PDA

View Full Version : With all these Blizzaks for sale...

John in VA
10-12-2006, 09:45 PM
I almost wish I hadn't decided to go to 16" wheels for the snows (from 15s)! With the 16x8 Style 5s it's been suggested I go with 225/50s.
Is there a consensus on winter tires for this area? We need them more for ice traction than snow, and something that's not too harsh for the 99% of the time we're on dry roads during the season. My commute from Leesburg to Purcellville usually finds Rt 7 well-treated, but the melted snow that then refreezes in the evening can be treacherous!

1996 328ti
10-12-2006, 10:01 PM
I almost wish I hadn't decided to go to 16" wheels for the snows (from 15s)! With the 16x8 Style 5s it's been suggested I go with 225/50s.
Is there a consensus on winter tires for this area? We need them more for ice traction than snow, and something that's not too harsh for the 99% of the time we're on dry roads during the season. My commute from Leesburg to Purcellville usually finds Rt 7 well-treated, but the melted snow that then refreezes in the evening can be treacherous!John, Vredstein.
Blizzaks are great in snow. Artic Alpins are great on ice. But for our weather, Vredstein.
There was some discussion below.
http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showthread.php?t=1248

OwnedbyDuncan
10-13-2006, 05:47 AM
What Steven says. Have used Vredstrein's for the last 16 years or so. What sets them apart from other snow tires is they offer dry performance that is equal to most all season performance tires like Yoko Avid H4s' etc.
They do well in fresh snow, old snow and especially deep slush.

Dave Apker and the collies

rodpaine
10-13-2006, 07:13 AM
Is there a consensus on winter tires for this area?
John,
Shelley has run just about every type of tire during her winter drives between Pville and Landsdown, for the past 23 years and the "skinny" Blizzaks have demonstrated to be the best of the lot.
FWIW,
-Rod

John in VA
10-13-2006, 04:17 PM
I just finished up the set of Nokia (no "n" on the end on these 10 y/o vintage NRWs!) and was pleased with the dry ride and wet traction. Closest dealer is Richmond, unless Paul @<hidden> Radial can get them. Their new WR seems impressive, but I'll listen to the V'stein pitch.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/nokian.htm
Jim @<hidden> TireRack said that the best winter tire size for E28 is 205/55R16, but with my 16X8 wheels suggested 225/50R16. I understand tall & skinny was always best, but don't want clearance problems.
And Rod - you always bashed me about the 750 "hubcap" wheels!

rodpaine
10-17-2006, 04:37 AM
snip... And Rod - you always bashed me about the 750 "hubcap" wheels!
John,
Those are fine, as they won't load-up with wet snow and ice, even though they look like dog dishes. :biggrin:
-Rod