PDA

View Full Version : Air conditioner?

Zchild
08-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Hello all, I just need to know if this has happened to anyone besides myself. I was driving home yesterday from Loudon County, VA and was coming up 210 South when my air conditioner began blowing out warm air. I notice the cycling was still selected to the maximum rate and turned it off but all the way back to Waldorf my car continued to blow out warm air. I decided later that evening to go to AutoZone to buy some R142 (freon) but on the way over to AutoZone my air conditioner was again functioning properly. I therefore didn't add any freon at this time. I don't know what happened, its never acted this way before. My car is seven years old with 200,500 plus miles and has never blown out warm air until yesterday for approximately 30 minutes. BTW, my bimmer's air conditioner worked exceptionally well all day, today.

chicane
08-04-2006, 07:20 AM
Hello all, I just need to know if this has happened to anyone besides myself. I was driving home yesterday from Loudon County, VA and was coming up 210 South when my air conditioner began blowing out warm air. I notice the cycling was still selected to the maximum rate and turned it off but all the way back to Waldorf my car continued to blow out warm air. I decided later that evening to go to AutoZone to buy some R142 (freon) but on the way over to AutoZone my air conditioner was again functioning properly. I therefore didn't add any freon at this time. I don't know what happened, its never acted this way before. My car is seven years old with 200,500 plus miles and has never blown out warm air until yesterday for approximately 30 minutes. BTW, my bimmer's air conditioner worked exceptionally well all day, today.

What is R142? there is R134 and R12 (freon). And what kind of car do you have. The only thing that I can think of right off the top is the door that directs air between the a/c and the heater core momentarily (for some reason) flipped and started blowing hot air.

Zchild
08-04-2006, 08:22 AM
What is R142? there is R134 and R12 (freon). And what kind of car do you have. The only thing that I can think of right off the top is the door that directs air between the a/c and the heater core momentarily (for some reason) flipped and started blowing hot air.
OK, I'm a little dyslexics from time to time, you're correct it's R134, I've never needed to buy freon before now, therefore I miss-typed the number, thanks for the diagnosis. I'll be running some routine checks to see if I can duplicate the problem before I take it into a shop.

SMOODY
08-04-2006, 09:02 AM
Not sure if this applies to BMWs, but I had a similiar problem with my Chrysler. The A/C would not work reliably, it was especially was bad when the engine was warm/hot (usually not a good time for it to quit). I traced the problem to a pressure switch in the high side of the system. The switch was supposed to tell the compressor clutch when it was time to turn on and off. The problem was that the switch would get stuck in the off position when it was hot and the A/C clutch would not cycle.

When I went to the dealer parts counter, they confirmed my diagnosis even before I finished explaining the problem. Apparently it is a common problem (at least on POS Chrysler products).

I replaced the switch, and all was well (or at least the A/C was working).

Again, I am not sure if this applies to your car, but something worth checking.

Scotty
08-04-2006, 03:30 PM
I happened to be reading the Bentley E30 manual last night. This may not be your car but I'm guessing the design of the A/C system is fairly generic. It states that the A/C compressor will be turned off if pressure in the system is too low. The solution is to add refrigerant.

These cars also disable the compressor if the system is beginning to ice up, but I doubt that would be a problem at this time of year. :P

OwnedbyDuncan
08-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Icing up can be a problem if you are just recircularating the inside air even in temps like we had for the last week. If the recirc button was engaged and you were running the AC for 45 minutes or longer it is possible that it iced up.

Dave Apker

chicane
08-05-2006, 12:52 AM
OK, I'm a little dyslexics from time to time, you're correct it's R134, I've never needed to buy freon before now, therefore I miss-typed the number, thanks for the diagnosis. I'll be running some routine checks to see if I can duplicate the problem before I take it into a shop.

Again, what car do you have?