PDA

View Full Version : Online registration [April]

1996 328ti
12-30-2005, 10:37 PM
In an effort to lesson the burden of our registrar, we have decided to go with an online pre-registration form. The advantage of this is so our register doesn't have to manually enter 60 applications into our database nor decipher handwriting. The advantage to students will be the ability to keep their form updated for when they do registrar. There will still be a registration period where the form will need to be mailed in along with a photo copy of your membership card, drivers license and insurance card.

So please test the form at
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/forum/newthread.php?do=hpde
Post your comments here.
Remember, this is only a test.

bren
12-31-2005, 11:13 AM
What are you looking for in the "experience" field? Yes/No? Number of times you've been there?

1996 328ti
12-31-2005, 12:22 PM
What are you looking for in the "experience" field? Yes/No? Number of times you've been there?Good question.
I'm looking for numeric repsonses only. If none, use 0. The default will be zero for any new users from this point on.

1996 328ti
12-31-2005, 01:24 PM
What are you looking for in the "experience" field? Yes/No? Number of times you've been there?
I'm looking for a numeric response. I'll update the form to make it clearer.
Thanks. Dan has me working on more suggestions.

TMB_540i
01-03-2006, 06:15 PM
The electronic form looks pretty straight forward and consistent with the hard copy application. I would suggest that you list an example or two in the "Experience (Days) Other" section. (i.e., Skip Barber - Limerock, CT - 2 Day Driving, Audi Club - VIR/Full - 2 Day). I look forward to using the process for the DEs this year.

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Fix the damned phone format thing.

1996 328ti
01-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Fix the damned phone format thing.Didn't like having to format the phone number? I guess it's not that important. At least this way we will have valid, readable email addresses for everyone.

Also added an example for other experience.

1996 328ti
01-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Anyone else up for testing this out? Fill out the form and submit.
I need to be sure everyone will understand what to do before moving on to the next step with this system. Also need to be sure it is working on all browsers. I don't want to find out there is a problem when we actually start to use it.

1996 328ti
01-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Not quite ready for prime time.Oh I know.
It's difficult when I'm looking at my page with everything filled out.
I'll make the edit button more obvious with clearer instructions added.

tgmeyer
01-06-2006, 09:26 AM
I like how it grabs your name and member number from your login. I added zero for the Jefferson and Shenandoah Circuits but it showed "Required" . Is "0" not a valid entry?
Tom

tgmeyer
01-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Got an e-mail and PM w/ the correct information. Cool!

pranu
01-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Yup - Except for the non obvious Edit button - everything else seems great. Does it really need TWO required phone number fields?

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Didn't like having to format the phone number? I guess it's not that important. At least this way we will have valid, readable email addresses for everyone.

Also added an example for other experience.
I *HATE* putting the parentheses in. 301-555-1212. Ten times better. :p

1996 328ti
01-06-2006, 01:25 PM
I like how it grabs your name and memeber number from your login. I added zero for the Jefferson and Shenandoah Circuits but it showed "Required" . Is "0" not a valid entry?
Tom0 should be valid. 0-999 should be valid. You sure you didn't use the letter O? When I edited my own data I went to edit the registration form instead of clicking on edit. I can see how that is confusing. Eventually I'd like to be able to edit the form and submit on the same form.
Yup - Except for the non obvious Edit button - everything else seems great. Does it really need TWO required phone number fields?Yes. It helps when we are trying to verify people. I'm trying to recreate the paper form we have been using. After the first school we'll see what is or is not needed.

TMB_540i
01-07-2006, 10:13 AM
I filled inthe form completely but when I hit submit it gives me the following error:
Thomas, you need to answer every question!
You may have forgot to select which school you wish to pre-register for. Go back.
You can edit your registration form here.

I do not see anything missing and I don't see any way of selecting which school I am pre-registering for. Am I missing something???

TMB_540i
01-07-2006, 10:16 AM
The field for "Experience - Other" needs to allow for more characters otherwise this area will limit folks and require very creative abbreviations and make it difficult to interpret.

1996 328ti
01-07-2006, 02:50 PM
I filled inthe form completely but when I hit submit it gives me the following error:
Thomas, you need to answer every question!
You may have forgot to select which school you wish to pre-register for. Go back.
You can edit your registration form here.

I do not see anything missing and I don't see any way of selecting which school I am pre-registering for. Am I missing something???You might have not clicked the school date. I've taken comments from others and going to go back to the drawing board. I think I can make some changes that will make things easier.

mike b
01-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Looks good to me Steve. I didn't have any problem with it. And considering I'm polish...

TMB_540i
01-08-2006, 12:35 AM
I resubmitted and you are correct, I used the link from the original post and not through the web site home page. The link from the original post never inquires about the event date. Works great from the home page and I successfully received my e-mail confirmation. I was able to put lots of information in the Experience - Other field as well. Looks great.

1996 328ti
01-08-2006, 12:42 AM
I resubmitted and you are correct, I used the link from the original post and not through the web site home page. The link from the original post never inquires about the event date. Works great from the home page and I successfully received my e-mail confirmation. I was able to put lots of information in the Experience - Other field as well. Looks great.By the home page you mean http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=135,554,0,0,1,0?
I don't intend on using that one.
I removed the event date for now from the registration form that is in the forum. You will notice that I broke down the edit page into two. One for membership figuring we might use that information elsewhere and one for driving school information. I put edit buttons at the bottom of each section.

I will be adding made test event dates. Somewhere easier to find. :)

TMB_540i
01-08-2006, 09:16 AM
I resubmitted with the proper link and that works as well. I like the two editable areas. Thanks for putting the time and effort into this online form.

1996 328ti
01-08-2006, 10:11 PM
OK, I made some changes.
I removed the left column that was previously used for additional profile options. Not necessary for the form. I also tried to clean it up a bit. I haven't seen ot on IE6 yet.

I'm guessing it might not be necessary to select the school. That can be checked off on the emailed form. Or I can make it so the form is only good for the next upcoming school.

For missing information there will be a yellow box with the word required.

Keep those comments coming. I'd like to have this phase wrapped up by the end of the month.

pranu
01-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Looks nice. Definitely cleaner.

Minor things...
1. for experience I notice you changed it to require none as opposed to 0 days. While it does accept 0 instead of none - when I get back to the information screen after submitting my edits it shows me that the fields are required. I guess if required you might want to not accept the information and prevent the submit - much like how you show a message when a user doesnt put in his last name on the first section edit. Also maybe you might want to equate a 0 to none and accept both?

2. T-Shirt size doesnt seem to be populate on a re-edit.

3. The other experience though not required shows up in yellow if I have nothing in the field.

4. I would move the check box for new address to the form on which one edits the address - else it is quite easy to forget the check box since it stands out alone on the page.

5. ** VERY MINOR ** - The second section edit button has the < / a > after a line break - causes for the little line after the image to show the link.

1996 328ti
01-08-2006, 11:50 PM
1. for experience I notice you changed it to require none as opposed to 0 days. While it does accept 0 instead of none - when I get back to the information screen after submitting my edits it shows me that the fields are required. I guess if required you might want to not accept the information and prevent the submit - much like how you show a message when a user doesnt put in his last name on the first section edit. Also maybe you might want to equate a 0 to none and accept both?Not sure if this is a bug or feature. I use a conditional statement to tell the box to be yellow. I guess the experience field considers a 0 to be false. I'll have to experiment with that.
Fixed.
2. T-Shirt size doesnt seem to be populate on a re-edit.I know. I may just use another field to show the size. I may not be able to get that to work.
3. The other experience though not required shows up in yellow if I have nothing in the field.Think that is confusing? I wanted to show that you could use that field as necessary. That's why it does not say required.
4. I would move the check box for new address to the form on which one edits the address - else it is quite easy to forget the check box since it stands out alone on the page. Easy enough.
Done.
5. ** VERY MINOR ** - The second section edit button has the < / a > after a line break - causes for the little line after the image to show the link.I've looked for it using 3 browsers on two platforms. I don't see it.

1996 328ti
01-09-2006, 08:30 AM
1. for experience I notice you changed it to require none as opposed to 0 days. While it does accept 0 instead of none - when I get back to the information screen after submitting my edits it shows me that the fields are required. I guess if required you might want to not accept the information and prevent the submit - much like how you show a message when a user doesnt put in his last name on the first section edit. Also maybe you might want to equate a 0 to none and accept both?Thinking about this more, the none came from the old registration form. I guess they wanted it clear that 0 experience was none. Since this is going into a database and the number of schools are calculated, it makes no sense to use the word none. I will change it to if no experience, use 0. I can set the default to 0 for new users.

pranu
01-09-2006, 11:02 AM
I've looked for it using 3 browsers on two platforms. I don't see it.

Seems to be fixed with your last edit. :)

This situation occurs with IE when you have A tag around an image but the closing tag - the < / a > - going on a new line after the IMG tag.

for instance if you have
< a href ="http : // www. nccbmwcca. org (http://www. nccbmwcca. org) " > < img src = " edit.gif" >
< / a >

you will notice the slight line after the gif. But on the other hand if you have
< a href ="http : // www. google . com " > < img src = " edit.gif" >< / a >

then it looks just fine.

pranu
01-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Thinking about this more, the none came from the old registration form. I guess they wanted it clear that 0 experience was none. Since this is going into a database and the number of schools are calculated, it makes no sense to use the word none. I will change it to if no experience, use 0. I can set the default to 0 for new users.

I guess if you are going to do calculations on this - you might want to force it to be a number - it does accept even none or any other alphanumeric combination right now.

pranu
01-09-2006, 11:10 AM
I know. I may just use another field to show the size. I may not be able to get that to work.

I am not sure I understand the reason behind this problem (since I dont know anything about your setup). I am guessing that you have a database call happening on the page - since you are populating the information for the other stuff (or its a form post from the previous page) - it should be fairly straightforward. But anyway it doesn't matter since either the user can re-check the correct one or alternately if the user leaves it alone - the system still retains the old value.

Think that is confusing? I wanted to show that you could use that field as necessary. That's why it does not say required.

No it isnt confusing - on my screen it just looks like a random yellow line at the bottom of everything. It doesnt convey anything at a glance. Absolutely no issues with it.

1996 328ti
01-09-2006, 01:22 PM
The problem with the < /a > was because I left out a quote in one of the td classes. Should have been "alt1" instead of "alt1. I found that problem in a few places places.

The t-shirt thing is a simple fix. I'll get it straightened out in a few days.
Just need to do a little more research.

I will add a check to be sure there is a number used for experience.
Write now it will accept none or numbers.

Thanks.

1996 328ti
01-12-2006, 11:01 PM
2. T-Shirt size doesnt seem to be populate on a re-edit.
Fixed.

Also added a drop down menu for chapter.
It is necessary that the spelling be uniform.

Now all I need are some dates for the schools so I can continue.

1996 328ti
01-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Testing continues.
I'd like another week of testing. Then we will have a week of pre-registration, then registration will open. Those dates are still to be determined.

The schedule had to be pushed up because of the early April school. :(

1996 328ti
02-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Everything seems to be running fairly smooth.
Membership numbers must be as the appear on your membership card.
It's 2-6 digits or non-member.
Some begin with an A or LIFE. CCA no longer use F or M.
Anything else is rejected.

Each person registering needs to have their own username. Please.

The address to mail the form is in the confirmation email.

scpera
02-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Steven,

Two (hopefully simple) questions:

1. When I pre-registered for the April HSS and DS, my membership number was accepted with an M before the numbers, even though you just indicated that it would not be accepted. Do I need to do anything special when I mail my form in on the 6th?

2. I should be down as having worked a day at SP last year (HSS). How much should I write the check for to cover the two days?

Thanks,

Steve

1996 328ti
02-03-2006, 07:11 PM
1. When I pre-registered for the April HSS and DS, my membership number was accepted with an M before the numbers, even though you just indicated that it would not be accepted. Do I need to do anything special when I mail my form in on the 6th?
Not a problem. Just cross out the M on your form. I figured out how to require the membership number in a particular format just yesterday.

2. I should be down as having worked a day at SP last year (HSS). How much should I write the check for to cover the two days?
PM sent.

mike b
02-06-2006, 04:12 AM
Steve, I tried to submit my pre-reg form but it won't take supposedly because
I didn't answer every question. The only thing I can see wrong is that it doesn't have NCC under chapter in the membership section. In that field it shows 'required' in yellow. I can not change this when editing the form. What's up with that?

I should also have worker credits left. How do I find out how many so I know how much to remit when submitting the form?

Mike

1996 328ti
02-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Steve, I tried to submit my pre-reg form but it won't take supposedly because
I didn't answer every question. The only thing I can see wrong is that it doesn't have NCC under chapter in the membership section. In that field it shows 'required' in yellow. I can not change this when editing the form. What's up with that?

I should also have worker credits left. How do I find out how many so I know how much to remit when submitting the form?

Mike
For Chapter use National Capital. That is used to keep it consistent.
Email Steve Lowry at pitout @<hidden> hotmail.com regarding the credits.

mike b
02-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Steve,

I figured out how to change it. I was overlooking the edit button in the membership block. Duh! Thanks for the response.

Mike

bren
02-08-2006, 09:30 PM
So where is the info on how to cancel your registration?

1996 328ti
02-08-2006, 11:11 PM
So where is the info on how to cancel your registration?
If you already sent in your application and money send Doug an email requesting your application to be cancelled. NCCDSRegistrar @<hidden> mac.com. If you have not sent in your money, don't worry about it.