PDA

View Full Version : Nice job at the MSP autox

BahnBaum
05-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Smooth event and a fun drive on a grippy lot. Even though it's smallish, there's lots of potential there as you designers get used to it. BTW, we have over 1700 pics that'll get posted soon at www.teamwtf.org.

Oh, almost forgot, nice job with course design John and Ken...

and Doby....

and Bren....

:p

Alex

John V
05-29-2006, 10:39 AM
LOL.

I had a great time, drove like shit, but had a great time.

Wish I could have stayed longer but had to get some GOLF in.

CAB IN BLACK M3
05-29-2006, 12:53 PM
I second that....Had a great time as well.

Jed
05-29-2006, 07:23 PM
It was nice catching up with everyone. Maybe next time I show, I will actually drive. LOL.

JV-I got your text about golf. We definitely need to get a round in.

AlfaEric
05-29-2006, 08:41 PM
It was nice catching up with everyone. Maybe next time I show, I will actually drive. LOL.

JV-I got your text about golf. We definitely need to get a round in.
Thanks for all the help everyone. Especially Jed who helped and didn't even drive. Next time just borrow Pete or Bogdan's car. Everyone else does. :tongue:

---Eric

bren
05-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Oh, almost forgot, nice job with course design John and Ken...
and Doby....
and Bren....

Heh, Doby and I were more like smart ass helpers than designers :p

John V
05-30-2006, 08:33 AM
What, nobody's gonna complain about the course? Where's Kevin when you need him?

BahnBaum
05-30-2006, 09:14 AM
What, nobody's gonna complain about the course? Where's Kevin when you need him?

Who could possibly complain about a Vitkammdobymino designed course?

Alex

John V
05-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Who could possibly complain about a Vitkammdobymino designed course?

Alex

Me. The two boxes at the end of the slalom were really awkward and didn't flow well. Or I was driving them wrong. Maybe both.

BahnBaum
05-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Me. The two boxes at the end of the slalom were really awkward and didn't flow well. Or I was driving them wrong. Maybe both.

The original plan was to continue all the way to the back corner after the first turn after the slalom. I had more problems with the finish then I did with the section you're talking about. And I think that was me, not the design.

The lot appeared to get even grippier as the day wore on and it heated up. People seemed to be going much faster through that finish then they were earlier in the day.

Alex

bren
05-30-2006, 10:42 AM
I didn't like that part either...it was way too tight (pretty much required 1st gear) it might as well have just been a pivot cone. The rest of the course was decent (especially if you had a small car with gobs of torque, cough, superchargedredmcoupe cough.)

Pete
05-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Big thanks to everyone that showed up early to help setup. We had the course setup and timing up in about 25 mins.

Also, thanks to those who helped tear everything down and pack the trailer.

Both where greatly appreciated,

Pete

John V
05-30-2006, 02:11 PM
I didn't like that part either...it was way too tight (pretty much required 1st gear) it might as well have just been a pivot cone. The rest of the course was decent (especially if you had a small car with gobs of torque, cough, superchargedredmcoupe cough.)

Yeah, Neil's car felt great as always, wish I wasn't driving with my head up my derrierre. It's definitely set up for a roadcourse, though - very "tight" for that small of a lot.

John V
05-30-2006, 02:12 PM
The original plan was to continue all the way to the back corner after the first turn after the slalom. I had more problems with the finish then I did with the section you're talking about. And I think that was me, not the design.

I think that would have been better, but there was a bit of miscommunication on my part with Ken so it got changed. I think it wound up okay, but what I had in mind was definitely different.

Now that we're more familiar with the lot we can try some different things.... next year. :(

Bimmer3
05-30-2006, 02:32 PM
The course was so bad, I decided not to show up and drive it. Thanks a lot, guys!

Brian

Bimmer3
05-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Golf? I'd be up for it, if driving and work didn't interfere. I go to the driving range and get into a rhythm, but haven't played in a long, long time. I hit the ball long and wrong on the course, used to be a 7 handicap, back in college.

Brian

Mhyrr
05-30-2006, 03:29 PM
It was obviously built for supercharged M Coupes and nothing else. It also seemed to give an edge to red cars. I didn't like it. :biggrin:

Seriously, good use of the lot, nice little lot for schools and stuff.

vrsixer
05-30-2006, 03:38 PM
BTW, we have over 1700 pics that'll get posted soon at www.teamwtf.org.
Awesome, can't wait to see them...

Neil
05-30-2006, 03:38 PM
I liked the course ALOT, but if John V. drove like sh*t and I failed to equal his time (though I got close), what does that say about my driving ;-(

Neil

joenationwide
05-30-2006, 04:35 PM
I had a great time. I really appreciate getting to do several fun runs afterwards. It gave me the opportunity to see changes I needed to make for next autox.

Phat Ham
05-30-2006, 07:09 PM
I liked the course ALOT, but if John V. drove like sh*t and I failed to equal his time (though I got close), what does that say about my driving ;-(

Neil There needs to be a new "TS" class.

I should've just taken out the timing tent while I was pirouetting my car http://images.bimmerforums.com/smilies/1shifty.gif

BahnBaum
05-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Awesome, can't wait to see them...

Unless you happen to have driven the first half of first heat. :p

Alex

RacerMike
05-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Unless you happen to have driven the first half of first heat. :p

Alex

Damnit!!! :wink:

This is the first BMW event I've done in a long while. Very well put on event; kudos to the club members involved in organizing it.

How long do results usually take to hit the website?

Mike

AlfaEric
05-30-2006, 08:50 PM
...How long do results usually take to hit the website?

Mike
It depends on Adam's schedule. Hopefully they will be up soon.

---Eric

McSteve
05-31-2006, 02:24 PM
It depends on Adam's schedule. Hopefully they will be up soon.

---Eric

New to the BMWCCA AutoX's... where/how do you posts your results?

What class would my 1991 iX with Koni Yellow SA's be?

- McSteve
1966 MGB
1967 MGB GT
1991 BMW 325iX
1996 Chevy S-10
2002 Ford WindStar (for the kids...)

AlfaEric
05-31-2006, 02:33 PM
New to the BMWCCA AutoX's... where/how do you posts your results?

What class would my 1991 iX with Koni Yellow SA's be?

- McSteve
1966 MGB
1967 MGB GT
1991 BMW 325iX
1996 Chevy S-10
2002 Ford WindStar (for the kids...)
Results will go here:
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?results

Classing info is here:
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?classes

---Eric

CHawley
05-31-2006, 02:38 PM
Howdy everyone. Last weekend's autocross in Sykesville was my first BMW autocross. I had fun; thanks to everyone for putting together a nice event.

Here are some pics of the event, guys...

http://sixtyfoot.com/ipw-web/gallery/album23 (http://sixtyfoot.com/ipw-web/gallery/album23)

And a video of my quickest run...

http://sixtyfoot.com/vids/bmw_autox/run_03.wmv (http://sixtyfoot.com/vids/bmw_autox/run_03.wmv) (right-click and save target, please)

Here's a video of the supercharged M Coupe:

http://sixtyfoot.com/vids/mcoupe_1.wmv

I've only uploaded a select few of the videos, at the moment, but I have quite a few more on my hard drive. If any of you guys are interested in checking whether or not I captured a video of your car, feel free to send me a PM.

Again, thanks for a fun day. Looking forward to seeing the results here soon.

etherpool
06-02-2006, 05:58 AM
Great day, great course. Kudos to all involved!!:)

John V
06-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Results?

AlfaEric
06-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Results?
I know Adam was working on them last night. There were a few classing issues that he had to sort out. I'm not sure if he finished them though.

---Eric

hoyabmw
06-02-2006, 09:56 AM

Not much to complain about there. The out and back made me think of rosecroft, and it was just long enough to hit the rev limiter. I didn't really think it was too tight, I just needed tires. And who was complaining about first gear? That's just for lighting up the tires at the start :)

Kevin

CHawley
06-02-2006, 10:09 AM
The out and back made me think of rosecroft, and it was just long enough to hit the rev limiter.
I couldn't disagree more. The vast majority of the autocrosses I've attended at Rosecroft raceway have been technically challenging and far from monotonous. For the most part, I think the PCA guys do an excellent job of utilizing the limited amount of space and undamaged asphalt available at that lot. This is the course layout of the last PCA Potomac autocross at Rosecroft:

http://i4.tinypic.com/104j7yb.jpg

Definitely not just "out and back," in my opinion.

P.S. Just FYI, I'm not complaining about the course layout at all. I enjoyed it. I was just responding to Hoya's comment about Rosecroft.

BahnBaum
06-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Does it still resemble the surface of Mars?

Alex

John V
06-02-2006, 12:31 PM

Alex

I doubt they have any plans to ever repave that lot, especially since their other lots are, uh, gravel and dirt.

CHawley
06-02-2006, 01:46 PM
LOL, sadly... yes. Like I said, though, the course designers always do an excellent job of (somehow) working around the patches of horrible pavement. Actually, the major imperfections in the lot are shown on the course map that I posted. Each of those shaded ovals are pot holes. Hahah.

1996 328ti
06-03-2006, 03:28 PM
How long do results usually take to hit the website?Results are up.
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=15,830,0,0,1,0

woodym3
06-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Great day, great course. Kudos to all involved!!:)
The lot reminded me of Harry Grove Stadium in Frederick - thankfully without the dips and light poles. Dave LaSalle agreed wilth me that "in the old days" we would have had a faster course and used 1/3 the cones. We might not have been able to run two cars at once though.

I ran the Cumberland Airport autocross yesterday. Needed 3rd gear in the M3 three times! Very few BMWs there, but lots of Corvettes, Porsches and seven Cobra replicas.

Biggins
06-04-2006, 06:53 PM
The lot reminded me of Harry Grove Stadium in Frederick - thankfully without the dips and light poles. Dave LaSalle agreed wilth me that "in the old days" we would have had a faster course and used 1/3 the cones. We might not have been able to run two cars at once though.

I ran the Cumberland Airport autocross yesterday. Needed 3rd gear in the M3 three times! Very few BMWs there, but lots of Corvettes, Porsches and seven Cobra replicas.
I wanted to head up there today, but I was still recovering from a long night. I'll be out to the next Cumberland event... it's not often there are events near me out here in Western MD. The only other closest events are the MB Club autoxes.

JimHarris
06-05-2006, 07:11 AM
Results are up.
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=15,830,0,0,1,0

My car was mis-classed.

I actually registered in the X Class, street tire portion. We had a discussion about this in an earlier thread, where I was asking about the MINI classes. I thought it was agreed I could run in the X Class, but tell me if this isn't possible.

Another thing: my car is modified, and if it absolutely MUST be in a MINI class, it has to be in the modded version.

I'm guessing someone looked at my entry and said "Huh?" and didn't know what to do.

Anyhow, if you could fix it, that would be great. And I would prefer the X Class in the future if possible.

Cheers,

Jim

AlfaEric
06-05-2006, 08:17 AM
My car was mis-classed.

I actually registered in the X Class, street tire portion. We had a discussion about this in an earlier thread, where I was asking about the MINI classes. I thought it was agreed I could run in the X Class, but tell me if this isn't possible.

Another thing: my car is modified, and if it absolutely MUST be in a MINI class, it has to be in the modded version.

I'm guessing someone looked at my entry and said "Huh?" and didn't know what to do.

Anyhow, if you could fix it, that would be great. And I would prefer the X Class in the future if possible.

Cheers,

Jim
No problem. I'll have Adam change it back. You were in X Class but Adam goes through and double checks all the classes before posting the results (there are usually several errors). I just sent him an email to let him know.

---Eric

woodym3
06-05-2006, 08:35 AM
My car was mis-classed.

Jim
So Jim, you're saying you'd rather be 1st in a class of 13 cars than 1st in a class of one car? Good Thinking. Congratulations.

AlfaEric
06-05-2006, 08:37 AM
So Jim, you're saying you'd rather be 1st in a class of 13 cars than 1st in a class of one car? Good Thinking. Congratulations.
Didn't he win X Class last season?

---Eric

Neil
06-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Last time I let John V. drive my car....

Neil

1996 328ti
06-05-2006, 12:28 PM
So Jim, you're saying you'd rather be 1st in a class of 13 cars than 1st in a class of one car? Good Thinking. Congratulations.Is there any fun being 1st in a class of one?
I won a trophy for being 2nd or 3rd simply because I showed up at every event.:biggrin:

AlfaEric
06-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Is there any fun being 1st in a class of one?
I won a trophy for being 2nd or 3rd simply because I showed up at every event.:biggrin:
:icon_roll I'll let you know at the end of the season.

---Eric

Neil
06-05-2006, 12:40 PM

Pretty insulting that you were awarded a 2nd or 3rd in a class of one.

Neil

AlfaEric
06-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Pretty insulting that you were awarded a 2nd or 3rd in a class of one.

Neil
It was being generous. I've seen him drive. :tongue: j/k

---Eric

Phat Ham
06-05-2006, 11:19 PM
I won a trophy for being 2nd or 3rd simply because I showed up at every event.:biggrin: 1st in a class of 1 is better than 5th in a class of 5. :frown:

JimHarris
06-06-2006, 01:22 PM
No problem. I'll have Adam change it back. You were in X Class but Adam goes through and double checks all the classes before posting the results (there are usually several errors). I just sent him an email to let him know.

---Eric

Thanks, Eric. I appreciate it.

JimHarris
06-06-2006, 01:30 PM

Hey Woody, they turned the front half of the course into a drag race on Sunday--you might have needed fourth gear for all I know. I was on the rev limiter in the ZO6 at the end of what I guess I have to call the "front straight," meaning I was doing 70 before hauling it down for a 180 degree turnaround. Could have been 80 if I had the gearing--no exageration.

Our colleague Mick did a great job on this part of the course; I was working station 2 to see it close up. It took some nerve to stay in the throttle until the last 100 feet or so, and most people wouldn't/couldn't do it.

Cheers.