PDA

View Full Version : SMG locked up

2002M3!
09-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Hey, I'm new to posting, but before I pay to get my 2002 M3 SMG towed to the service station (in shame), I wanted to see if anyone has had this problem before: I went to start the car, but the SMG display showed that it was still in Reverse instead of Neutral (where the shifter was). Since SMGs won't start in gear, I haven't been able to get the car to start all day. I've tried disconnecting the battery, and leaving it alone for awhile, no dice. Does anyone know of a system reset switch or some other way to get the car in neutral.

Thanks,
Matt

SMOODY
09-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Not sure if there is a simple fix for this one. I know that there have been issues with solenoids and software in the SMGs. I have also seen stories online about folks having similar problems that required the SMG control units to be swapped for an updated version.

Your best course of action is probably to have it towed to the dealer, bitch heavily, and hope that they will fix it for free.

Edit: I just remembered one possible quick fix. Some of the cars have had issues with a flaky hood sensor. Basically the car thinks that the hood is open, so the SMG will not go into gear. The fix is to open and forcefully close the hood. I know this is not quite the same issue you are having, but it might be worth a try.

tgmeyer
09-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Rut Roh!
Please tell me this in an anomaly. I have a 2005 330CiC w/ SMG.
Tom

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Replace the SMG relay.

And check your battery.

If those don't do it, you're probably fucked.

bren
09-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Sometimes mine needs a really HARD press on the brake pedal with the ignition on.

Slpnbyu
09-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Rut Roh!
Please tell me this in an anomaly. I have a 2005 330CiC w/ SMG.
Tom

Totally different SMG.

2002M3!
09-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks for everyone who offered some help. I called a BMW mechanic that I know and he had me disconnect the battery, leave the car alone overnight, and try starting it in the morning. The next morning the car started right up. I guess this sort of thing has a tendency to happen when the car is turned off in Reverse instead of in 1st gear. I can't find anything in the manuals that says that this can happen, but I'm definately not going to do it again. Just a heads up to everyone.

jkuper
09-21-2006, 06:35 PM
I never had issues leaving it in reverse. 2 years and 20k miles. I'd say it was left in reverse 90% of the time. :dunno

tgmeyer
09-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Totally different SMG.
Yes, I realize that but....

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-23-2006, 05:27 PM
If that's the case replace the SMG relay - You've gotten a reprieve, but it's almost certainly failing. It's a $5 part and it's easy to do.