PDA

View Full Version : What helmet to buy?

Itsa328
11-28-2005, 04:19 PM
I want to get into autox. I watched the event the club just hosted at Ripken Stadium and I am pumped for the upcoming season.

I know I need a helmet, are there any restrictions as to what kind I need? I plan to use my daily driver in the events so I would imagine that I would be in the stock classes with my e36 328is. There are no performance modifications whatsoever, yet...

www.ridegear.com (http://www.ridegear.com) has some helmets for ~$100 but I don't want to buy something I can't use. Any ideas? I want to go cheap so there is room in the budget for tires too.

Thanks,
Bill

1996 328ti
11-28-2005, 08:05 PM
You really need to try own helmets in person.
If you are only going to do autocross you can use an M rated helmet.
If you think you might be doing driving schools, I'd suggest a SA helmet.

M and SA are Snell Foundation ratings.

OwnedbyDuncan
11-28-2005, 09:08 PM
It is your brain. Buy the best helmet you think your brain is worth. Stuff happens. Brains injuries are serious. Take it from someone who has fallen on their head way too many times. How else do you explain me getting a
a crazy collie puppy with winter starting!

Dave Apker

AlfaEric
11-28-2005, 09:39 PM
It is your brain. Buy the best helmet you think your brain is worth....
I don't think they will let me autocross with a paper mache helmet. :tongue:

Here is an old thread with some helmet recommendations:
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80

---Eric

dougmoney
11-30-2005, 11:17 PM
Good thread, I'm in the same boat you're in.

jkuper
12-01-2005, 07:09 PM
Get the one that fits. Do not mail order a helmet.

AlfaEric
12-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Get the one that fits. Do not mail order a helmet.
I ordered mine over the internet. Of course, I borrowed a friend's and tried it on first. :wink:

---Eric

SharkD
12-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Take a Saturday morning drive out to Dulles and try on a bunch of helmets at O.G. Racing (www.ogracing.com). Different helmet manufacturers fit better on some shapes of heads than others, e.g. I've got a "Bell" head, whereas a friend of mine has more of a "Simpson" head.

And after you've picked up a good, comfortable helmet, you can mosey over to All-Sports Grand Prix (www.allsportsgp.com) and take it for a test run (just don't crash test it).

SMOODY
12-02-2005, 08:24 AM
I second Dan's recommendation. Go out to OG and try on a variety of helmets. The folks out there are very helpful. I went in thinking I was going to buy a particular Bell helmet, but after trying on a number of helmets. I found that the Simpson helmets fit me the best.

OwnedbyDuncan
12-02-2005, 09:04 AM
If enough club members are interested someone can organize a club buy with OG for helmets especially if folks want a SA 05.

I am looking for a good buy on bambi bones for the pups.

Dave Apker

AlfaEric
12-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Does anyone know if OG sells M rated helmets?

---Eric

woodym3
12-02-2005, 09:31 AM
They do not. If you really want an M helmet, Coleman PowerSports in Falls Church has a big selection.

AlfaEric
12-02-2005, 10:00 AM
They do not. If you really want an M helmet, Coleman PowerSports in Falls Church has a big selection.
Thanks Woody.

---Eric