PDA

View Full Version : Best place to have body work done???

2000_328ci
02-19-2006, 01:06 PM
I am having a large deal of body stuff painted on my car (sideskirts, front bumper, mirrors, rear bumper add on, etc, etc) and need the BEST body shop in the area.. I tried to get a good deal when I put on my spoiler and ended up with a wavy POS on the back of my car... So, this time I am willing to suck up the additional costs to ensure a great job. Any suggestions on where to go?

wolfgang20878
02-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Where are you? In Rockville, MD area, I think the best is supposed to be Master Crafters on Westmore Road in Rockville, at least for collision repair, not sure about custom work.

OwnedbyDuncan
02-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Wagonwerk in Alexandria Va but if you have time and want to save money you need to hurry. Check out Edison High School in Alexandria. Their body shop program might be able to help you out. Students get graded on their work etc.

Dave Apker

2000_328ci
02-21-2006, 07:37 PM
:) I am thinking of going to wagon werks as everyone speaks so highly of them. Thanks for the advice.

Barry
02-25-2006, 01:21 PM
I am having a large deal of body stuff painted on my car (sideskirts, front bumper, mirrors, rear bumper add on, etc, etc) and need the BEST body shop in the area.. I tried to get a good deal when I put on my spoiler and ended up with a wavy POS on the back of my car... So, this time I am willing to suck up the additional costs to ensure a great job. Any suggestions on where to go?

Sorry for joining this thread late, but I recommend Springfield Auto Body.
They do top quality work.

More than a few members of this Forum can attest to that.

Be sure to tell them I referred you. Call (703) 569-5055 and ask for either Jim Scott (Owner) or Jim Amery (Shop Manager).
Barry

2000_328ci
02-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Barry,
I went to Wagon Work in Arlington which is considered to be one fo the top in the area (if not the top of the top). Anyway, they quoted me at 2500 bucks for

m3 mirrors, m3 bumper, front cf add on, sideskirts, and a rear add on...

What do you think your place would want for that type of work?

Barry
02-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Barry,
I went to Wagon Work in Arlington which is considered to be one fo the top in the area (if not the top of the top). Anyway, they quoted me at 2500 bucks for

I know very little about body work, so I wouldn't want to hazard a guess.
But, if I were you, I would want to get a 2nd estimate.
Barry

jbshin
03-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Barry,

I went to Springfield Autobody based on Barry's numerous recommendations here to have my 03 M5 front bumper and driver's rearview mirror hoursing repainted. I was quoted just about $500. I also got an estimate from the bodyshop that BMW of Arlington uses in Alexandria (near Wagon Werks) and it came out to about $800 including a new front bumper. My hood has quite a bit of stone chips so I am thinking of having that repainted as well, but concerned about the paint match after the work is done.

Does anyone know of a good clear bra installer in the area?

Thanks.

John.

jbshin
05-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Well, I was just rear-ended by a guy with State Farm policy and they flat out said that they do not work with Wagon Werk and Wagon Werk admitted to having their customer's typically paying 20 to 30% out of pocket with State Farm.

Springfield Autobody is authorized and will take care of everythig b/w State Farm, though. I am concerned about them matching LeMans Blue on mine, but I may end up going there after all.

Barry
05-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Well, I was just rear-ended by a guy with State Farm policy and they flat out said that they do not work with Wagon Werk and Wagon Werk admitted to having their customer's typically paying 20 to 30% out of pocket with State Farm.
Springfield Autobody is authorized and will take care of everythig b/w State Farm, though. I am concerned about them matching LeMans Blue on mine, but I may end up going there after all.

Sorry to hear about your accident.
If you do take your car to Springfield Auto Body be sure to talk only to Jim Scott (Owner) or Jim Amery (Shop Manager) and be sure to tell them I referred you. They will do an amazing job matching the paint. You won't be sorry.
Barry

glindsay
05-04-2006, 07:21 AM
In reference to 'concerned about them matching LeMans Blue', Springfield Auto Body did a wonderfull job on my Lemans Blue '02 M5. In my case, the repair did not involve any sheet metal and they painted/clear coated a new bumper cover seperately and then installed such. The color match and every other aspect of the job was excellent.

Greg

tgmeyer
05-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Any suggestions for a body shop in the Bowie/Annapolis area?
Wife hit an immovable object in her Z4.
Thanks. Tom

asindc
11-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Where are you? In Rockville, MD area, I think the best is supposed to be Master Crafters on Westmore Road in Rockville, at least for collision repair, not sure about custom work.

I second this recommendation. Just had them repair my 03 M3 rear bumper with park distance control sensors. Was rear-ended at red light. Very professional, very friendly, and great communication. I would not hesitate to use their services again.

NovaBimmer
12-17-2007, 07:10 AM
ugh...avoid wagonworks 1 and 2 like the plague, unless You want to overpay for the work and have it take way too long

Swooper
03-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Sorry for joining this thread late, but I recommend Springfield Auto Body.
They do top quality work.

More than a few members of this Forum can attest to that.

Be sure to tell them I referred you. Call (703) 569-5055 and ask for either Jim Scott (Owner) or Jim Amery (Shop Manager).
Barry

I was just checking out the website for Springfield Auto Body. It looks like they have a new manager. Are they still owned by the same people. Has anyone used them recently? If so, what are your thoughts? Thanks.

Barry
03-04-2008, 04:53 PM
I was just checking out the website for Springfield Auto Body. It looks like they have a new manager. Are they still owned by the same people. Has anyone used them recently? If so, what are your thoughts? Thanks.

Yes, they have a new Manager, but the owner is the same guy.
It's Jim Scott.
I recommend that you talk to him.
He knows me well and he tries to take care of BMW CCA members.

My wife got a new 328xi and our son-in-law hit it.
We took the car to Jim Scott and he made it look like new.
So, yeah, we used him after he got the new Manager, and the quality of work is still outstanding.
Barry

Swooper
03-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Yes, they have a new Manager, but the owner is the same guy.
It's Jim Scott.
I recommend that you talk to him.
He knows me well and he tries to take care of BMW CCA members.

My wife got a new 328xi and our son-in-law hit it.
We took the car to Jim Scott and he made it look like new.
So, yeah, we used him after he got the new Manager, and the quality of work is still outstanding.
Barry

Thanks for the quick response. I just called Springfield Auto Body and will be stopping by tomorrow for an estimate. I'll call them back tomorrow to make sure Jim will be there.

Barry
03-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I just called Springfield Auto Body and will be stopping by tomorrow for an estimate. I'll call them back tomorrow to make sure Jim will be there.

Please tell Jim I said "Hi."

Barry

eoverly
03-07-2008, 01:57 PM
I have not had good luck with Springfield Auto Body. I have gone there three times in the last two years and there has always been an issue with the work. The last time they had to repaint the hood twice- it came out splotchy the first time.

I then tried Wagon Work (3406 Jeff Davis Hwy). The first time things came out well- it was just a scratch on the bumper. The second time they actually damaged my car- they scratched a wheel, which they repaired, and I had to make several trips back before they got the headlight fixed right.

I regret to say I'm not happy with either place.

Wildcats64
04-11-2008, 09:59 AM
I called Springfield Auto Body last week on Thursday or Friday & left a message for them to call me back. A week later & they still haven't called me. I went over to Rosslyn Auto Body near Lake Barcroft in Virginia yesterday & got a estimate of $1631.00 on the spot for my 1998 540i. We have done business with them before & have been pleased with the work. They started in 1937 in Rosslyn & are family-owned & operated. I was thinking about getting a second estimate from Wagonwork Collison to see how they stand in price comparison. However after reading the previous negative reply, I am now wondering if it is even worth it since they are much further from my Annandale residence. I know what kind of work Rosslyn does, but am getting mixed vibes on Wagonwork from the different posted replies.

Barry
04-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I called Springfield Auto Body last week on Thursday or Friday & left a message for them to call me back. A week later & they still haven't called me. I went over to Rosslyn Auto Body near Lake Barcroft in Virginia yesterday & got a estimate of $1631.00 on the spot for my 1998 540i. We have done business with them before & have been pleased with the work. They started in 1937 in Rosslyn & are family-owned & operated. I was thinking about getting a second estimate from Wagonwork Collison to see how they stand in price comparison. However after reading the previous negative reply, I am now wondering if it is even worth it since they are much further from my Annandale residence. I know what kind of work Rosslyn does, but am getting mixed vibes on Wagonwork from the different posted replies.

You should try Springfield Auto Body again, but this time speak to Jim Scott and tell him Barry referred you.
Good Luck,
Barry

Swooper
05-13-2008, 08:27 PM
I took my car to Springfield Autobody to have some deep scratches fixed. They replaced the panel and the paint seems to match well. When I picked up the car, I noticed some slight imperfections. They wetsanded them out and it looks pretty good now.

However, I also found a new scratch on the car that I'm pretty sure was not on the car before. It is on the hood, right in my field of view, so I probably would have seen it before I dropped the car off and it was deep enough to catch a fingernail. They wetsanded that too and it looks much better, but you can still see it.

Barry
05-14-2008, 06:35 AM
I took my car to Springfield Autobody to have some deep scratches fixed. They replaced the panel and the paint seems to match well. When I picked up the car, I noticed some slight imperfections. They wetsanded them out and it looks pretty good now.

However, I also found a new scratch on the car that I'm pretty sure was not on the car before. It is on the hood, right in my field of view, so I probably would have seen it before I dropped the car off and it was deep enough to catch a fingernail. They wetsanded that too and it looks much better, but you can still see it.

Call Jim Scott there. He's the owner and tell him I referred you to him.
He'll take care of any problems you have.
Barry

Vetconstruction
05-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Wagonwerk gets my vote, I used them in the past and found that they did a fantastic job for the money.

mlytle
11-22-2008, 10:12 AM
hey Barry,
Jim still the POC at SAB? wife's 325it just got hit from behind........

marshall

Barry
11-22-2008, 01:11 PM
hey Barry,
Jim still the POC at SAB? wife's 325it just got hit from behind........

marshall

Yep.
Good Luck!
Barry

Car54
11-22-2008, 11:06 PM
I dealt with Jeff at SAB...good guy.

Nick325xiT 5spd
11-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Wagonwork was great a decade ago. These days, they are decent, but no better than that. And you get the privilege of paying way more and waiting far longer. In particular, their paintwork isn't NEARLY as good as it used to be.

Barry
11-23-2008, 03:40 AM
I dealt with Jeff at SAB...good guy.

Jeff is who you should talk to if Jim Scott is not available.
Jeff is a good guy.
Just tell them I referred you.
Barry

mlytle
11-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Jeff is who you should talk to if Jim Scott is not available.
Jeff is a good guy.
Just tell them I referred you.
Barry

aye, thanks. worked with jim last time when the race car went in. sent jeff an email yesterday and will call tomorrow to set up appt.

Barry
11-24-2008, 06:37 AM
aye, thanks. worked with jim last time when the race car went in. sent jeff an email yesterday and will call tomorrow to set up appt.

PLS let me know how it goes.
Barry

mlytle
12-08-2008, 08:14 PM
good news. got her 2002 325it back from sab on friday. they got her in immediately and completed the car on sked. and it looks great. can't even tell the rear hatch and bumper were smooshed. paint match is perfect. jeff and tom were great to deal with!

still highly recommend springfield auto body. they are two for two with me.

marshall

Car54
12-09-2008, 12:28 AM
glad to hear you were happy and we can still recommend SAB.

eoverly
12-10-2008, 04:03 PM
I wonder if it depends on which person is doing the work. As I mentioned earlier, I'm 0 for 3 at Springfield Auto Body.

The Man
01-10-2009, 04:45 PM
good news. got her 2002 325it back from sab on friday. they got her in immediately and completed the car on sked. and it looks great. can't even tell the rear hatch and bumper were smooshed. paint match is perfect. jeff and tom were great to deal with!

still highly recommend springfield auto body. they are two for two with me.

marshall

What was you final bill? how much did you expect it to cost? Any info would be great.

~Blake

jbshin
01-12-2009, 11:51 AM
I wonder if it depends on which person is doing the work. As I mentioned earlier, I'm 0 for 3 at Springfield Auto Body.

I also did not have a very good experience there. I ended up taking my car to Euro Pro's, who found and corrected issues from the repair work done at Springfield Auto Body. Obviously, insurance company had to inspect the work and authorize and Euro Pro's documented and worked with the insurance to resolve everything.

I had to return to Springfield Auto Body to correct number of paint issue (the color matched very well, but there were so much dust and imperfections, they ended up wet sanding most of the car. While wet sanding does make things look better, it also reduces the thickness of the paint.

John

ray_yogi
01-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Got a few dents and scratches on my 04' 325. Any good body shop near Frederick or Rockville?

wolfgang20878
01-31-2009, 09:54 PM
See 2nd message in thread: Master Crafters on Westmore Road in Rockville.

eoverly
10-18-2009, 11:09 PM
I've recently used D&V Autobody in Dulles twice and they are my favorite bodyshop now (over Springfield Auto Body and Wagonworks). Two perfect jobs. They were recommended to me by High Tech Auto. Their staff has been there for many years. dandvautobody.com

Ed Overly

asindc
04-19-2010, 12:25 PM
After having used Master Crafters before with good results, I recently went to Springfield Auto Body for front right fender, front spoiler, and rear left bumper work, along with minor touch-up. The fender, spoiler, and bumper work has been done with good results, but I have to follow-up to get the minor touch-up work done, as they did not get to those items. I will follow-up with a more detailed report later after the touch-up work is done.

Uber-Goober
04-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Master Crafters did this repaint, which I just picked up. Kenny, Romero and their guys just do absolutely great work, and I could not be happier. It's missing some trim as I'm letting the paint fully cure, but it is just immaculate.

danzee
05-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Has anyone used Elite in Jessup lately?
I have used them for years with great satisfaction, but my last experience was several years ago and things can change. Shawn now runs the shop (Tony is gone) and I'm sure there has been shop labor turnover.

Any other recommendations closer to Annapolis than SAB?

tiger3p
06-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Hello,

New here. I recently bought a 2007 328xi and the bumper was hit on the parking lot. I live in Germantown and was wondering if you know a place that can match the paint perfectly with a new bumper. The damage was a vertical scratch and a deep indentation at the bottom. I went to a body shop here locally in my area and was quoted $630 to refinish and paint the bumper.

Thank you.

usna92
06-17-2010, 01:39 PM
I would not recommend elite. Took my camry there (insurance recommended) ended up going back 4 times to have things corrected.

pseto
06-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Hello,

New here. I recently bought a 2007 328xi and the bumper was hit on the parking lot. I live in Germantown and was wondering if you know a place that can match the paint perfectly with a new bumper. The damage was a vertical scratch and a deep indentation at the bottom. I went to a body shop here locally in my area and was quoted $630 to refinish and paint the bumper.

Thank you.

that quote sounds like what most would charge for rear bumper work. as long as the place mixes their paint using up-to-date software, they'll just need your paint code. the more skilled body shops can even finish the paint (i.e. fade it, make it more dull, etc) to match the rest of the body panels

gesoffen
11-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Looks like Wagonworks can be taken off of the recommended list as they've been sold.
http://www.examiner.com/city-buzz-in-washington-dc/alexandria-based-wagonwork-collision-center-sold-to-pohanka-collision-centers

A few recent reviews, most notably one on yelp, indicates that a once stellar body shop is no more....

FLi GLi
04-16-2012, 10:43 AM
I know I'm bring up an old thread, however...

I need to have some body work done. Most of the posts in this thread are 3-4 yrs old. What's the best place currently for body work?

I'm located in Herndon, but willing to go anywhere in NoVA for quality work. It will be an insurance claim.

Cheers,
FLi

Barry
04-16-2012, 12:19 PM
I know I'm bring up an old thread, however...

I need to have some body work done. Most of the posts in this thread are 3-4 yrs old. What's the best place currently for body work?

I'm located in Herndon, but willing to go anywhere in NoVA for quality work. It will be an insurance claim.

Cheers,
FLi

I still recommend Springfield Auto Body.
Talk to Jim Scott there. He is the owner, and tell him I referred you.
Barry

bimmernupe
04-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Euro Pros in Gaithersburg. Their shop is always filled with high end cars. The two brothers whom own the shop used to be the body and paint guys at WagonWerks. They are always the first shop mentioned on different forums. Yes I traveled all the way to Gaithersburg from Springfield/Burke to have my last incident fixed. Happy as a church mouse in a cheese factory.
I tried Springfield Auto Body and have had problems with getting them to address issues with their workmanship. For example, under paint and clear you can see sanding marks. They had to remove my passenger side rear window, now it makes noise when you hit certain speeds. Paint peeling. Remind me to show you on the Spring Tour.
I have heard good things about D&V in Sterling. Of course hearing good things and actual workmanship do not usually meet at the same intersection.

FLi GLi
04-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Bimmernupe,

I ended up going with D&V. I read many good reviews on them both on Yelp and various automotive forums. Yes, there were a few bad reviews, but they were pretty minor things and few in between. So far, I've been quite pleased with the customer service at D&V. Much better than the two other places I went to get estimates before the insurance allowed me to go to D&V. The lack of customer service in just about every industry is a truly pitiful reflection on the state of our society, but I digress. The proof in the pudding will be the end product from D&V. We'll see...

Too many bad stories about the current incarnation of WagonWerks. Good to know where the talent from WW ended up. I'll keep that in mind.

I’d like to see your bodywork issues at the Tour.

To be honest, the incessant pimping of Springfield Auto Body by Barry turned me off. Come on, man, 7 times in 49 (now 50) posts saying “...tell them I referred you”. Obviously he has some sort of a vested interest in Springfield, which makes me wonder how objective his recommendations are. My .02.

FLi

cssnms
05-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Euro Pros in Gaithersburg. They shop is alway s filled with high end cars. The two brother whom own the shop used to be the body and paint guys at WagonWerks. They are always the first shop mentioned on different forums. Yes I traveled all the way to Gaithersburg from Springfield/Burke to have my last incident fixed. Happy as a church mouse in a cheese factory.
I tried Springfield Auto Body and have had issues with getting them to address issue with their workmanship. For example, under paint and clear you can see sanding marks. They had to remove my passenger side rear window, now it makes noise when you hit certain speeds. Paint peeling. Remind me to show you on the Spring Tour.
I have heard good things about D&V in Sterling. Of course hearing good things and actual workmanship do not usually meet at the same intersection.

They are one of if the nothe best in the DC Metro area. They repared both my Lexus cars as well as my BMW. The only shop I trust with my cars.

Harryn
08-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Hey guys, sorry to resurrect this thread, but do Euro Pros give anything special in terms of prices for people trying to do restoration work on their cars since insurance won't be involved? I have two cars that need to be painted. My 318 needs to have minor body work done on the rear passenger side quarter panel and repaired. My M3 just needs to have front and rear bumpers, the hood, fender, and nose panel painted.

Ron Dade
08-10-2013, 11:49 AM
They are one of if the nothe best in the DC Metro area. They repared both my Lexus cars as well as my BMW. The only shop I trust with my cars.

They should be good as they have to be the most expensive in the area. I had a small non-insurance repair and had quotes ranging from $350 - $500 and thought I'd run up and check them out yesterday. This is a small dent Their best price was $1220. So, either they didn't want to be bothered with such a small job or they were charging me the same they quote for an insurance job prior to any negotiation with them. Forget about it! Love my car, but I'm not a chump, either.