PDA

View Full Version : Service/Repair Manual

wnelms
11-12-2006, 12:05 PM
I am writing to obtain opinions about manuals. While I often opt to have the dealer do my service/repair work, I someday plan to perform small DIY jobs. Should I get a Bentley, Chilton, etc? I will need one (several) for my 94 Acura Legend, 03 BMW 530, and 01 MB ML320.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

mlytle
11-12-2006, 05:06 PM
I am writing to obtain opinions about manuals. While I often opt to have the dealer do my service/repair work, I someday plan to perform small DIY jobs. Should I get a Bentley, Chilton, etc? I will need one (several) for my 94 Acura Legend, 03 BMW 530, and 01 MB ML320.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

get a bentley. don't even bother with chilton or hayes. they aren't in the same league.

marshall

SMOODY
11-20-2006, 12:12 PM
I have used all three over the years. The Chilton manuals are lacking in a lot of areas and in some cases are just plain wrong. The Haynes manuals are not bad for the price. The Bentley manuals are more expensive, but are much more complete then the Chilton or Haynes.

I have the Bentley manuals for both the 525iT and the 330i. I have not had a project yet where the instructions were not in the Bentley manual somewhere.

Scotty
11-22-2006, 07:01 PM
I've purchased a lot of car and bike manuals over the years, but the Bentley stands above the rest. Not only is the content good, but it's printed on decent paper. The last Haynes manual I bought was printed on tissue paper; the ink comes off on my hands like a cheap newspaper.