PDA

View Full Version : mystery connector...

gnhovis
09-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Cleaning up under the hood the other day on the '87 e30 convertible, I noticed an orange connector coming out of a wire bundle that runs along the fender over the wheel well. Anyone recognize what this might be and what's not plugged into it?

http://www.georgeco.org/images/orange_connector.jpg

The arrow below shows the bundle of wires:

http://www.georgeco.org/images/engine_arrow.jpg

M-technik-3
09-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Air intake piece that connects on some e30 for the AFM unit.

And what color is that iC? It's metallic what?

gnhovis
09-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Air intake piece that connects on some e30 for the AFM unit.

And what color is that iC? It's metallic what?

Does it matter that the thing is not connected? What function does that serve?

Royal blue metallic.

Scotty
09-07-2006, 09:55 AM
The positioning is right for a connection to the cruise control servo, which I don't see on your car. If it was there, you would see two throttle cables: one to the accelerator pedal and one that sweeps around the servo, which sits just aft of the ABS unit and driver side headlight.

Doh! I do see the other cable - the servo must be in the shadows.

bmwracr
09-07-2006, 11:38 AM
I've never seen those plugged into anything. Sometimes they will use a harness for several different models. Maybe something they were thinking about adding later..like air bag? I know the bright orange connectors denote airbag. I wouldn't worry about it.

Dan

SharkD
09-07-2006, 12:31 PM
^ I'll echo what Dan Martin said ^

Similar connectors are present on both my '87 325iS and my '87 635CSi... neither is plugged into anything. The pre-88 Cruise Control servo has a single wire harness that it soldered into the unit (a round plug is found under the dash). The AFM uses a black water-right plug.

gnhovis
09-07-2006, 09:22 PM
The pre-88 Cruise Control servo has a single wire harness that it soldered into the unit (a round plug is found under the dash). The AFM uses a black water-right plug.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting the cruise control? It's the only major system now that isn't functional. I've replaced all of the fuses. Any relays or typical failure points to start with for troubleshooting?

Scotty
09-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Checked my car. I've got the same orange connector flopping around where yours is.

Sorry, can't offer any help on the CC.