PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous: self-parking car (lexus)

Dirichlet
10-29-2006, 06:35 PM
I just have to vent (again)...
Am I the only person who finds the idea of a self-parking car, such as the new Lexus, to be completely ridiculous? In my opinion, if you don't know where your car is or how to control it when doing less than one mile per hour, you sure as hell don't belong on the road at 60+ mph. Unbelievable...

Bob
10-29-2006, 06:40 PM
But now she can do her make-up safely while parking, instead of doing it in the fast lane (at 50 mph) Bob

1996 328ti
10-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Am I the only person who finds the idea of a self-parking car, such as the new Lexus, to be completely ridiculous? In my opinion, if you don't know where your car is or how to control it when doing less than one mile per hour, you sure as hell don't belong on the road at 60+ mph. Unbelievable...
There's also adapative cruise control that will brake for you when you get close to the car in front of you. :eek:

BahnBaum
10-29-2006, 08:02 PM
And if you also add in that lane departure warning stuff, you can just about go to sleep while driving.

Alex

madkow70
10-30-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't know.
I'm going to have to somewhat disagree.
I fail to see see the problem with this feature in a car like LS. Isn't it inevitable that cars get more capable (or gimmicky). Just like i-drive was for Bimmers, I think this is a remarkable technological achievement to show Lexus' advancement. and i think it fits in a car like LS very well. now if they offer this feature in a M3, I'd think it's a bit out of place.
I don't think that "I" would opt for that feature myself. then again, I don't think I would opt for LS altogether. but that's just my preference.

mlytle
10-30-2006, 01:01 PM
if stuff like this keeps inept idiots who don't know how to park from hitting my car in the process, bring it on!

the real tech break through will be when they design a system that senses how far away the parked car next to a person is and prevents them from opening the door far enough to bash it....grrrrrrrrr.

SMOODY
10-30-2006, 01:04 PM
I think it will be interesting to see how long it takes before someone files a lawsuit against Lexus because a pedistrian is injured or another car is damaged while the driver was using this device.

While I am quite impressed at the technology required to make all of this work, I would not want this in my car. I don't even like the idea of active steering that BMW is putting on some of the newer cars. The idea that some computer has the capability of overruling my inputs and steering the car is not something I want in anything that I would drive.

pranu
10-30-2006, 01:25 PM
I wonder if these would have been the same arguments heard at the time when cruise control was introduced?

Although I definitely agree with mlytle - wish they would do something about the door dingers!

SMOODY
10-30-2006, 01:52 PM
I wonder if these would have been the same arguments heard at the time when cruise control was introduced?Oh, I am sure that the same arguements have been employed against every major new technological advancement in automobiles (e.g. power steering, automatic transmissions, cruise control, ABS, stability control). Each one of these is present in my daily driver.

But don't I get to draw the line somewhere? :wink:

87325is
10-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Smoody,

you definitely dont want electronic steering(or power steering) on any car you own in any way. It will be on all cars someday though. I used to work on a trw system for gm. Wow the software errors which would lock the wheel It was so bad everyone on the team thought we were going to get subpoenaed in a law suit.

Also most all other electronic gadgets added to cars will not effect emergencies....If you have electric steering and you have to turn the car off when driving what do you do? same with with electronic braking. I cant wait until an alternator dies and then the battery fails.

Most people think electronics are a god send. I think it is making us all dumb. I just hope auto manufactures never touch the mechanical linkage between brakes and steering(they will)

Jared

OwnedbyDuncan
10-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Spinning a car with ABS is scary and unpredictable. Spinning a car with stability control and other electronic drivers aids isnt any fun either. Both feet in just isnt predictable and has no wheel effect. And yes you can spin a car with all the electronic nannies operating. I hate when a car wont rotate.

Other problem with all these electronic aids and nannies is the have little chips that store info which can be used against you. And when out of warranty all these systems are expensive to diagnosis and repair.

I miss tuning Webers.

You should have a DL if you cant parallel park or drive a stick.
Folks need the car to drive itself so theny can check email on their PDA and talk on their cell. Both of these shoudl be capital offenses while driving with summary executions by viglantes allowed and encouraged.

Dave Apker

1996 328ti
10-30-2006, 08:24 PM
I miss tuning Webers.
I bet you miss B&W TV and ARPANET too.

SharkD
11-06-2006, 02:25 PM
I, for one, welcome our new automatic-parallel parking overlords.

AlfaEric
11-06-2006, 02:31 PM
I, for one, welcome our new automatic-parallel parking overlords.
Having seen how often people bump other car's while attempting to parallel park. I welcome them too.

---Eric

OwnedbyDuncan
11-07-2006, 06:17 AM
I bet you miss B&W TV and ARPANET too.

No but tubes and vinyl still sound better.
And its a lot easier to tune Webers then to chase codes.
Dave Apker

BahnBaum
11-12-2006, 02:54 PM
No but tubes and vinyl still sound better.

Well, while that sounds nice and nostalgic, it's just not true.

Alex

chicane
11-12-2006, 03:49 PM

I totally agree with you but BMW will have a working unit within 5 years.
And in case you haven't noticed most drivers on the road today are less than stellar examples of what I would call competant drivers.

madkow70
11-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I think it's pretty neat.
I don't think I would spend my $ to get one myself.
I ABSOLUTELY would want these on every other drivers out there.
However ridiculous it might sound, I think it's a great feature, especially for the people whos about to parallel park next to my car.

OwnedbyDuncan
11-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Well, while that sounds nice and nostalgic, it's just not true.

Alex

A quality turntable playing a LP sounds better than 99.999 of the CD players out there. And I will take a a nice tube amp and preamp over
from local purveyors Conrad Johnson over 99.99 of the transitor stuff out there including CJ's stuff. Most LPs still sound better than most CDs

Only CD players I have heard that come close a turntable are Esoteric and Ayre. And you could buy a Honda Fit for the price and still have some change left over for a nice Rega turntable.

Dave Apker

schosports
12-15-2006, 09:28 AM
I, for one, welcome our new automatic-parallel parking overlords.love the Simpsons ref :)

Well, I was watching last Sunday morning's Today Show and the were doing a live segment demonstrating the new "self-parking". The host, Campbell Brown, tried two times to get it to work but failed on national live TV. She finally ended up parking the car by herself. It didn't look easy to set up either. First, it seems you need a H U G E spot, it will not work on tight spaces. Then, you have to "aim" the rear camera and adjust it's sights. Then you can start the parking. Looked like a huge PITA.

tgmeyer
01-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Remember that most of this type of technology is created for and marketed to the masses. And we all know "The Masses are A$$es".
My humble opinion.
I think the technology is a great idea, as are most. Not all of this type of technology is suitable for everyone hence the option packages. What I disagree with are the safety options like airbags. I remember when shoulder belts were an option and cars came WITH a cigarette lighter. :)
Tom