PDA

View Full Version : New e38 Spec Racing Series

SMOODY
03-14-2006, 08:27 AM
I was happy to read in the der Bayerische that fans of large car racing will finally get their chance.

Does anyone know were I can find a copy of the new rules? I need to figure out how much can be removed from the car. I mean the seats alone must be worth 200 pounds each.

Now I don't have a spare e38, so I need to round one up. Any of you have one lying around that you are not using? Getting ready for April 1 event doesn't leave much time. :wink:

1996 328ti
03-14-2006, 08:59 AM
It should be interesting series.

BMW CCA Club Racing Debuts New Spec Series
By David Hicks

In response to the growing clamor within the racing community for a budget-conscious race series, BMW CCA Club Racing officials have announced plans to include a Spec E38 racing series for the 2006 season. “The NASA Spec e30 series seems to be gaining popularity, as are other spec series around the country, so we thought an e38 spec class would a move that would appeal to BMW club members,” said club racing chairman David McIntyre in a press release in January.

Similar to other spec racing classes, the Spec e38 series will feature similar cars with minimal modifications done mostly for safety and track-worthiness rather than performance. As in the other spec classes, performance modifications are strictly limited. While they would never be able to compete with the high-dollar cars in other race classes, competition should be tight within the Spec e38 class since the cars will be so similarly equipped.

For those unfamiliar with BMW chassis codes, e38 refers to 7-series cars built for the 1995 through 2001 model years. There were both V8 and V12 powered cars. Because of the large disparity in power between the two engines, there will be a V8 sub-class and a V12 sub-class. 740iL and 750iL models with longer wheelbases will be permitted in both classes, and will provide the added utility of plenty of room to carry wheels and tires to the track.

All cars will be required to have a six-point roll cage and fire suppression systems. Stiffer H&R race springs and Bilstein sport shocks will also be mandatory for competition. Certain weight reduction measures will be permitted with minimum weights met for each class.

Reaction to the announcement has been largely positive. “This is a perfect move for [BMW] club racing, and long-overdue, if you ask me”, this according to National Capital Region 2004 HPDE Champion Jed Carmona. “BMW owners are typically very wealthy, and most of us have at least one spare e38 sitting around after upgrading to e65s. Also, since all the e38s have automatic transmissions, there won’t be any tedious shifting on the track. This is a perfect way to put these cars to good use. And with targets for building the car under $25,000, I won’t even have to sell my rental duplex to finance it.”

Opening day for the season will be at Virginia International Raceway on April 1.

David Hicks
03-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Smoody, I think I have a spare 740i somewhere in the back of the warehouse you can have. I can't remember the color though. I'll check later today. ;)

SMOODY
03-14-2006, 10:31 AM
I am not sure I care about the color, just so the engine is strong and the tires are fat.

Although, one with a wet bar would be nice for the after race tailgate party :wink:

SharkD
03-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Man, you SpecE38 guys get all the breaks -- you can run any tire you want, rather than getting stuck with Toyos.

If I could, I'd be running these sweet non-DOT legal tires from Firestone. (http://www.firestoneag.com/news_article.asp?article=1257)

As for that tedious shifting -- once I'm up to speed, I avoid it and just use the cruise control -- that lets me devote much more attention to my Alpine ICE/DVD/NAV. BTW, anyone found a good Playstation 2 roll-cage mount?

Biggins
03-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Can we run in SCCA ITE as well?