PDA

View Full Version : CCA discounts in the DC area

slantsixm3
05-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Lots of dealerships in the area will give you 15% for a CCA membership. Is there any dealerships around that do better? I seem to remember mentions of 1 or 2 that would go 20%.

By the way, there were a couple of west-coast dealers that were discounting heavily to CCA folks, and they have discontinued the practice.
Pacific BMW and Alexander BMW, at least.

It's getting tougher and tougher to get a good deal, geez!

Has the BMW CCA lost it's panache?

Thanks for any input,

- Joel B.

1996 328ti
05-29-2006, 03:36 PM
I think it's time to do my dealer survey again.
Attached is a survey I did a few years ago.
Many dealers mark up their list price then give us a discount.

Russel, Tischer, Northwest and Towson do not markup their prices for CCA members. Tate, Arlington, VOB, Sterling, Fairfax do. In that order! Unless things have changed.

In short Russel and Tischer give us 20% off MSRP.
Tischer ships.

ob325
05-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Arlington has become less friendly and now just gives a 10% discount on parts. They must have needed the extra funds to open their Pentagon City location.

ChosenGSR
05-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Towson gives a 20% discount these days. Owings Mills is still at 15%.

1996 328ti
05-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Towson gives a 20% discount these days.Not really. Their ad still says 10% and their policy is 10%. It all depends who is at the parts counter. ;)

Phat Ham
05-30-2006, 10:33 PM
When I was looking for a battery for my 540 last fall I got the same price from Towson and Fairfax. List was $145 and they both wanted $122, which comes out to about 15% off. Arlington was a good bit higher. They wanted something around $180 and when I asked what the CCA discount price was the grumpy old hippy said "whatever 10% off of that is." But when I buy oil Arlington is cheaper than Fairfax. In April I paid $4.68 per quart at Arlington and they have "list" as $5.20. Last November I bought oil at Fairfax and paid $5.05 where "list" was $5.94.

1996 328ti
05-31-2006, 05:55 AM
Each dealer uses their own matrix to mark up items.
Different parts vary, The may markup consumables more than stuff that doesn't get purchased that often.
But only a few stick to MSRP.

M-technik-3
05-31-2006, 07:14 AM
15% for filters at Arlington. I'm going back to my staple of BMW of W. Springfield Mass. They give me a better rate for most item. $12.80 for an oil filter is nuts. These were $8.65 last when I bought 4 for the year.

schosports
05-31-2006, 10:31 AM
The "true" BMW list mark-up does vary part to part. Some items there is more room to discount than others. Also, BMW has had two dealer price increases in the last few months. Only a few list prices have changed but I'm sure that will change soon.
Another thing to keep in mind, over-the-counter parts and accessories sales only account for maybe 10% of our total sales (our shop accounts for maybe 70% of sales and 20% wholesale) Out of that 10% over-the-counter sales, CCA is almost 1%. What I offer, due to fact I'm a member and I like to help out other local members/friends, is 20% off true BMW list if I can, sometimes more. This is usually reserved to wholesale accounts who spend on average $10,000 to $40,000 + per month.
These are just rough figures for our place. I'm sure it's close to the same at the other area dealers as well.

magnetic1
06-06-2006, 10:11 PM
The "true" BMW list mark-up does vary part to part. Some items there is more room to discount than others. Also, BMW has had two dealer price increases in the last few months. Only a few list prices have changed but I'm sure that will change soon.
Another thing to keep in mind, over-the-counter parts and accessories sales only account for maybe 10% of our total sales (our shop accounts for maybe 70% of sales and 20% wholesale) Out of that 10% over-the-counter sales, CCA is almost 1%. What I offer, due to fact I'm a member and I like to help out other local members/friends, is 20% off true BMW list if I can, sometimes more. This is usually reserved to wholesale accounts who spend on average $10,000 to $40,000 + per month.
These are just rough figures for our place. I'm sure it's close to the same at the other area dealers as well.

I'll 2nd BMW of Towson. They are awesome and provide great customer service and pricing.

KenC
06-13-2006, 08:36 PM
They are great to deal with, give a legit 20% off for CCA members, and ship orders over $100.

I have used them for various part purchases over the last 5yrs and have found them always friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

MOTO
10-25-2006, 09:18 AM
I needed a few parts for my BMW's, I only called 2 places (FFX & Tischer) but the breakdown was as follows:

FFX (minus 10%) Tischer (already discounted)
E30 Oil Filter $10.90 $5.76
E30 Air Filter $14.66 $9.36
TB-AMS Boot $37.25 $20.20
Rubber Boot $15 $8.64
E30 Tail Light $144 $96
Hood Insignia $21 $9.24

Total $218.53 (after discount) $149.20 (after discount)

Big difference, plus Tischer had almost all parts in stock, FFX had to order most of them (they had the filters & insignia)

ZHPCB
11-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Was just over at Tischer, I was able to get an oil filter for my E46 330i for 7.12, and also got the Castrol 5w30 synthetic for only 5.06 a quart. Last I remember, I think I paid 5.25/qt for Mobil1 for my other car from Walmart. Garth Williams at the desk was really playing up the whole CCA membership, saying how great they treat members...Nice!

1996 328ti
11-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Nice to see this get get bumped.
Tischer always treats me well and seem to appreciate car club members.
They thankl me for the business and I thank them for giving us 20% off MSRP. Not a bad deal. And whenever I need something special ordered or return something even if it's my fault, the never have a problem with it.
They will ship also.

SMOODY
11-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Nice to see this get get bumped.
Tischer always treats me well and seem to appreciate car club members.
They thankl me for the business and I thank them for giving us 20% off MSRP. Not a bad deal. And whenever I need something special ordered or return something even if it's my fault, the never have a problem with it.
They will ship also.Maybe they are Star Trek fans.

Rules of Acquisition Number

51 - "Reward anyone who adds to your profits so they will continue to do so."
57 - "Good customers are as rare as Latinum, Treasure them."

Zchild
11-20-2006, 02:42 PM
:cool: Thanks guy for the thread, I need to get some minor roof parts for my bimmer and I'll definitely be going over to Tischer BMW to purchase the parts. BMW of Arlington just ddoesn't seem to be as concerned with supporting the CCA, just my opinion.
:icon_blah

David Hicks
11-20-2006, 04:06 PM
I wish there was a way to determine BMW's actual MSRP for parts. The 10/15/20% off rule is basically worthless when the "list" price is some made up number of the parts manager's choosing. A customer is never going to know if he's getting a reasonable (notice I didn't say "best") deal, and that outweighs any convenience or sense of loyalty to a particular dealer.

And I think Bill provides us with a great service at Towson, but driving to Ballmer is less convenient for me than ordering online and waiting 4-5 days for the stuff to arrive.

1996 328ti
11-20-2006, 04:27 PM
I wish there was a way to determine BMW's actual MSRP for parts. The 10/15/20% off rule is basically worthless when the "list" price is some made up number of the parts manager's choosing. A customer is never going to know if he's getting a reasonable (notice I didn't say "best") deal, and that outweighs any convenience or sense of loyalty to a particular dealer.

And I think Bill provides us with a great service at Towson, but driving to Ballmer is less convenient for me than ordering online and waiting 4-5 days for the stuff to arrive.
I did a survey a few years ago.
Some jack up MSRP and then give us a discount. :rolleyes:
http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showpost.php?p=13628&postcount=2
It's probably time to do another survey.

David Hicks
11-20-2006, 04:32 PM
I did a survey a few years ago.
Some jack up MSRP and then give us a discount. :rolleyes:
http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showpost.php?p=13628&postcount=2
It's probably time to do another survey.
Yeah, I was just looking at that before I posted. Seems out of date, as I've never seen anything from Fairfax that was more expensive than at Arlington. Fairfax's typical list is lower than Arlington and gives a 15% discount rather 10%. Plus Fairfax tends to have more parts in stock. (Having to order a part from the dealer and wait for it sort of defeats the purpose.)

chicane
11-21-2006, 04:15 PM
I think my dealer beats even Tischer.
Compare Tischer
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214336
With Crown Auto:
http://parts.crownauto.com/

The best prices I have seen so far. But these are there on-line price only and they are better than the CCA discount.

1996 328ti
11-21-2006, 04:56 PM
There is no doubt that some BMW dealers will beat or exceed local dealership prices. But since we are talking about over the counter parts, it is irrelevant to compare anyone outside to the DC/Balto area.

woodym3
11-21-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm sure Richmond is closer to some of our members than any of the Maryland dearlerships.

1996 328ti
11-21-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm sure Richmond is closer to some of our members than any of the Maryland dearlerships.You're right. I forgot about that. I believe our region goes down to Fredericksburg.

chicane
11-22-2006, 07:31 AM
There is no doubt that some BMW dealers will beat or exceed local dealership prices. But since we are talking about over the counter parts, it is irrelevant to compare anyone outside to the DC/Balto area.

Since when is getting cheaper prices for the same goods irrelevant? Besides as I said these are on-line prices only so it doesn't matter if you are in DC, Virginia, or California you can order on-line and save some money.

1996 328ti
11-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Since when is getting cheaper prices for the same goods irrelevant? Besides as I said these are on-line prices only so it doesn't matter if you are in DC, Virginia, or California you can order on-line and save some money.Because we have been comparing over the counter prices in the DC area. That's all.

chicane
11-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Because we have been comparing over the counter prices in the DC area. That's all.
I'll tell ya, while buying over the counter (with your CCA discount) is fine if you run out of oil or need a part for a repair to get you car running, your best bet is to scope out prices from dealers on-line for your routine and scheduled maintenance.

Buy oil by the case, spark plugs, parts for inspection I and II (I saved a bundle on my inspection II by buying those parts ahead of time on-line) and do it yourself. I mean the bottom line is saving money right?

Locksmythe
11-22-2006, 10:15 AM
There are also some bulky items that would cost more in shipping charges to buy online than to pay a few dollars more in price and sales tax locally.

chicane
11-22-2006, 12:05 PM
There are also some bulky items that would cost more in shipping charges to buy online than to pay a few dollars more in price and sales tax locally.

Maybe an engine. And we aren't talking a few dollars either. One example, I bought a shim set for my M3; List around $360, Parts counter with discount around $310, on-line with these guys around $250. Shipping along with a bunch of other stuff (big box - $10).

You make the call. Do you guys want to save money or are you just looking for reasons to go to the parts counter?

Zchild
11-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Maybe an engine. And we aren't talking a few dollars either. One example, I bought a shim set for my M3; List around $360, Parts counter with discount around $310, on-line with these guys around $250. Shipping along with a bunch of other stuff (big box - $10).

You make the call. Do you guys want to save money or are you just looking for reasons to go to the parts counter?
:icon_cool While I agree its mostly about the money, isn't it aslo about fostering relationships between the local club and the vendors in the region. I would think that some are more aware than others of the buying power of NCC club members and try to accomodate us so we don't have to do our business on-line. I shop on-line as much as the next guy, however I get a greater since of satisfaction when I can go into a local vendor and get the part I need immediately and not have to wait ofr UPS/FedEx and pay increases in order to expedite my shipping. I believe we have the power to leverage competitive pricing in our grasp if we use it correctly. Just my two and a half cents worth. Happy Motoring...
:icon_blah

Locksmythe
11-22-2006, 03:28 PM
The one item I was looking for cost more than 80% of MSRP at Crown. I checked on style 116 wheels.

woodym3
11-22-2006, 08:59 PM
You're right. I forgot about that. I believe our region goes down to Fredericksburg.
Steven!! PCA has regions. BMWCCA has chapters. haha

BMW0299
11-23-2006, 11:07 AM

If you look at page 128 in the last Roundel, you'll see a list of all the REGIONS BMW CCA has. haha

Locksmythe
11-28-2006, 03:46 PM
FYI, I did contact Tischer regarding ordering new wheels and got a better price than BMWWheels.com. Of course I'll order locally and drive the hour or three to pick them up. I'll need break-in miles anyway.

woodym3
11-29-2006, 10:11 AM

If you look at page 128 in the last Roundel, you'll see a list of all the REGIONS BMW CCA has. haha
Oops! You're right. And our region goes all the way to Key West, Florida!

1996 328ti
11-29-2006, 01:13 PM
The term region was used to represent our geographic area.
Our region is comprised of Maryland, eastern West Virginia, northern Virginia.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna.html)–noun

2.Usually, regions. the vast or indefinite entirety of a space or area, or something compared to one: the regions of the firmament; the regions of the mind.
3.a part of the earth's surface (land or sea) of considerable and usually indefinite extent: a tropical region.
4.a district without respect to boundaries or extent: a charming region in Connecticut.
6.a large indefinite area or range of something specified; sphere: a region of authority.

woodym3
11-29-2006, 02:33 PM
I should have said our Region - in caps.

Locksmythe
12-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Was up in rockville for work today so I stopped by Tischer and collected a few accessories while I was on that side of the Beltway. Got the last few things I needed at a great price. Thanks for the advice here, folks.