PDA

View Full Version : I really irks me when...

Dirichlet
10-11-2006, 09:17 AM
I see a BMW with an M3 or M5 tag that is CLEARLY not an M... why do people bother to de-badge their cars and purchase a fake badge - do they think people won't know the difference... WTF???
(Sorry, I needed to vent - just saw an "M5" that had a single pair of exhuast tips, no side grill, standard 5-series trim, and 17" wheels. M5...BS!)

SMOODY
10-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Was it dark blue with tinted windows? If so, I think I have seen this car also.

I guess this falls into the same category as the folks that put "Turbo" badges and huge spoilers on their cars.

The ones I really love are the folks that graft BMW parts on their econoboxes trying to make everyone think they have a BMW. Click the link below for more horrific things being done to poor helpless cars.

http://www.jimmy540i.com/bmwnightmare.htm

Dirichlet
10-11-2006, 10:17 AM
http://www.jimmy540i.com/bmwnightmare.htm

OMG!!! There's 15 friggin' pages of them!!! That's it... it's official... the world is coming to an end.

And yes, it was a dark blue "M5"... pathetic

1996 328ti
10-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Just got to let it go. ;)

Biggins
10-11-2006, 12:29 PM
OMG!!! There's 15 friggin' pages of them!!! That's it... it's official... the world is coming to an end.

And yes, it was a dark blue "M5"... pathetic
I pray you never see any of the modded "M cars" that I see all the time out here in Hagerstown.

OwnedbyDuncan
10-12-2006, 04:02 AM
Hey my new Honda Element is now an "M" Element "CSL".

Dave Apker and the collies

woodym3
10-12-2006, 08:51 AM
In April of 1987 I took European Delivery of a 325is. During the 10 days I traveled around Germany and Austria I noticed a good number of BMW and Mercedes owners had removed the model designation from their trunk lids, and a good number of the BMW owners were carrying the M emblem on everything from 316s to the 7-series. So the first thing I did upon receiving my car back in the States was remove the 325is emblem and replace it with an ///M (not an ///M3). Yeah, I took some grief for it, but I always looked on it as showing my support for the ///M team - just like someone who wears a Redskin jersey. I don't think they're trying to fool people into thinking they are a Redskin player. As to that 5-series with the M5 emblem, well. . . . .?

Biggins
10-12-2006, 11:56 AM
In April of 1987 I took European Delivery of a 325is. During the 10 days I traveled around Germany and Austria I noticed a good number of BMW and Mercedes owners had removed the model designation from their trunk lids, and a good number of the BMW owners were carrying the M emblem on everything from 316s to the 7-series. So the first thing I did upon receiving my car back in the States was remove the 325is emblem and replace it with an ///M (not an ///M3). Yeah, I took some grief for it, but I always looked on it as showing my support for the ///M team - just like someone who wears a Redskin jersey. I don't think they're trying to fool people into thinking they are a Redskin player. As to that 5-series with the M5 emblem, well. . . . .?
My car is debadged... :mad:

When I lived in France, I regularly saw M cars RE-badged as 316s/318s. It's all a personal preference, but the personal preferences on BMW styling in Hagerstown (generally) are unique to say the very least.

getfast
10-16-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm going to rebadge my car in the opposite direction. Hopefully the public will believe that it's a "real" E36 318i. :biggrin:

(And fewer Honda owners will try to drag-race me as a result.)

Jon

1996 328ti
10-16-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm going to rebadge my car in the opposite direction. Hopefully the public will believe that it's a "real" E36 318i. :biggrin: Then ditch the dual tip exhaust and the M-technic trim and you'll be set.

getfast
10-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Then ditch the dual tip exhaust and the M-technic trim and you'll be set.

And the dished DSII's... and the 160mph speedo... and soforth...

Probably too much work just to end up with a car that looks like more of a sleeper than it already is :biggrin:

Jon

1996 328ti
10-16-2006, 09:14 PM
And the dished DSII's... and the 160mph speedo... and soforth...

Probably too much work just to end up with a car that looks like more of a sleeper than it already is :biggrin:

JonProbably be easier to get a 318i and do a swap. :rolleyes:

4WDrift
10-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Then ditch the dual tip exhaust and the M-technic trim and you'll be set.

I think my badgeless ti with factory Clubsport ///M-technik spoilers/skirts, BBS RCs, lowered, and big 76 mm twin tip cannon shooters (not to mention roll bar and Recaros) pretty much gives it away. :icon_lol:

Rafgar
10-18-2006, 10:34 AM
I'm going to rebadge my car in the opposite direction. Hopefully the public will believe that it's a "real" E36 318i. :biggrin:

(And fewer Honda owners will try to drag-race me as a result.)

Jon

When I got my MX-5, I immediately de-badged it. It's great, few people know what it is.

I left the 328i on my BMW, but nobody believes it. ;)

tgmeyer
10-18-2006, 09:40 PM
This is my take on it. For those of us who know better, we smile and just say internally "Yeah, right. M3." For those do not know they have not missed anyting. Therefore, no one is impressed. My 2 cents.
Tom

1996 328ti
10-18-2006, 09:44 PM
When I got my MX-5, I immediately de-badged it. It's great, few people know what it is.Otherwise people might think it's an M powered X5. :)

BMW0299
10-19-2006, 04:20 PM
I think BMW is the one to blame. I have a stock non-M car that has M logos on the wheels, steering wheel, shift knob and door sills. Go figure...

SharkD
10-19-2006, 10:01 PM
I put a GT40 mkIV data plate on the race car... do you think I've convinced anyone that it's a vintage LeMans racer? (Maybe if I put a faux Gurney bubble on it?) :icon_joy:

http://www.europrints.us/06summit10/Autobahn/59/img_0070_std.jpg

Biggins
10-19-2006, 10:06 PM
I put a GT40 mkIV data plate on the race car... do you think I've convinced anyone that it's a vintage LeMans racer? (Maybe if I put a faux Gurney bubble on it?) :icon_joy:
I saw your car at Summit on Sunday... it looked awesome!!! I like the Navy paint scheme that another guy had too.

SharkD
10-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Chris, you should have come by the SpecE30 quarantine zone and said hi.

Glad the car looks fast. Unfortunately, in a spec series, insufficient negative camber, a stock exhaust and 100lbs of extra weight really are killing my lap times. (Entry speeds being the same, Chris Cobetto and Jens Scott both were able to walk away from me through the apexes and down the straights.)

George "Brain" Perry is a naval aviator (I believe with VFA-105), hence the "Fly Navy" scheme.

---

For the first few months that I owned it, the E24 was simply a "CSi" -- doubtlessly a brazen attempt by the previous owner to cash in on CBS' #1 crime drama.