PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for an Insp 1...

pt///m3
07-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi,

Need an inspection 1 done for an 01 E46 M3. I checked out Dan's sticky at the top here, but not sure what the prices / quality was. I have one quote from a local dealer of over $1200 (!?!?) for an inspection 1. This can't be right.

Any suggestions? Curry's? Bavarian in Alexandria? Any thoughts? I'm out in Leesburg.

Thank you,

Paul

Scotty
07-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Are you talking about a pre-purchase inspection or a state inspection?

A pre-purchase inspection at a local repair shop should cost no more than 1 hour of labor - around 90 bucks.

A state inspection can be had at just about any gas station in Maryland, but you didn't say which state you live in.

Slpnbyu
07-03-2006, 04:17 PM
That sounds a bit pricey for Inspection I; $800 would sound a bit better to me.

Keep in mind, the valves need to be checked and adjusted so a dealer may be the better option on this one. Just make sure they do it, and they do it right.

volavet
07-05-2006, 08:33 AM
I am up for inspection I also. Let me know how you make out. Also, it is not a given that you need the valves adjusted, they may be ok as is, so the price would me much much less.

mpassioned
07-05-2006, 09:43 AM
I had my '02 done at Sterling and was pleased. I also had them do it right before the maint warr ran out. I'd suggest calling around. I remember someone telling me they were around 1500.

Slpnbyu
07-05-2006, 02:55 PM
I am up for inspection I also. Let me know how you make out. Also, it is not a given that you need the valves adjusted, they may be ok as is, so the price would me much much less.

True, they may not need to be adjusted, but they must be checked and there is no other way to do that correctly than to pull the top off and check that each valve is within specs.

pt///m3
07-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the info guys. When I get the Inspection 1 service done, I'll post results/ price.

I'll check back in with BMW of Sterling again...

Slpnbyu
07-07-2006, 07:40 AM
Don't forget, you get a BMW CCA discount at the dealerships. The percentage and application varies so be sure to include that in your choice.