay and you can get a used one for ~1.3k.

I don't think a used one is optimal as there was a design flaw with these older models and you will just find yourself replacing it again in short order. Spending the money for a rebuilt one with the corrected design will give you a better shot at longevity. Please read thread link above.

Dirichlet
03-14-2007, 11:41 AM
I agree w/ chicane

I have the same car (year, model) as you, and my transmission crapped itself at about 85k - it started w/ the reverse gear, and 1st stopped working shortly after that. You should get a new one installed (or do it yourself) - one advantage of getting it installed is that many dealers offer permanent free replacement if your transmission were to die again.

But, I feel your pain - that's a good size hit to the ol' bank account

ChosenGSR
03-14-2007, 12:24 PM
I don't think a used one is optimal as there was a design flaw with these older models and you will just find yourself replacing it again in short order. Spending the money for a rebuilt one with the corrected design will give you a better shot at longevity. Please read thread link above.

Absolutely, I was just naming all the options. It's always better to get a rebuilt one. Too bad it's so pricey for the auto guys, manual ZFs go for 300-500 every day.

ErikT
03-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Whoa, what a scary thread. I just had flashbacks to my time as a VW owner.

Zchild
03-14-2007, 04:43 PM
:icon_blah I have a 00 323i and my manual transmission crapped out at 155,000 miles just after my clutch crapped out at 150,000. I took it to Sports & Imports in Cheaspeake, VA and paid a total of 1622.00 cash on the barrel-head to get a rebuilt transmission. I've now just passed the 220,000 mile mark with no issues concerning my rebuilt tranny. Just my two and a half cents worth. Happy Motoring...
:icon_poke