PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Light!

Zchild
03-12-2007, 09:52 AM
:icon_blah I got a 00 323i with just under 220,000 miles on the clock, I've just added a CAI, Conforti Shark Intake and a new SuperSprint and just began having intermitent coolant light issues. I've checked my coolant level and it's not low, I'm not getting any over-heating issues however sometimes going uphill and downhill I get a coolant light on the dash which comes on and goes off intermitently. I'd appreciate any and all possible causes or conclusions. Thanks in advance. Happy Motoring...
:icon_poke

OwnedbyDuncan
03-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Is you radiator cap tight? Sensor tight and clean? Check the overflow tank and make sure it has no cracks or splits.

Dave Apker

ChosenGSR
03-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Definitely sounds like a sensor issue.

Zchild
03-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Definitely sounds like a sensor issue.
:icon_blah Where pray-tell should I look for the sensor... Thanks in advance.

AG
03-12-2007, 03:12 PM
I believe the coolant level sensor plugs into the bottom of the expansion tank.

Zchild
03-12-2007, 05:14 PM
I believe the coolant level sensor plugs into the bottom of the expansion tank.
:icon_blah Thanks, I'll take a peak in that area to see what I can see, appreciate the information. Happy Motoring...

Zchild
03-23-2007, 05:59 PM
:icon_blah I took my bimmer into FunKtion Auto today in order to get my fluids changed as well as get my coolant flushed and checked. I had the transmission, differential and brakes fluids replaced and bleed. When we removed the engine panel we discovered the radiator has two leaks and the expansion tank has one leak. Therefore I will have to replace both the OEM items. It's been 221,000 miles and a hell of a ride to this point. I believe I really, really got my money's worth. Just my two and a half cents worth. Happy Motoring...

ChosenGSR
03-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Probably the fact that your car is "fairly" newish is what got you to 221k without the radiator going bad. Typically they are only good for 100-120k.