PDA

View Full Version : where to buy 19 mm hex head socket?

beckley
11-21-2005, 08:30 AM
so i'm trying to use a 19 mm hex key to get the fill plug loose on my manual transmission. unfortunately, there wasn't enough clearance for me to get the key into the plug. so now i'm going to have to use a hex head socket to get the plug loose. i remember doing a web search a couple of months ago and found some that were around $35 bucks a piece. (although i can't find where i found that, now)

can anyone point me to where i can get one of these suckers for cheap?

thanks,
jim

SharkD
11-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Sears may have them (I remember seeing them on their website, although the terms they use are inconsistent.) The expensive site you remember is probably Steve D's Ultimate Garage... www.ultimategarage.com

mlytle
11-21-2005, 12:24 PM
so i'm trying to use a 19 mm hex key to get the fill plug loose on my manual transmission. unfortunately, there wasn't enough clearance for me to get the key into the plug. so now i'm going to have to use a hex head socket to get the plug loose. i remember doing a web search a couple of months ago and found some that were around $35 bucks a piece. (although i can't find where i found that, now)

can anyone point me to where i can get one of these suckers for cheap?

thanks,
jim

cut one inch off your hex key. stick the short piece in the plug and use a 19mm combo wrench on the end that sticks out.

beckley
11-21-2005, 12:39 PM
i thought of that, but that thing is hardened steel and other than a hacksaw, i don't have anything to cut it with. maybe i could convince one of the welders at work to torch that sucker. thanks for the input.

jim

Pinecone
11-23-2005, 08:17 AM
A cut off saw would be better, the torch would destroy the hardening.

Try Snap-On. Not exactly cheap, but they have some nice short hex sockets.

Itsa328
11-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Check out Harbor Freight. Some of their tools are cheaply made but for those items you only use a couple times a year it might be worth it. They are mostly mail order but they do have a store in the Towson area.

Itsa328
11-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Forgot one other place too, FACOM makes the exact tool you are looking for. Griot's garage carries their line too.

beckley
11-23-2005, 01:10 PM
thanks for all of the suggestions. i'll keep them in mind when i do future tool searches. turns out one of the guys that i work with has a buddy in the machine shop where i work who is going to cut the hex key for me.

thanks again,
jim