PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on repair shops in the Bowie area

ak96ss
04-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Anyone have a recommendation for shops in the Bowie to Annapolis area?

Long story short, the car was up on a flatbed last week and the operator neglected to secure the rear. When he slammed on the brakes to keep from smacking the idiot who slammed on HIS brakes in front of us, my 1991 318is slid into the winch.

Initially it didn't look too bad, a new spoiler and lip...

Once I got the valance off, however, I found that there has been structural damage. I need to find a shop that is competent working with these things and can tell me what needs to be replaced and what can be repaired.

Here is a pic of the parts that got munched - basically, the crossmember and upper piece on the driver's side.

http://home.comcast.net/~ak96ss/images/Tweaked_Front.jpg

Barry
04-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Anyone have a recommendation for shops in the Bowie to Annapolis area?
Long story short, the car was up on a flatbed last week and the operator neglected to secure the rear. When he slammed on the brakes to keep from smacking the idiot who slammed on HIS brakes in front of us, my 1991 318is slid into the winch.
Initially it didn't look too bad, a new spoiler and lip...
Once I got the valance off, however, I found that there has been structural damage. I need to find a shop that is competent working with these things and can tell me what needs to be replaced and what can be repaired.
Here is a pic of the parts that got munched - basically, the crossmember and upper piece on the driver's side.
http://home.comcast.net/~ak96ss/images/Tweaked_Front.jpg

If Springfield VA is not too out of your way, I would recommend Springfield Auto Body.
They have the skills to do the repairs and their work is very high quality.
If you go there, tell them i referred you.
Barry

SharkD
04-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Specifically, ask Steve Kapuschansky, Alex May, Victor Hall, Han Ah-Sue or Stephen Dubovsky this question on the www.SpecE30.com board. They should have a good idea of E30-friendly body shops in your area.

ak96ss
04-25-2006, 06:44 AM
Cool, thanks guys.

I spoke with Elite Autobody in Crofton, they came in at $1400 to replace those two pieces and respray the hood, fenders, valance and spoiler. So with parts and trim pieces and such, the tow truck driver managed to do just over $2k in damage in no time at all.

{sigh}

I had just 'finished' it - new suspension, new clutch, new stereo...

TMB_540i
04-25-2006, 02:50 PM
I have had good experiences with Elite Auto Body in Crofton. They have reshot sections of my truck, painted and installed my rear lip spoiler, and have done a front clip for a friend's Toyota Celica GTS that had an encounter with a deer. Their repair work is virtually undetectable and they take their time to complete the repair (don't be in a hurry).