PDA

View Full Version : Red Light Tickets

Barry
07-05-2006, 02:59 PM
You know those cameras that catch red light runners?
And then you get a ticket in the mail.

The company that makes and sell the cameras tries real hard to keep a low profile.
They don't want anyone to know who they are.
However, the secret is out.
This is them:
http://www.redflex.com.au/

Barry

Barry
07-05-2006, 04:50 PM
There's not just one company. Lots of firms are in this business. Including a small company you may have heard of, Lockheed Martin.

Vic

Maybe, but according to this article it sounded like Redflex has the lion's share of the business:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2006-07-04-redflex-usat_x.htm

Barry

tgmeyer
07-05-2006, 05:09 PM
In all honesty, I don't mind at all. I willfully pay those tickets b/c it incurs no points. I don't blame the manufactures just the jurisdictions that use them.
Think of it this way, do you blame GE for the 2500+ dead soldiers b/c they make jet engines for the planes flown over Iraq and Kosivo? I'm not sure who does make the jet engines but you should understand my point.
TomM

David Hicks
07-06-2006, 02:07 PM
It does get a little shadier when you realize that these camera makers don't typically just sell the units to the jurisdiction, they hand 'em out for a loss and then take a cut of the ticket revenue.

Pete
07-06-2006, 03:08 PM
It does get a little shadier when you realize that these camera makers don't typically just sell the units to the jurisdiction, they hand 'em out for a loss and then take a cut of the ticket revenue.

I believe that this is unconstitutional (personal). I IIRC California set presidence by ruling that no private company should profit from the enforcement of the law, hopefully it catches on elsewhere. I think its a scam since IIRC they pocket 40% of the take. What really stinks it's a huge revenue boom for the jurisdiction as they do nothing and collect money. The company does all the processing work, installation and maintainence.

Got to love big brother!

/rant

Pete

AlfaEric
07-06-2006, 05:08 PM
I believe that this is unconstitutional (personal). I IIRC California set presidence by ruling that no private company should profit from the enforcement of the law, hopefully it catches on elsewhere. I think its a scam since IIRC they pocket 40% of the take. What really stinks it's a huge revenue boom for the jurisdiction as they do nothing and collect money. The company does all the processing work, installation and maintainence.

Got to love big brother!

/rant

Pete
Just wait until Montgomery County installs those automatic speed cameras. :mad:

---Eric