PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio

wnelms
01-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Does anyone know if Sirrius is the only OEM satellite radio option for our beloved Bimmers? I prefer the programming provided by XM but do not like to idea, look, or sound quality of using an "external" FM modulator. Any thoughts?

Barry
01-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Does anyone know if Sirrius is the only OEM satellite radio option for our beloved Bimmers? I prefer the programming provided by XM but do not like to idea, look, or sound quality of using an "external" FM modulator. Any thoughts?

A couple of years ago I got satellite for my wife's BMW and I was told that only Sirius is compatible with the BMW radios. FWIW, she absolutely loves it.
Barry

Roy
01-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Barry, I just installed an XM Roady in my 1999 E46 sedan. I purchased a special interface from Crutchfield that plugs directly into the connectors for the CD player. You have to disconnect the CD player that's in the trunk, but with XM I wouldn't use the CD player anyway. I also tapped into the heated seat power wire, so the XM is now powered on and off by the key, plus I can use the cigar lighter plug for other accessories if I want. The only wires that are visible come off the cradle in one group and disappear into the dash.

So the output off the XM receiver runs back to the trunk (under the console and the carpet), to the interface and into the CD connectors (there are 2).

Give Crutchfield a call. 1-800-555-9507.

-Roy

Barry
01-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Barry, I just installed an XM Roady in my 1999 E46 sedan. I purchased a special interface from Crutchfield that plugs directly into the connectors for the CD player. You have to disconnect the CD player that's in the trunk, but with XM I wouldn't use the CD player anyway. I also tapped into the heated seat power wire, so the XM is now powered on and off by the key, plus I can use the cigar lighter plug for other accessories if I want. The only wires that are visible come off the cradle in one group and disappear into the dash.
So the output off the XM receiver runs back to the trunk (under the console and the carpet), to the interface and into the CD connectors (there are 2).
Give Crutchfield a call. 1-800-555-9507.
-Roy

Roy,
That's good info, and thanks.
My M3 doesn't have satellite and that's OK for me. My wife loves her Sirius, and I know she's not going to want to change.
Barry

wnelms
01-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Roy, do you know if your XM setup voids the factory warranty. I have the extended 6/100K package and would rather not give the dealer any reason to reject future service. I have clocked 42K miles to-date on my 2003 e39.

Thanks for providing a possible solution.

jhm5
01-09-2006, 12:34 PM
If you have a 2003 or newer satellite-ready BMW radio, there are some XM units that will work directly thru your stock radio just like Siruis.
Check myradiostore.com or xm411.com and look for XM Direct units with Blitzsafe adapters for several BMW models. It attaches thru the existing CD changer harness in the trunk.

If you are at all DIY capable, it's a pretty easy job. There should be no warranty issue whatever, tho your dealer may try to scare you into believing that. I know people who use these, me included, with no problems... and great listening pleasure.

wnelms
01-10-2006, 10:39 AM
If you have a 2003 or newer satellite-ready BMW radio, there are some XM units that will work directly thru your stock radio just like Siruis.
Check myradiostore.com or xm411.com and look for XM Direct units with Blitzsafe adapters for several BMW models. It attaches thru the existing CD changer harness in the trunk.

If you are at all DIY capable, it's a pretty easy job. There should be no warranty issue whatever, tho your dealer may try to scare you into believing that. I know people who use these, me included, with no problems... and great listening pleasure.

Thanks jhm5...I will look into it!

schosports
01-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Sirius is the only offical satellite that BMW offers. For warranty, if the aftermarket parts causes the fault you pay the repair. Example, if you install XM and you get a radio noise and the newly installed aftermarket receiver is the cause, you're paying. If you install XM and you have an exhaust rattle, BMW will pay. Aftermarket parts don't completely void the factory warranty, but if they directly cause an issue, don't expect BMW to pay.
Here's the breakdown for the E39 Sirius parts:

-9/2002 build and on, without navigation, must have single in-dash CD

-Receiver: 65-12-0-398-140, $275 BMW list, $220 CCA cost from me
-antenna: 84-11-0-390-239, $60 BMW list, $48. CCA cost
-install kit: 84-11-0-141-975, $60 BMW list, $48 CCA cost
-Y cable that allows you to run the six disc and Sirius together:
84-11-0-150-526, $15.10 BMW list, $12.08 CCA cost