PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tender/Charger

87325is
09-19-2006, 03:19 PM
I have a e30 which i only drive on the weekends if at all right now. The battery is new but always has a hard time starting the car because i never drive it.

anyone have a good recommendation on a battery charger/tender. I have been told to get deltran but figured i would post here to get more ideas?

Until i order something does anyone know where i could get a battery charged? currently sitting at about 9 volts and will not power the radio!.

Jared

mlytle
09-19-2006, 03:23 PM
I have a e30 which i only drive on the weekends if at all right now. The battery is new but always has a hard time starting the car because i never drive it.

anyone have a good recommendation on a battery charger/tender. I have been told to get deltran but figured i would post here to get more ideas?

Until i order something does anyone know where i could get a battery charged? currently sitting at about 9 volts and will not power the radio!.

Jared

if you just want a full charger, run down to sears and pick one up. they are kind of commodity and are pretty cheap. everyone should have one of these "in stock".

in addition to a full charger, if you want some thing you can leave on your car to trickle charge and condition your battery, get a batteryminder. http://www.batteryweb.com/batteryminder.cfm

marshall

87325is
09-19-2006, 05:38 PM
thanks i will look in to it

AlfaEric
09-20-2006, 07:30 AM
thanks i will look in to it
...or if you don't care about your radio station pre-sets, you could just get a battery cut-off switch. They are only a couple bucks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92688

---Eric

hoyabmw
09-20-2006, 11:05 AM
...or if you don't care about your radio station pre-sets, you could just get a battery cut-off switch. They are only a couple bucks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92688

---Eric

You have a radio in the alfa? Why? :)

Kevin

AlfaEric
09-20-2006, 11:44 AM
You have a radio in the alfa? Why? :)

Kevin

Because I needed something to short-out my turn signals. :rolleyes:

---Eric

mlytle
09-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Because I needed something to short-out my turn signals. :rolleyes:

---Eric

doesn't the horn do that already? :)

AlfaEric
09-20-2006, 12:27 PM
doesn't the horn do that already? :)
Nope (knocks on wood). :biggrin:

---Eric

SMOODY
09-20-2006, 03:40 PM
I thought the radio is there to give you something to listen to while you are waiting for the tow truck. :biggrin:

SharkD
09-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Jared, generally, how long is it sitting before it drains the battery to the point where it won't start? If it takes less than 5-6 weeks, you might want to break out the voltmeter and the Bentley and check the draw on the battery. If it keeps draining the battery, it can ruin the battery's ability to hold a charge, even if it is new.

hoyabmw
09-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Jared, generally, how long is it sitting before it drains the battery to the point where it won't start? If it takes less than 5-6 weeks, you might want to break out the voltmeter and the Bentley and check the draw on the battery. If it keeps draining the battery, it can ruin the battery's ability to hold a charge, even if it is new.

I gave up in my car. In the summer it could sit for 4-5 weeks just fine, but in the winter it took less than 2 weeks to kill the battery. After getting 2 (free) replacements, I bought the BatteryTender (http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=DEL-022-0150-DL) and just keep it hooked up when not driving it. Haven't had any problems since, and the car starts first try every time.

Aftermarket stereos and alarm systems put just enough of a draw on that it will kill the battery eventually, even if you drive it every weekend.

Kevin

John in VA
09-21-2006, 03:44 PM
I got a Battery MINDer from Battery Mart in Winchester - they honored the online price in person, and it's done the job perfectly for the past 3 years.

87325is
09-21-2006, 04:35 PM
i think it has been about two and a half months since i drove the car (had a baby) but even before that i would not drive it enough to get the battery fully charged and think that is the biggest problem. I like the car too much to beat it up as an everyday car. was hoping this "tender" would keep it charged and help the battery last longer

hoyabmw
09-21-2006, 04:47 PM
i think it has been about two and a half months since i drove the car (had a baby) but even before that i would not drive it enough to get the battery fully charged and think that is the biggest problem. I like the car too much to beat it up as an everyday car. was hoping this "tender" would keep it charged and help the battery last longer

It definitely will. Although 2.5 months is a long time to not have any fluids circulating...

87325is
09-21-2006, 05:49 PM
yes i need to work on that too

hoyabmw
09-21-2006, 09:00 PM
yes i need to work on that too

there's an autocross on saturday :icon_twis

87325is
09-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Would love to, but i just don't have enough money. Should have stayed in my old profession. I keep telling my self someday