PDA

View Full Version : Oct 22nd Course Map (Real)

Doby
10-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Well here it is, my first attempt at a real course. It's big, it's fast, and it may need to be changed according to the weather. Both Greg Olsen and Kevin Henry have looked at the map and given insights.

I really hope people will make the drive to a GOOD lot and have fun on a big fast course.

Please print it out and bring a copy with you.

John

74tii
10-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Towels and your daughter. Makes the drive home a lot of fun. Especially when she spins out on a wet course.

adam
10-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Haha I was first hand for that spin. I was amazed she spun and stopped directly in the middle of a gate! That takes car control

Doby
10-24-2005, 09:09 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how she spun in a straight. I'm sure Adam could spin anything though... including a 318iA.

AlfaEric
10-24-2005, 09:11 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how she spun in a straight. I'm sure Adam could spin anything though... including a 318iA.
That was a straight? :confused: Maybe I should get more sleep and study the course maps longer. :redface:
---Eric

Doby
10-24-2005, 09:14 AM
Well maybe not completely, but the car should have been going straight by the time it was at the first gate. Were you turning in late and having to come back to the gate?

AlfaEric
10-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Well maybe not completely, but the car should have been going straight by the time it was at the first gate. Were you turning in late and having to come back to the gate?
I don't know what I was doing out there. I was probably turning in too late. I know I was screwing up a lot of sections while concentrating too much on traction and not enough on the line/looking ahead. Oh well, hopefully it won't be raining for the last event.

---Eric

adam
10-24-2005, 11:11 AM
most people seemed to turn in late for that particular gate, including myself

AlfaEric
10-24-2005, 12:14 PM
That was a fun course and worked really well in the rain. Great work Doby (and thanks to everyone else who helped).

I can't wait to see what is planned for the next event up there.

---Eric

M-technik-3
10-24-2005, 12:46 PM
With rain, I'm not so upset about going to Hawaii for the weekend. It was nice weather when I got back on Sunday.

JimHarris
10-24-2005, 12:47 PM
It was a good course. I gather you simplified it a bit here and there (dropping a couple of cones in the latter third of it, not just eliminating the second half of the skid pad). A wise idea, given the conditions.

Either that or I was massively off course four times in a row. :)

Hope it's dry November 19.

AlfaEric
10-24-2005, 12:48 PM
With rain, I'm not so upset about going to Hawaii for the weekend. It was nice weather when I got back on Sunday.
You went to Hawaii while I spent the day standing in a parking lot freezing cold, in the rain? My life just got a little more depressing. :frown:
---Eric

M-technik-3
10-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Yes, spoiled rotten, I went for three days, left on Wednesday got back on Sunday about noon.

I was the Best man for my partner in crime. Weather was awesome, flew for free, stayed for free, could it be better, yeah the wife should have come. but no child care for the days, it would have been even better.

Dirichlet
10-24-2005, 04:42 PM
My $.02
that was the most funnest (or, much more funnerrer) autox of the season. . . The low traction conditions were a power equalizer that gave me a sporting chance at not doing horrible :). Plus, who doesn't enjoy getting a little squirrelly here 'n' there?
Personally, I'm hoping for rain in Nov.

woodym3
10-24-2005, 05:38 PM
most people seemed to turn in late for that particular gate, including myself
Which gate are you talking about here?

1996 328ti
10-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Results are up.
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?results

adam
10-24-2005, 10:06 PM
red outline

the right turn seemed to give people some trouble causing them to end up left of the next gate

AlfaEric
10-25-2005, 08:02 AM
Results are up.
Thanks!

---Eric

Pete
10-25-2005, 08:59 AM
My $.02
that was the most funnest (or, much more funnerrer) autox of the season. . . The low traction conditions were a power equalizer that gave me a sporting chance at not doing horrible :). Plus, who doesn't enjoy getting a little squirrelly here 'n' there?
Personally, I'm hoping for rain in Nov.

No. I don't want to stand in the rain all day. Especially with how cold Nov will be. Definately debating on not having a Nov. event next year.

Pete

BahnBaum
10-25-2005, 09:45 AM
That was an awesome course, even in the wet. I vote for duplicating it in November.

Alex

adam
10-25-2005, 10:54 AM
driving in the rain is fun and you learn a lot, but things tend to get wet (equipment and people). once that happens, the event is almost something you suffer through because walking around with water in your shoes sucks

clyde
10-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Results are up.

MSS and MS results are wrong. :icon_shak

hoyabmw
10-25-2005, 12:56 PM
MSS and MS results are wrong. :icon_shak

Why? Doby chose to run my 325 in MSS. Upclassing is something we've always allowed (as long as I've been running anyway.) Running an M3 is MS would be a problem though.

Kevin

1996 328ti
10-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Revised results are up.

SMOODY
10-26-2005, 07:11 AM
I also liked the course. It was challenging in the rain, but not too difficult to follow.

The wet conditions really gave you a chance to practice car control. My son especially liked the times when the rear end got loose and we hung the tail out for a few seconds until I could get the car back under control.

BahnBaum
10-26-2005, 07:13 AM
My son especially liked the times when the rear end got loose and we hung the tail out for a few seconds until I could get the car back under control.

I think my car's tail was hung out most of the course.

Alex

SMOODY
10-26-2005, 07:16 AM
I agree that the weather was not the best and I should have worn warmer clothes. But, the weather kept the attendance down and allowed for 5 runs instead of the usual 4 plus a fair number of fun runs. I am looking forward to the November event.

Pinecone
10-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Cool, Cylde didn't actually beat me in my own car. Since he ran it in a different class. :)

AlfaEric
10-26-2005, 08:29 AM
I also liked the course. It was challenging in the rain, but not too difficult to follow.
The wet conditions really gave you a chance to practice car control. My son especially liked the times when the rear end got loose and we hung the tail out for a few seconds until I could get the car back under control.
I had a blast doing that for fun runs. I really wanted to see what my car would do when I did stupid things (more than normal). As a lot of people have said, driving in the rain is a great learning experience. Of course, I still prefer the dry.

---Eric

M-technik-3
10-26-2005, 09:42 AM
No. I don't want to stand in the rain all day. Especially with how cold Nov will be. Definately debating on not having a Nov. event next year.

Pete

That's why we need a few more summer time events, maybe a weekend double header? Has Vdot been contacted about the commuter lot next to the river and 95? The one that holds the import shows? Or how about the aaa ball field in Manassas?

Throwing out ideas on locations, As I mentioned over on Bimmerforums the airfield manager is trying to work with me to get a date set up for Davison airfield but they are planning on doing some tarmac resurfacing. So that might be an issue.

So Nov? will it be to cold for R's I have a set mounted and want to try em....since it's free for me. MS that is.

AlfaEric
10-26-2005, 10:13 AM
That's why we need a few more summer time events, maybe a weekend double header? Has Vdot been contacted about the commuter lot next to the river and 95? The one that holds the import shows? Or how about the aaa ball field in Manassas?

Throwing out ideas on locations, As I mentioned over on Bimmerforums the airfield manager is trying to work with me to get a date set up for Davison airfield but they are planning on doing some tarmac resurfacing. So that might be an issue.

So Nov? will it be to cold for R's I have a set mounted and want to try em....since it's free for me. MS that is.
Summer events usually have a low turnout (due to the heat). Spring and early fall events typically have the best turnouts. A two day event is actually a possibility (even though it would be exhausting). I would rather do a two day event in the spring than an event in November. How about an autox school on Saturday and an autox on Sunday?

---Eric

M-technik-3
10-26-2005, 11:28 AM
That would be good, I was wondering what happened to the planned event for Oct, but did that go the way of the rain?

It seems we are a small Driving chapter in comparison to others, yes or no?

AlfaEric
10-26-2005, 11:54 AM
That would be good, I was wondering what happened to the planned event for Oct, but did that go the way of the rain?
We just had an event last weekend. :confused:

I think we have quite a few driving events. I'm not sure about other chapters. We try not to overlap our events but this year has been difficult.

---Eric

M-technik-3
10-26-2005, 12:00 PM
I was in Hawaii hence why I missed it. I knew that the DE and the auto-x were going to be missed. I think I will even be missing the November 19th event due to going to the Whitehouse tour that day. I hate when family stuff overlaps fun stuff.

1996 328ti
10-26-2005, 12:41 PM
It seems we are a small Driving chapter in comparison to others, yes or no?No.

7 autocrosses plus an autocross school.
4 driving school weekends.

I'd like to see another chapter do that on their own.:biggrin:

AlfaEric
10-26-2005, 12:46 PM
No.

7 autocrosses plus an autocross school.
4 driving school weekends.

I'd like to see another chapter do that on their own.:biggrin:
Plus a winter Karting league.

---Eric

M-technik-3
10-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Hmm, guess I'm still used to Bean town, we do 7 events for auto X, 2 prep classes, numerous road events like DC a kart league and a winter ice racing league. Not that we have Ice here....LOL.

It irks me that every event seems to fall on a USAF reservist weekend. :(

woodym3
10-26-2005, 03:52 PM
I would argue that we are perhaps the LARGEST "driving chapter". We have been having seven autocrosses a year with aproximately 90 entries each. I don't know of any chapter that hosts that many drivers a year.

We put on four 2-day on-track driver schools a year. Our schools may be smaller than what you will find at VIR, the Glen or Mid-Ohio, but the students get four on-track sessions each day AND skid-pad sessions. In other words - quality track time.

And yes, we did have an autocross in October. It didn't rain, but it wouldn't have mattered.

woodym3
10-26-2005, 03:58 PM
I would argue that we are perhaps the LARGEST "driving chapter".
Let me also mention that we host several tours each year. These give members the opportunity to take the whole family for a drive on country roads with other members in their BMWs.

M-technik-3
10-26-2005, 04:40 PM
I am not knocking the chapter by any means. You guys are reading to much into my statement. I like the DC chapter people are open with information and constructive critisim and help one another out this is great.

Pete
10-27-2005, 02:34 PM

Where is this aaa ball field? Is this for a minor league team? I'll look into those.

Do you need any information from us in regards to Davison airfield?

It's kind of hard to do event's more than once a month considering all of the other clubs we have to work around. I am however glad to entertain suggestions. Especially in November when we work on the 06 schedule. If you'd like to help out, let me know.

Not sure if R's will be much of a benifit over streets but I would think that they offer some benifit but not as much as when it's warm.

Pete

SMOODY
10-27-2005, 08:18 PM
Where is this aaa ball field? Is this for a minor league team? I'll look into those.
I think that the field that he is referring to is Pfitzner stadium were the Potomac Nationals play. It is part of a large complex for the Prince William County government. Satellite photos can be found here.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=7+County+Complex+Court,+Woodbridge,+VA+22192&ll=38.681892,-77.350359&spn=0.003684,0.010192&t=k&hl=en

M-technik-3
10-28-2005, 07:06 AM
Yes that's the field.