View Full Version : E30 Fuel Line Gizmo

09-07-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm replacing the fuel filter on my E30 ('87 with external main pump). When I got underneath, I found a very rusty gizmo downstream from the filter. Looks like some kind of diaphragm valve or regulator ... no wires or hoses attached to it other than the fuel lines.

Bentley doesn't mention it. Anybody know what this is? Can I get rid of it?

09-07-2006, 09:57 PM
It's called a fuel absorber. It absorbs the pulsing of the fuel pump, like an hydrulic acumelator. It can be eliminated but the pump will start to buzz much like an older VW Golf I.

09-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks! I'm not too concerned about additional noise as long as no damage is being done.

09-08-2006, 08:22 AM
No, at this point the damage to you fuel system looks like it's done.

Replace the filter and all the hoses in the area. Your car and your safety will thank you. Raw fuel in the area of exhaust is dangerous.