PDA

View Full Version : I Want A 1!

bimmer_fahrer
01-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Need I say anything else? I've liked this car ever since seeing the first spy shots and fell in love with it when I saw it on display at Spa in July/Aug '04.

Anyone else want one? How can we get some momentum together to get BMW NA to import this car? Everytime I read an article about it coming to the US, the arrival seems to keep getting pushed out further. :( Let's get this model over on this side of the pond!

SharkD
01-29-2006, 12:23 PM
But, don't you know... You may think you want a 1 series, you may say you want a 1 series, but BMW/NA knows that americans don't buy hatchbacks, so you're obviously uninformed about your own opinion. ;)

In the same vein, no matter how many letters and emails they get telling them otherwise, BMW/NA is quite certain that Americans don't want a fuel-efficient, high-torque, compact and powerful Turbo-Diesel or an inline-4.

1996 328ti
01-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Last year I drove the 120td on GT4. I had a ball with it.

woodym3
01-30-2006, 09:21 AM
One of our chapter members got it from the horse's mouth last week - we will be getting a 1-series car that enthusiasts will like. And it will not be the hatchback.

bimmer_fahrer
01-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Woody,

Thanks for the update. Did the horse indicate if we're going to see this vehicle this decade? I need to start saving my pennies. :biggrin:

bren
01-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Woody,

Thanks for the update. Did the horse indicate if we're going to see this vehicle this decade? I need to start saving my pennies. :biggrin:
IIRC, 2009'ish

Biggins
01-30-2006, 03:28 PM
Need I say anything else? I've liked this car ever since seeing the first spy shots and fell in love with it when I saw it on display at Spa in July/Aug '04.

Anyone else want one? How can we get some momentum together to get BMW NA to import this car? Everytime I read an article about it coming to the US, the arrival seems to keep getting pushed out further. :( Let's get this model over on this side of the pond!
I've wanted one since the first time I saw them at the Paris Auto Show in the fall of 2004. It'd be the perfect replacement for my 318.

SMOODY
01-31-2006, 12:25 PM
I was in England earlier this month. The 1 series appears to be selling well there and I got to look at several of them both moving and parked. They look better in person then they do in the pictures. Very nice car.

It looked like there was ample room to carry 4 adults for short trips and the cargo area was sufficient for a running your normal errands. It would make a great commuter car and weekend toy.

Most of the ones I saw were either the 120i or the 120d with manual transmissions. I only saw a few that were the 125i variety. Who could blame them when regular unleaded is 90 pence a liter (almost $6.50 a gallon), ouch.