PDA

View Full Version : Does an X-Brace install on an E36 M3 allow it to remain in "stock" class?

dougmoney
04-16-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm just curious, seeing as it was available on the LTW M3, so is it considered an "optional" component that would allow me to remain in the stock class, along with a cat-back exhaust system?

1996 328ti
04-16-2006, 05:57 PM
I'm just curious, seeing as it was available on the LTW M3, so is it considered an "optional" component that would allow me to remain in the stock class, along with a cat-back exhaust system?
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?classes

Are asking about a M3 or M3 LTW?
Either way it looks like you would be in Prepared because of the exhaust.

Prepared
This class is a combination class. It is intended to allow people with mostly stock setups to run race tires, or non-stock setups to run street tires. As such, it is similar to a combination of the SCCA Stock and Street Touring rules. If a car is eligible for SCCA Stock classes (with R-Compounds) or ST classes, then it can run here (without R-Compound tires.) Or, if it is has no more than the following mods, it can run here using R-Compounds:

* Any wheels
* Any tires (including R-Compounds)
* Any strut tower brace or cross-brace
* Any cat-back exhaust
* Any air filter & air box
* Any carb
* Any brake pads & rotors
* Any spoilers or aerodynamic aids
* Any seats or steering wheel
* Any aftermarket chip

dougmoney
04-16-2006, 06:08 PM
What about without the exhaust? And an SSK would put it in SM, correct?

1996 328ti
04-16-2006, 06:10 PM
What about without the exhaust? And an SSK would put it in SM, correct?Stock exhaust keeps you in showroom. Don't know about the SSK. I'll let someone with a bit more authority answer that one.

dougmoney
04-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Would a stock M3 with just the X-Brace remain in showroom? I'm just trying to plan out my path of modification, I know I'm going to be doing an x-brace first.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-17-2006, 06:42 AM
Would a stock M3 with just the X-Brace remain in showroom? I'm just trying to plan out my path of modification, I know I'm going to be doing an x-brace first.
No.

AlfaEric
04-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Stock exhaust keeps you in showroom. Don't know about the SSK. I'll let someone with a bit more authority answer that one.
Short Shifters will be allowed, as they do not improve performance.

---Eric

Biggins
04-17-2006, 04:37 PM
X-brace puts you in SCCA Street Prepared class and as far as I know in NCC Prepared class as well. I know for sure because that's the only "mod" I have on my car.

Pete
04-21-2006, 12:45 PM
X brace will put you in to prepared.

Pete

dougmoney
04-21-2006, 11:27 PM
Coilovers would put me in modified?

1996 328ti
04-22-2006, 06:06 AM
Yes.

Modified
This class is a catch all for all other modifications.

BahnBaum
04-22-2006, 08:14 AM
Yes.

Modified
This class is a catch all for all other modifications.

Don't think that's correct:

Prepared
This class is a combination class. It is intended to allow people with mostly stock setups to run race tires, or non-stock setups to run street tires. As such, it is similar to a combination of the SCCA Stock and Street Touring rules. If a car is eligible for SCCA Stock classes (with R-Compounds) or ST classes, then it can run here (without R-Compound tires.)

ST classes allow coilovers, so the way I read this coilovers are ok in prepared, as long you're not using R comps.

Alex

1996 328ti
04-22-2006, 08:24 AM
I thought properly adjusted coil overs would be more of an advantage over R comps. I guess I should come out to an autocross before I attempt to answer questions. :icon_blah
Maybe I'll just ban myself from this section. :)

BahnBaum
04-22-2006, 01:02 PM
I thought properly adjusted coil overs would be more of an advantage over R comps. I guess I should come out to an autocross before I attempt to answer questions. :icon_blah
Maybe I'll just ban myself from this section. :)

Well, if you're correct some of our own autox organizers are improperly classes. :p

Alex

AlfaEric
04-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Well, if you're correct some of our own autox organizers are improperly classes. :p

Alex
:icon_wave

Alex is right. Coilovers are fine in prepared as long as you aren't also running R-comps.

---Eric

Pete
04-23-2006, 09:01 AM

Depending on your modifications coilovers will put you into prepared (If you don't run R comp tires). Modified if you do.

Pete