PDA

View Full Version : Dan's list of local repair shops

1996 328ti
10-04-2005, 06:18 PM
http://www.dvsmith.net/bmw/service/dc_service_shops.php

SharkD
10-04-2005, 07:35 PM
If anyone has any updates, I'm happy to add them. (I need to add RRT and some other info... Car maintenance has been taking precedence over web maintenance, lately.)

1996 328ti
10-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Yea, Bill is no longer at J&F. And thanks for the list!

John in VA
10-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Yea, Bill is no longer at J&F.

Where is he now?

1996 328ti
10-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Where is he now?
I want to say the Tidewater area of VA but I'm not sure.

4WDrift
10-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Bill Brochu is somewhere in Tidewater with his brothers I believe.

hoyabmw
10-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Where is he now?

He went to work for Terry Baker in VA Beach. I believe it's Atlantic Autowerks.

Kevin

John in VA
10-06-2005, 05:33 PM
So, is there anyone we "like" at J&F these days? I haven't been there in ~8 years. I have old cars, so that might make a difference.

OwnedbyDuncan
10-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Yes there is and actually it is a better shop than J&F ever was. Problem is they aren't taking any new customers. Shop is great for older cars especially E30's and M's.

Psi5
10-08-2005, 05:29 PM
If anyone has any updates, I'm happy to add them. (I need to add RRT and some other info... Car maintenance has been taking precedence over web maintenance, lately.)
Two comments on shops. First Auto Advantage is now "Advantage Certified" and I have recently had several excellent experiences with them. I can go into more detail if anyone likes, but I would recommend them based on my experience.

The second comment is actually a question (and the reason I went to Advantage). Briefly, I went to a local independent who advertises in db and who was recommended by another NCC member. I had an *awful* experience with them, including bad advice, incomplete jobs, lack of knowledge about my car ('98 540i), "fixes" that caused other problems, and difficulty in getting warranty work done. I ended up going to Advantage and they were very straightforward, honest (including inviting me into the shop to see particular problems myself), reasonably priced, and they actually fixed all the problems (and found obvious others that the first shop missed).

So, here is my question. Do I leave it alone and attribute my bad experience to luck? To me? Or do I let other NCC members know about it? I wouldn't want others to have the same bad (and expensive) experience I had but recognize that I am an n=1 of my interaction may not be representative of how this shop does business.

Thoughts?

1996 328ti
10-08-2005, 07:48 PM
So, here is my question. Do I leave it alone and attribute my bad experience to luck? To me? Or do I let other NCC members know about it? I wouldn't want others to have the same bad (and expensive) experience I had but recognize that I am an n=1 of my interaction may not be representative of how this shop does business.

Thoughts?Feel free to express your opinion about your experience.
Everyone has had good and bad experiences from the same independent or dealer.

John in VA
10-10-2005, 02:02 PM
So, is there anyone we "like" at J&F these days? I haven't been there in ~8 years. I have old cars, so that might make a difference.
Sorry - My question was more J&F-specific. Has there been any recent experiences/staff/ownership changes that warrant NOT recommending J&F to drivers down that way?

OwnedbyDuncan said:Yes there is and actually it is a better shop than J&F ever was. Problem is they aren't taking any new customers. Shop is great for older cars especially E30's and M's.
I've seen this comment for several years now. Maybe you can let us know WHEN new customers CAN contact Bill for service!

tomterp
10-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Hello folks,

I'm new to the board, and new to BMW's as well. Last week I bought a 2000 323i, and am having it serviced for some items the previous owner deferred maintenance on.

I had no idea how to select a repair shop, and was averse to taking it to my local dealer, Fairfax BMW. Looking through the previous owner's file, he had an oil pan replaced for over $1600 there, struck me as extreme. Anyway, I have committed it to Fairfax Service Center, which is listed as an independent BMW repair facility by an association of these shops. However, I could find no mention of it in this thread.

Does anybody have any experience with them? This shop is located on Prosperity, just across Lee Highway from the dealer.

I also work close to the Martin shop in Gaithersburg, which seems to have it's fans. That would be a future alternative for me. Appreciate any feedback!

JimC
10-13-2005, 10:08 PM
I have been taking my two BMWs to Dan for several years. Dan is honest and forthright. A real "no bullsh*t" shop and his prices are reasonable. I have never felt I was getting screwed nor being asked to pay for something the car didn't need (as opposed to other shops in the area I have had experience with :mad:). He only works on BMWs.

The best thing I can say is that Dan is a good guy. He and his staff are not perfect - no shop is. The Dan Martin difference is that he admits it when things did not go right and he fixes it. No blaming the customer (see above comment about other shops).

Oh, and he is also a BMW enthusiast who club races and instructs for the National Capital Chapter.

I say give him a try. :)

Jim Colbert

tomterp
10-14-2005, 07:26 AM
Appreciate the input Jim. I didn't actually find Dan's shop until after I had committed my car to the Fairfax shop. However, a co-worker showed up yesterday with a new (to him) 2003 z4, and wanted a shop to check it out before finalizing the purchase.

I showed him Dan's web site, so he took it there during lunch, got what he thought was a valuable 1 hour of inspection effort and input on the car's condition.

Will definitely give him a shot at future business.

Tom

ibg
01-04-2006, 09:13 PM
HI, I am new to this forum and came across this post about Advantage Certified. I own an '01 740i and need to do my inspection II service. Does anybody have an opinion on this service center and will you recomend them?
Thanks in advance:confused:

SMOODY
01-06-2006, 03:39 PM
I bought both of my BMWs from the Advantage Certified dealership in Manassas. I usually work on my own cars, but I did take my wife's car in for service twice. Once after we bought the car to correct a few issues we identified, and a second time to replace the cam position sensor.

My general impression was that they were competent, honest, and repaired the car correctly in a timely manner. The prices were only slightly cheaper than going to the dealership however. If you need a loaner, they only have a couple of loaner cars that you need to reserve in advance. The loaner cars are usually some non-BMW econo-box that they accepted in trade recently.

SharkD
01-06-2006, 04:57 PM
I promise that I'll have the list updated soon (long to-do list - race car, photography, web site, etc.)...

...and I'll be adding a Piedmont NC shop section (since I'm moving there sometime this spring).

The first entry will be about 1st Class Auto Service (http://www.firstclassautomotive.com/index2.shtml) in Raleigh, which did high-quality (although arguably somewhat-incompetent, since they ignored my list of symptoms, ordered a post-88 part for an '87 MY car and replaced the thermostat despite my explicit statement that the part was less than a year old) work at nominal labor rates ($88/hr) with an exorbitant parts mark-up (e.g., $78 for a fan clutch).

Unfortunately, I... or rather, the 6er, was stuck in a position where it was impossible for me to perform a repair that I otherwise could have done in a driveway had I not had to be back in D.C. for work. Probably, had I been able to get the car to Korman (http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/service.htm) (which would have been an even longer tow), I'm sure I would have been much happier.

SharkD
02-02-2006, 11:44 AM
The DC list (http://www.dvsmith.net/bmw/dc_service_shops.html) has been updated. An NC list (http://www.dvsmith.net/bmw/nc_service_shops.html) has been created. (The site nav menu is under reconstruction at the moment, so it doesn't show the NC list, yet.)

mynameisBMW
05-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Me and my friends take our cars to Induktion Motorsports. It is a little independant shop near BWI that specializes in Audi, BMW, Porche, VW. They do really good work, and word of mouth is how they get thier business.

stamarev
01-22-2007, 11:28 AM
From the DC list of independent machanics, who can install my parts? Or they only order parts themselves?

Thanks!

jkuper
01-22-2007, 12:16 PM
From the DC list of independent machanics, who can install my parts? Or they only order parts themselves?

Thanks!

I think it's fair to assume that any of them will, but its also fair to assume they will charge you more, since they are not making money on parts, which is part of their ordinary income.

1996 328ti
01-22-2007, 01:33 PM
And don't expect a shop to warranty the labor if a part fails.

OwnedbyDuncan
01-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Before you order the part(s) talk to the shop. They may be able to get it cheaper than you can etc. Depending on what you want and need the shop maybe happy to let you find the part etc. I would first establish a relationship with a shop have them to a oil change or two and maybe a pad change. Also depending on the shop they may know what works and what doesnt for your car. This was very important years ago when I was changing the suspension on my E30 and most spring packages out there wher garbage. Spring binding and bottoming out are two things you dont need at a DS. There is a lot of crap and garbage out there being sold even by reputable companies.

And remember a good independent shop needs to make money to stay in business.

Dave Apker and collies

stamarev
01-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks for all your replies guys!

I am not an owner yet, about to buy my first BMW (used e46).

afrikandoc
01-29-2007, 10:26 AM
Having owned six BMWs over the last twenty-five years, I started out taking my cars to VOB, then Excluservice and then to Sigy, who had been my mechanic at all of these places. They do excellent work.:) However, if you have a thin skin and cannot give and take abuse easily:eek: , this is not the shop for you. Sigy is a great guy but kind of rough around the edges, way around the edges. But for quality, honesty, and at a decent price, it's the only place that I would take my car.:biggrin:

mike_balt
06-05-2007, 09:53 PM
I've got an '01 M5. Due for inspection 2 and coming up on end of CPO. looking for an indy to look over the car and likely become new go to shop.

Does anyone know of a good shop that's close to Balt than Dan's?
Thanks
Mike

pford
07-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Not much of a first post here, but anybody have an opinion on Autobahn Motor Works on Dorsey Lane? That's my neighborhood and I'm looking to settle into someplace with an E30 325.

wnelms
07-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Autobahn of Towson (Baltimore Metro):

Master BMW Mechanics
Quailty Service
Resonable Prices
410-583-1200

PS. There will be a waiting list. However, they do things right the first time!

mzznlink
10-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Although I live down by Fredericksburg, VA, my daughter's up in Manassas and takes her '98 328is to Manassas Moterwerkes. Ron has always treated her very well, I even bought my current ride from him, an '86 325E that had a documented maintenance history and hasn't given me any problems.

I believe he's sort of across the street from Advantage.

///MARINE
11-06-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm looking for a shop that has experience with the S38 ///M6 engine. In or around Fairfax, Virginia or Southern Maryland would be great. My 1988 M6 runs like a charm. I don't want to wait until something goes wrong before I start looking for expert assistance.

Thanks in advance!

Ahmed303
11-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Call RRT in Dulles (703.661.4222). They do good work but not sure about S38.

onboost
12-04-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm looking for a shop that has experience with the S38 ///M6 engine. In or around Fairfax, Virginia or Southern Maryland would be great. My 1988 M6 runs like a charm. I don't want to wait until something goes wrong before I start looking for expert assistance.

Thanks in advance!

You need to see in VA... J&F Motors
If you prefer the service in MD.. then Sigy's, or Excluservice in Rockville, or Einstien's in Greenbelt.

Each of these shops is very familiar with the S38 engine and either the owners or at least one of the techs train on them when they were new. It makes a difference.

Paul

Wildcats64
12-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Marine 3:

You might try Fairfax Service Center. They are at 2850 Prosperity Ave., Merrifield. Phone number is 703-560-1700. Speak to Reese.

esac11
02-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Call RRT in Dulles (703.661.4222). They do good work but not sure about S38.

Has anyone had a pre-purchase inspection done at RRT? If so, could you share your experience? Thanks!

Bruce N
02-14-2008, 08:43 AM
I had a post-purchase inspection there. They are excellent and VERY thorough. Highly recommended.

Real M3
02-14-2008, 09:32 AM

Thanks in advance!

I second or third the advice to Call RRT and see what they have to say. S38 is an S14 on steroids :biggrin: and they know S14s! Barry and crew are straight shooters and will tell you what their quals are. Good folks and avid supporters of the club. I highly reccomend them.

BlazenXLT
02-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Another thumbs up for Dan Martins. They did a pre-purchase inspection for me and saved me a TON of money.

Scany
02-29-2008, 09:48 AM
I'd like to add a note about J&F. A lot of people has talked very nice about J&F and I thought I'd found the perfect place to take my BMWs. But after getting the E30 318iS back after an alignment and track inspection I was very disappointed. First we were quoted that the inspection was going to be put in for free with the alignment. That ended up with $115 extra without notice. Second they argued we had old/bad coolant, when I had personally replaced it a month ago with 50/50 BMW Antifreeze. Third they meant that the brakefluid was bad by looking at it, which can be argued I guess. And fourth, and most important, they said there was an oil leak from the timing chain cover gasket, and "..this car will never make it to the track. You can't change that even with an army before this weekend." Quoted $1200 with new chain. If they would have just done their job right, they would have figured out that the leak was about a drop here, and a drop there, and was coming from the oil filter housing gasket to the engine block. Which even I found out by methodically just shining a light down the engine and doing some M42-engine research. Gasket replaced in a few hours by myself even.

J&F is not the only ones doing a lousy job and arguing they have done the right thing. But I believe it needs to be mentioned along with all the good reviews J&F is getting here. I don't know what other people feel about situations like this, but to me that is not good enough, and far from great.

Thoreau
05-17-2008, 01:09 PM
BMW Excluservice changed management. They now do crap work. I would recommend Dan Martin's Auto in Maryland as well. Sadly, I live in VA now so I can't go there anymore. I'm checking out RRT in the next few weeks. By the way list guy, RRT is $95.00 an hour, not $85.00. They ain't cheap.

chicane
08-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Who is the best shop for ///M cars in NOVA or Richmond?

woodym3
08-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Who is the best shop for ///M cars in NOVA or Richmond?

Who amongst us has had enough work done at every shop in the area to be in a position to give an informed opinion? All you can do is sort through the various recommendations, make some direct phone calls to ask the right questions, pick one, and most important, cross your fingers.

stevemd
09-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Thumb's up for Autowerke/Autoy. I took my car in for an estimate to have the front strut/spring assemblies pulled and new assemblies put in (E39). I told them what stymied me (unable to pop tierod end loose from knuckle) and they told me that contrary to intenet how-to info, no need to remove tierod end. Saved me big bucks and I did the work yesterday afternoon. It was easy as taking candy from babies, not that I recommend that or even giving candy to babies :rolleyes:

chicane
09-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Seriously, who is the best of the best as far as working on ///M engines in NOVA? I'm really not into throwing darts at board when it comes to my M3?

Munchenman2
09-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Chicane,

You will not get a better answer than that from WoodyM3 in comment #42. You have gotten plenty of advice (and Woody's is usually pretty good), and nobody can guarantee that the service you will receive - even at the BMW factory - will be the best.

It is now up to you to do your duty and make your considered choice.

Best of luck!

Alan :tongue:

woodym3
09-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Seriously, who is the best of the best as far as working on ///M engines in NOVA? I'm really not into throwing darts at board when it comes to my M3?
You don't even say which M3 you have. The E36 with S52 engine is pretty much the same engine as any 325 or 328 of the same era and any competent shop can handle that. The E30 and E46 engines are a little more unique. James at RRT near Dulles has tons of experience working on both. Bill Shook at Kraftwagon in Alexandria has worked on the E30's S14 for many years, including more re-builds than he desired. I don't know if he's taking on new customers now or not.

chicane
09-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks.

328iBMW
10-02-2008, 03:48 PM
BMW Excluservice changed management. They now do crap work. ...

I do not recommend Excluservice either.

seventyfive
10-24-2008, 06:50 PM
I think it's fair to assume that any of them will, but its also fair to assume they will charge you more, since they are not making money on parts, which is part of their ordinary income.
we don't charge extra on parts, we discount all parts installed 15%, sometimes more depending on the part. we do not charge list price on any part. we only use oem parts or equivalent i.e. mann filters, ate rotors, pagid pads, etc. if you bring your own parts we don't jack up the labor rates either. we, as most shops, do not warranty the parts you bring in. our shop is Deutsch American, we've been in business for about 15 years, and our website is being updated/created. hopefuly, we will get the website up very soon. we are located off of 270 5 minutes south of frederick.

schnitzer7
10-26-2008, 01:24 PM
I feel the need to add AT Speed Motorsports to the list of repair shops, off Coca Cola drive in Hanover,Md. convenient to 295 and 95, just off rte.100. The only non dealer, authorized DINAN service center in the area! www.atspeedmotorsports.com. For Porsche, Audi, BMW and Mercedes repair as well as your other cars.

John in VA
10-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Does anyone have experience with Ashburn European Service Center & Glen Jensen? A local E28 owner mentioned the place, but I'm not familiar with the shop.
TIA!

silvergray///M
12-04-2008, 02:04 PM
I've used fairfax motors off main street for about 5 years now. They are convenient to my home, prices are comparable, loaner car and honor most aftermarket warranty repair. They have worked on my 01 325ci when i had it and my current car (04 m3 cabrio) since the factory warranty ran out in March of this year.

Brian is the shop manager and Charlie is the service writer.

Good people there and any indy shop is better than the stealership!

chicane
12-31-2008, 10:23 AM
I just wanted to give major props to RRT:

http://www.roadracetech.com/

They fixed a problem on my M3 that no one else could and for that I am eternally grateful. Well worth the trip from Richmond, but if I was a local I would use them exclusively.

bgo
02-07-2009, 02:48 PM
I couldn't open them. Could you please list them on the thread?

glindsay
02-07-2009, 03:14 PM
The following is Dan's List reference in this tread's first post.

The shops that I am personally familiar with are first, followed by some that I've heard about. Labor rates are indicated when known.

Dan Martin's Auto Service
8100 H Beechcraft Avenue
Gaithersburg, MD 20879
(301) 926-8977
Small shop but the work is excellent; he knows BMW's very well and his prices are very good. One year warranty. Frequented by the more 'performance-driven' club members. Well-acquianted with older BMW's and M-cars. ($75/hr)

J & F Motors
4064 S. Four Mile Run Dr.
Arlington, VA 22206
(703) 671-7757
Excellent service and workmanship. One year warranty. Prices are higher than some other independents and management attitude can be a bit 'snooty.' Well-suited to cutomers who want to be pampered or those who don't 'know' their Bimmer. Unfortunately, their best wrench, Bill Brochu has moved on to Virginia Beach, but the rest of the staff is quite competent. ($90/hr, $110/hr if you supply parts)

Alexandria Bavarian Service
Grant Randall
416 East Raymond Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22301
(703) 836-2002
Superb work. Two year warranty. These guys live and breathe Bimmers. Blunt with their opinions, but very passionate and relatively thorough. Well-acquianted with 6er's, older/newer BMW's. TireRack direct sales & service, too. ($90/hr)

London Auto Services, Ltd.
Tom Baruch
7718 Lee Highway
Falls Church, VA 22042
(703) 560 - 6975
Widely considered to be the 'coupe-king' of the D.C. metropolitan area. Lots of experience with 1st Generation M-Cars, E30's, E28's, E24's, E12's and E9's. I've been pleased with Tom's professionalism and expertise. ($85/hr)

Road Race Technologies, Inc.
Barry Battle
23700 Overland Drive
Dulles, VA 20166
(703) 661-4222 (service)
A full-service shop of BMW racing fanatics who can do everything you need, be it oil changes to fuel cell installations. Formerly of Bimmerworld, Battle carries quality OEM and performance parts, some of which RRT has custom machined to spec. ($85/hr)

(The shops below have come up in discussion or searches, but I've never used them, personally.)

Martin Motorsports, Inc. (not affiliated with Dan Martin)
460a S Pickett St
Alexandria, VA 22304
(703) 823-9735
Well-regarded by club members. Personal experience with M6's, E24's and E28's. ($80/hr)

Sigy's Service Center
Siegfried Krause
110 Crabb Ave
Rockville MD 20850
(301) 881-6725
Some laud the service, others loathe the attitude. Krause is legendary/notorious amongst local service departments.

BMW Excluservice
12224 Parklawn Drive
Rockville, MD 20852
(301) 231-5400
A little pricey and getting more expensive; it used to be one of the best shops in the mid-Atlantic region, but now is looking to be sold to new owners, while customers bear the expense of making the profit margin look appetizing. Few service techs/mechanics stay in Lothar's employ for very long these days.

Autoy / Autowerke
11848 Coakley Circle
Rockville, MD 20852
(301)-770-0700
Used as a 'secondary-shop' by a friend who otherwise patronizes Dan Martin's shop. Well considered amongst Maryland-area club members.

Curry's Auto Service
4003A Westfax Drive
Chantilly, VA 20151
(703) 502-0400

1510 Moran Road
Sterling, VA 20166
(571) 522-1002
Rumor has it that their prices are high, though the service is acceptable. Quite often, the recommendations err on the side of caution... and the bottom line.

Advantage Certified
8503 Euclid Avenue
Suite 5
Manassas Park, VA 20111
(703) 361-3335
Recommended by a handful of BMW CCA members from the National Capital Chapter. According to another member, “My general impression was that they were competent, honest, and repaired the car correctly in a timely manner. The prices were only slightly cheaper than going to the dealership however. If you need a loaner, they only have a couple of loaner cars that you need to reserve in advance.” ($99/hr)

Fairfax Service Center
Reese Sherbaf
2850 Prosperity Avenue
Fairfax, VA. 22031
(703) 560-1700
A certified Dinan dealer and service shop, the reviews have been mixed, especially when dealing with older, non-OBD cars that need to be diagnosed, rather than downloaded.

AutoThority
3769-B Pickett Road
Fairfax, VA 22031
(703) 323-7830

German Autoworks
Dennis Burke
Rockville, MD
(301) 424-7463

Autodynamics
Don Andrews
15862 Somrvle Dr
Rockville, MD
(301) 948-4744

Bob
02-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Who amongst us has had enough work done at every shop in the area to be in a position to give an informed opinion? All you can do is sort through the various recommendations, make some direct phone calls to ask the right questions, pick one, and most important, cross your fingers.

Or better yet, buy some tools and get your fingers dirty, then you can only blame yourself for shoddy work. These older models aren't magical to work on ,actually a lot simpler than some japanese stuff. I would be happy to charge $50 /hr. doing some of these simple maintenance jobs.

kennym
02-11-2009, 06:30 AM
At Speed Motorsports; in Hanover, Maryland is outstanding.

bgo
02-21-2009, 12:11 PM
I am new to the CCA. I have owned three BMWs over the years and currently own a 1997 528i. It has been a great car. Currently, I am in the market for a e 39 m5. I have looked at several over the last two months, two by private owners and two by dealers. My question is this. Has anyone had any dealings with EEE Luxury Automobiles located next to Pallone Chevrolet? They have plenty of BMWs for sale on their website. They currently have an Avus blue 2000 m5. I drove it yesterday. The salesman says they are taking business away from the various dealers due to their quality vehicles and maintenance. They advertise a 12 month 12,000 mile free maintenace warranty. He said they work on everything. They have been there for two years having moved from Arlington. No mention of the in Washington Consumers Checkbook. Also, I would be interested in any comments/ suggestions on e39 m5s.

Thanks, Bill Goss

woodym3
02-21-2009, 03:16 PM
For what it's worth (probably not much actually) I live in Arlington and have never heard of them. There are lots of used car lots in the Clarendon - Ballston corridor that seem to come and go all the time.

1996 328ti
02-21-2009, 03:50 PM
The salesman says they are taking business away from the various dealers due to their quality vehicles and maintenance.
Spoken like a true used car salesman. :rolleyes:
I'm willing to bet they are doing as poorly as the 'various' BMW dealers.

Ethan Blank
03-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Is there a shop you recommend for MD inspection?

I had my Miata pre-purchase inspection in VA at Convenience Car Center, and while they woul have passed the car for VA inspection, they can't do MD.

It's 16 years old with 175k miles, so I am afraid of bringing it to a shop without knowing anyone there.

I'm still relatively new to this area, so I don't have a regular mechanic yet (my '07 335 will keep me in that position for at least a few more years, I hope!)

Any shop near Columbia is a plus, but I will certainly travel to a good shop to avoid complications.

Thanks!

jbshin
04-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Dan Martin's Auto Service
8100 H Beechcraft Avenue
Gaithersburg, MD 20879
(301) 926-8977
Small shop but the work is excellent; he knows BMW's very well and his prices are very good. One year warranty. Frequented by the more 'performance-driven' club members. Well-acquianted with older BMW's and M-cars. ($75/hr)

Martin Motorsports, Inc. (not affiliated with Dan Martin)
460a S Pickett St
Alexandria, VA 22304
(703) 823-9735
Well-regarded by club members. Personal experience with M6's, E24's and E28's. ($80/hr)

Dan's labor rate is 99/hr. I was just there yesterday to get some estimate. I am getting estimates for the coil over kit and the front wheel bearing work, labor for which largely overlap, but they are quoting the work separately.

Martin Motorsports rate is $98.50

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Is there a shop you recommend for MD inspection?

I had my Miata pre-purchase inspection in VA at Convenience Car Center, and while they woul have passed the car for VA inspection, they can't do MD.

It's 16 years old with 175k miles, so I am afraid of bringing it to a shop without knowing anyone there.

I'm still relatively new to this area, so I don't have a regular mechanic yet (my '07 335 will keep me in that position for at least a few more years, I hope!)

Any shop near Columbia is a plus, but I will certainly travel to a good shop to avoid complications.

Thanks!
Eastham's Exxon in Bethesda is honest. I've done multiple inspections with them - the one car that they failed fully deserved to get failed. If it needs some leniency to pass, you probably won't get much there, but they won't break things or make shit up.

Thoreau
06-08-2009, 06:16 PM
As a follow up, I've been going to Road Race Technologies in Dulles for about a year now. They are a racing shop and do good work. There is also Curry's Auto service that does general repairs. They do decent work but they charge you 120 as opposed to 95, and they aren't BMW centric.

All in all the RRT guys are pretty straight forward and will back up their work. The only mild gripe I have is that they push their motul oil's quite a bit. I know BMW uses castrol, and all the BMW owners I've met use mobil one/amsoil/lubromoly and more recently redline. So it's kinda odd. But besides that quirk, they are good folks that you can have a beer with.

Ethan Blank
06-09-2009, 08:59 AM
I ended up using Ed York at York Automotive in Mt. Airy.

Can't say enough good things about Ed's shop, his work is excellent, his rates are reasonable, and he knows what he's doing.

Billy Hill
06-15-2009, 05:58 PM
My 2002 325xit is up for Inspection 2. Great info here on finding independent shops.

The question I have is how many of the items on the Inspection 2 list are actually performed? While the car was under warranty I noticed that every dealer would check the boxes for oil and other fundamentals on Inspections 1 and 2, but 75% of the list was left unchecked. The stealers (Sterling and Arlington) always told me that "of course it was all done" but frankly I figured they were lying.

bimmer_fahrer
07-15-2009, 06:08 AM
Just curious if anyone knows if Curry's bought out J&F....

woodym3
07-15-2009, 09:51 AM
I just heard recently that the original owners, Joe Anderson and Gordon Fletcher had sold J&F to a couple of the technicians.

Jim Dunlap
07-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Interesting. A few months ago, before I opted for an M3 off eBay, I looked at some Perf Package 3 series for sale at J&F's front lot, and the cars seemed unattended to...dirty, low tire pressures, expired safety stickers. Drove by not long ago and a quick glance seemed to show the cars still there. Not the way to stay in business. A few months ago we took our 2000 328Ci to J&F and they professed no knowledge about Vanos seal problems...even if they did agree that after a cold start the engine surged and even quit.

woodym3
07-17-2009, 08:36 AM
The Bimmer Sales office that operated out of J & F's building was not under the same ownership as far as I know.

RJHOLLAS
08-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Just took possession of a 1994 530i sport wagon. Overall in good shape, however, I need a shop I will be able to work with on a long term basis.

woodym3
08-27-2009, 04:59 PM

Riding my bike along South Four Mile Run Drive recently I noticed that Curry's has a new shop just down (up) the street from J&F.

Marksvw
10-13-2009, 03:30 PM
I bought my 1999 BMW 528i from Advantage Certified in Manassas and have had them do repair work for me. I like them and Convenience Car Care Center. Tim, the owner of CCCC, has been the host of several DIY events and is very helpful. If you subscribe to Checkbook Magazine or can find it in your local library, their review of local repair shops is extremely useful. Another source is the Car Talk site. Look for the MechanX section, put in your information and find the names of good shops in your neighborhood.

Psi5
10-24-2009, 03:33 PM
I just wanted to give major props to RRT

A quick set of comments on three independents in NoVA- Advantage Certified, Alexandria Bavarian, & RRT. I can provide details on each upon request. Context - I expect a lot out of a repair shop, both customer service and quality car care and am willing to pay for that service. That said:

Advantage Certified - Took my car there for a little more than a year, major and minor service. They do offer loaners, customer service is only OK (can be really nice or really nasty), but I am convinced they were recommending expensive work ($2k+) that did not need to be done. They did fix what I asked but two later mechanics told me some of their recommended work was unnecessary. For work you know needs done, they are OK. However, wrt their recommendations and dedication to customer service, caveat emptor. I won't go back.

ABS - They know BMWs and their repairs, thoroughness, and work was outstanding. I'd recommend them without reservation except that they can take some time to get to your car (like a week plus once and then only after I had called multiple times to see what was going on and to explain repeatedly what the problem was) and, as others have noted, their customer relations are, well, a bit rough around the edges. If you can afford to give up your car for a while (like overnight for an oil service - I cannot) and can spar with them about it, they do excellent work.

RRT - Excellent service, car and customer. I've been going there for about two years and have been very satisfied. They recommend what needs to be done and not more, offer advice and suggestions, and are just nice to hang out with and talk about cars. Highly recommended shop. The only downside might be their location, on the far side of Dulles. For me (western Fairfax) it is fine but for those further in towards DC, it could be a bit far. For those guys, I'd recommend ABS but just be ready to be snarled at...

My .02

jbshin
01-30-2010, 12:29 PM
I've started going to RRT when I needed coilover kit installed. I have since been back there multiple times. They sometimes miss things if you don't talk to them in person vs. writing it on a overnight drop. Their labor rate is reasonable and about the only downside is their location. I, too, agree about them only using Motul fluids for everything, but I doubt they will mind if you brought your own. I typically bring my own parts even though they have a sign that says that they do not allow it, or something to that effect.

uptownautoservice
02-26-2010, 03:37 AM
All I can say is that Dan is a great guy.

specz66
02-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Took my 5 series (545) in for an oil/filter change and had them look at a wheel that had a slow leak based on recommendations from this forum. When I called to make the appointment and a price quote my quote was $150 w/ a 10% CCA discount. Cool. So they do the oil change and I guess they didn't have the filter for my car because I see a parts guy from BMW of Sterling show up w/ an oil filter.

One of the techs came out and told me my wheel is slightly bent but should be ok and shouldn't need to be replaced (appreciated the honest assessment) but that the tire has a bulge in the sidewall most likely from a pothole. Nice, just bought the Conti DWS's in December w/ no road-hazard insurance of course!:frown: Then they present me the bill. Total came to $179 and change. On one hand they were thorough and showed me what was wrong and didn't charge me for the wheel inspection, on the other hand the 10% club discount was only on the $17.60 oil filter ($1.76). Really!?!? And the oil is motul at $12+ per quart (I need 8.5 quarts). Their rate is $95 per hour, and it only took .5 hours but the oil worked out to over $110 (used 8.5 of 9 quarts) plus the oil filter.

My first reaction was where was the $150 oil/filter change w/ a 10% club discount? My expectation is that when I call a BMW specialist, tell them my model type, and ask for a quote I expect a fairly accurate quote. I was expecting $135 plus whatever they would have charged for the wheel/tire inspection (which the tire didn't come off the wheel). Maybe it would've worked out to be the same had they charged me? I don't know but while they were friendly I'm not sure I'll go back. For that kind of money I could go to Sterling. Maybe next time I'll try CCC in Manassas. I like to support businesses that support the CCA whenever I can.

Anyways, that was my experience.

Bob
02-27-2010, 09:24 AM
$12 a quart seems outrageous, synthetics are down to $4/$6 at chain stores.

ERGriffin
03-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Anyone have any experience with Einstein's Auto Repair in College Park, MD? I sort of just ran across them, saw they have a GT-1 in the shop (seems pretty rare to find that).

pseto
03-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Anyone have any experience with Einstein's Auto Repair in College Park, MD? I sort of just ran across them, saw they have a GT-1 in the shop (seems pretty rare to find that).

yes, when i lived closer I used Gary (owner) for most of my repairs. He's very knowledgeable and a former master tech at Passport. He's never steered me wrong and has been very straight-forward with all repairs.

bunks-tj
04-18-2010, 10:53 PM
hey guys,

i was sent over here from the 318ti forum by member over there. I am looking into getting a BMW and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of a good place to get a prepurchase inspection done in or near winchester? nothing on the list appeared to be in that area.

thanks

Liam

mcoupemindy
04-19-2010, 05:57 AM
hey guys,

i was sent over here from the 318ti forum by member over there. I am looking into getting a BMW and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of a good place to get a prepurchase inspection done in or near winchester? nothing on the list appeared to be in that area.

thanks

Liam

Liam,

I don't know of any specifically in Winchester, but if the seller is interested to bringing it up around your place in Manassas, VA, I highly suggest taking it to Convenience Car Care in Manassas.

bunks-tj
04-19-2010, 07:15 AM
Liam,

I don't know of any specifically in Winchester, but if the seller is interested to bringing it up around your place in Manassas, VA, I highly suggest taking it to Convenience Car Care in Manassas.
thanks. i am not familiar with that shop specifically but i wiould consider it if the owner let me take the car. i just know it is usually easier to take a car to a shop that is near where the owner is. i am going to call on it today, just usually like to have my ducks in a row before i make calls.

mcoupemindy
04-20-2010, 06:00 AM
thanks. i am not familiar with that shop specifically but i wiould consider it if the owner let me take the car. i just know it is usually easier to take a car to a shop that is near where the owner is. i am going to call on it today, just usually like to have my ducks in a row before i make calls.

Timmy (owner) and the CCC crew are good guys. I'm rather picky on who touches my car (for obvious reasons) and they have really taken care of me.

raymondalombardo
05-18-2010, 01:08 PM

I've used them as they are not far from the Metro (Greenbelt). Gary Davis, the owner, is very knowledgeable and used to work at Passport before opening his own shop. It is a very down to earth shop -- not any "showiness" -- but Gary knows BMWs and is extremely honest. When you get to talking to him, his knowledge of the car is actually very impressive. He will never sell you work you do not need, but he will tell you what the car needs so that your car is safe and in sound condition. His prices are fair, not cheap, but at the same time he is not as expensive as some of the other non-dealer BMW shops in the area. In comparison, I have tried other BMW shops in the area and have wound up sticking with Gary because I felt their pricing was high. And people who know me know that I am not cheap with servicing the cars, it's just that I don't want to be hosed.

The only problem with Gary is that because he is a small operation, if you have anything major going on -- "major" being anything outside routine service -- you should probably plan on having the car there for more than one day. That being said, this is not that unusal nowadays since dealers even don't like to stock parts for cars that are more than a few years old.

But overall, I would recommend him because of knowledge and honesty, and fair but not cheap pricing. Hope this helps and good luck.

ea-sport
06-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Anybody use Martin Motorsports recently? The one in Alexandria, VA not the one in Gaithersburg, MD. I used to bring my car there when I still had extended warranty and had not needed any repair work done for a while. Just wondering if anybody had a more recent experience with Gary Martin. For me it's the closest indy shop to my home but in all honesty I am not sure if he's 100% honest as far as the works needed for my car.

SharkD
10-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Sorry I've been MIA.

The link in the first post does work, but it redirects to: http://www.dvsmith.net/bmw/service/dc_service_shops.php

I'm working on turning it into a wiki...

Joshua
11-03-2010, 10:58 AM
I'd like to add my repair shop in northern Baltimore county. I just opened in May of 2010. Baltimore Bimmer is a new shop where you can watch your work being done or you can even rent a bay and do it yourself if you have the hand tools. We have all the specialty tools for timing engines an pulling them, even a GT-1 so you can get the real problem diagnosed.
Our labor rate is $85 an hour which blows away any competition and we do this simply for the love of BMW's. If you've never heard of us give us a try and we guarantee you'll be pleased with the knowledge and service unsurpassed even by the dealerships.

Everything your BMW needs can be taken care of here and our knowledgeable staff are all master technicians so you know your car isn't being handled by an inexperienced mechanic. I am the owner and as a BMW Master technician I am the hub of the Shop. We have a MINI Master on staff and an ASE master. You can visit the website http://baltimore-bimmer.com for more details.

BlackOps
11-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Any recommendations in the Woodbridge/Dumfries/Quantico area?

SJAM3PLZ
04-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Dang.. what's up with Excluservice? I though Lothar was the man there to stay!

ashwin
10-31-2011, 04:14 AM
http://www.dvsmith.net/bmw/service/dc_service_shops.php

Great list out here. In that list, my favorite is London auto services (http://www.londonautoservices.com/) ltd. It is famous for engine rebuilding and brake repair.

jondagle
03-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Nothing new here since Oct 2011. Anyone have any updates to service locations?

boy412
05-07-2013, 10:07 AM
I've recently picked up an '88 325iC and am working through various issues to get it back into shape. I'm in the College Park area and saw Einstein's mentioned a few times...so I will probably give them a try. I'll report back here if/when that happens. I'd usually take my car to Autoy & Autowerke in Rockville. They always did great work on my Audi...and I'd not hesitate to use them for my BMW if they were a little closer. With a car that isn't running its a little harder to get over there.

:mad:

nayshunm3
07-09-2013, 01:47 PM
How can I find his Dan guy? I need my M3 fixed up nicely. :(

John in VA
07-09-2013, 07:53 PM
How can I find his Dan guy? I need my M3 fixed up nicely. :(
Dan left the area several years ago, as I recall. If you look through the 7 pages of posts you might see mention of a shop in your area that has favorable feedback.

3Prem
07-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Blue Ribbon Auto Service Waldorf, MD

This shop has serviced all my vehicles for almost 20 years, Great Techs. and reliable work.

http://www.blueribbonautoservice.com/index.html

rchirnom
01-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Can anyone recommend a good shop in or around Arlington for vintage BMWs? I've got a 1985 635CSi. I decided to switch from Curry's to J&F after a few experiences at Curry's where the technicians seemed not to know much about my car (for example, I had to repeatedly explain what a fuel expansion tank is and walk the tech through a repair). And I've now had two consecutive negative experiences with J&F. In the first instance, I asked them to look into a suspected leak and they told me no leak but it was there, and quite obvious. In the second instance, I came back with the leak problem, and asked them to replace a leaking hose, and they wanted to send me away without doing it, until I insisted (didn't even order the part!). Subpar service, in each case. Really frustrating, especially at dealership prices.

Anyway, recommendations would be helpful. Doesn't necessarily have to be BMW specific.

Ven
01-09-2014, 05:15 PM
I used Fallon Automotive in Sterling, twice so far. Good experience so far.

bwalter0822
01-10-2014, 04:50 PM
I know this post is kinda old but any info on RRT for service work?

pseto
01-10-2014, 05:08 PM
I know this post is kinda old but any info on RRT for service work?

RRT does very good work and run by BMW enthusiasts.

bentone
01-11-2014, 05:30 PM
RRT does very good work and run by BMW enthusiasts.

Second this, nothing but great experiences with RRT on multiple occasions/cars. Very knowledgeable, reasonable rates, true enthusiasts.

bwalter0822
01-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys! Im glad to hear you all have had a good experience with RRT. I will have to check them out.

Second this, nothing but great experiences with RRT on multiple occasions/cars. Very knowledgeable, reasonable rates, true enthusiasts.

Djay_5
02-22-2016, 05:12 PM
AKTIV Automotive
22 W Diamond Ave,
Gaithersburg, MD 20877
(855) 901-4190
http://www.aktivautomotive.com/

vegamic
05-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Hello. Anyone work with Dan Martin's in Gaithersburg recently? I had him do some work a few years ago on a couple projects and was pleased, but haven't been back in a while. Nothing too complicated (stuck brake on 2002; 60K service and coolant service on a 330i), but been too jammed for time and nursing a bum shoulder. Thanks for any updates.

1996 328ti
05-02-2016, 03:56 PM
Hello. Anyone work with Dan Martin's in Gaithersburg recently? I had him do some work a few years ago on a couple projects and was pleased, but haven't been back in a while. Nothing too complicated (stuck brake on 2002; 60K service and coolant service on a 330i), but been too jammed for time and nursing a bum shoulder. Thanks for any updates.I had recently recommended him and the person was very glad I did. He found a problem that various dealers couldn't.

Alan
05-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Hello. Anyone work with Dan Martin's in Gaithersburg recently? I had him do some work a few years ago on a couple projects and was pleased, but haven't been back in a while. Nothing too complicated (stuck brake on 2002; 60K service and coolant service on a 330i), but been too jammed for time and nursing a bum shoulder. Thanks for any updates.

Dan does all of the work on my E46 M3, including track Tech inspections. I recommend him 100%.

vegamic
05-03-2016, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Off to Dan Martin I go.

UncleQuillis
03-26-2018, 01:10 PM
Many of the shop listings are for Montgomery County and Northern Virginia, but if you're in Prince George's County there's 2 shops I highly recommend. You don't have to drive to Egypt to get excellent service for our BMWs!!!

1) Beamer Auto
6312 Aaron Lane
Clinton, MD 20735
240-257-2775
https://www.beamerauto.com/

2) Randy's C.A.R.S.
7523 Old Alexandria Ferry Rd.
Clinton, MD 20735
http://www.randyscars.net

andrewgoldin
05-24-2018, 09:51 AM
Hello fellow BMW enthusiasts!
My 2014 BMW 328 Sport Wagon needs a 50K mile service -- new battery, differential fluids, brakes, fuel injection service and so on. Naturally the car has 52K miles on it and is out of the maintenance plan. Dealer wants me to pay $1,500. I'd like to shop around. While it would be fun to get it performance tuned, the truth is it's my wife's daily driver and she does not take it to the track, especially with two little kids in the back :) . What recommendations does the hive mind have for service in the Alexandria/Springfield area?
Thanks in advance...

pseto
05-24-2018, 04:17 PM
Martin's Motorsport in Alexandria

andrewgoldin
05-24-2018, 05:06 PM
Martin's Motorsport in Alexandria
Hi Paul
Thanks for the advice. I used Martins for a 60k mike service on my Z4. I spent over $800 and dont really feel I got all that much to show for it. After checking some reviews on Yelp, I thought Id try German Auto Group. Ill report back with the results.

andrewgoldin
05-31-2018, 08:28 PM
Quick update for those of you following from home:
I used German Auto Group of Alexandria (600 S. Pickett St.) . Here's the breakdown:
Coolant, Differential, Transfer case flush and fuel injection service: $898.60
Replace rear brake pads and rotors. $638
Replace battery: $423
Total cost: $1,999
Dealer quote for the work was comparable. Am I wrong for feeling like I paid too much?

John in VA
05-31-2018, 09:48 PM
I used German Auto Group of Alexandria. Here's the breakdown:
Coolant, Differential, Transfer case flush and fuel injection service: $898.60
Replace rear brake pads and rotors. $638
Replace battery: $423
Total cost: $1,999
Dealer quote for the work was comparable. Am I wrong for feeling like I paid too much?
Brake work seems high unless you went with high performance parts. I haven't had to replace a battery that needs registering, but hope I'm not paying that much when the time comes!

Arecks
07-16-2018, 03:22 AM
What happened to Autoy & Autowerke in Rockville? Looks like they are now called "Autobahn Car Service". . . ? I used them a few times in the late '90s and liked the fact that one of the guys was a track rat.

pseto
07-16-2018, 01:39 PM
What happened to Autoy & Autowerke in Rockville? Looks like they are now called "Autobahn Car Service". . . ? I used them a few times in the late '90s and liked the fact that one of the guys was a track rat.

I'm pretty sure they closed, not sure if they are affiliated with Autobahn or not

UncleQuillis
07-18-2018, 01:26 PM

Message from Dave Autoy!! :-) (http://www.scottsautomotivemd.com/autoy-autowerke/)

andrewgoldin
08-14-2018, 08:46 PM
Greetings,
In my continuing quest to find a reasonably priced BMW maintenance and repair shop, I tried J&F Motors on Four Mile Run in Arlington. I had been there quite some time ago and was satisfied with their work and thought I'd try again. Anyway, it's close to where I work.
My "replace brake fluid" light was on and I thought I might also need brakes on my 2012 Z4. Scheduling was pretty easy. They replaced the brake fluid, evaluated the brakes and said I had plenty of wear left remaining. Brake Fluid Flush, fluid, and "32 point inspection" cost me $175.87. Overall my impression is they're competent, professional and a well-run shop. I'll go back!

John in VA
08-15-2018, 11:47 AM
Thanks for taking the time to document your experience! I first used J&F in 1980. Times, ownership, personnel & attitudes change - glad you had a good visit.

M3Keydet
08-16-2018, 06:04 AM
Greetings,
In my continuing quest to find a reasonably priced BMW maintenance and repair shop, I tried J&F Motors on Four Mile Run in Arlington. I had been there quite some time ago and was satisfied with their work and thought I'd try again. Anyway, it's close to where I work.
My "replace brake fluid" light was on and I thought I might also need brakes on my 2012 Z4. Scheduling was pretty easy. They replaced the brake fluid, evaluated the brakes and said I had plenty of wear left remaining. Brake Fluid Flush, fluid, and "32 point inspection" cost me $175.87. Overall my impression is they're competent, professional and a well-run shop. I'll go back!

I have used J&F numerous times, and recommend them as well. Close to home and work helps, and they are super easy with pick up and drop offs. Taken 2 E90 M3s there as well as E70 X5 and E39 528. It's them for service, and RRT for performance work!

84Targa
08-17-2018, 06:39 PM
Any suggestions for Frederick, MD area?

John in VA
08-18-2018, 11:49 AM
I sent you a message - you'll see it in Notifications at the very top of the page.

lenhart1
09-24-2018, 09:34 PM

I realize this question was asked a while back, but I'm from Urbana and I've been really happy with Deutsch American http://www.deutschamerican.com . I first had them work on my used X3 when i had just bought it. I had it previously had inspected by another shop in Houston before being shipped up here. They picked up on everything I was expecting them to find and even found a loose U joint in the drive shaft that I hadn't realized was a problem until I stopped noticing a soft clanking sound between acceleration and deceleration after they fixed it. (It is my first X drive, so I just attributed it to normal sounds for an AWD stick shift). It had even made it past MD inspection too....

I meticulously detailed the X3 inside and out--including the engine bay--before dropping it off. I've never had a shop finish with an oil change and leave my engine bay looking as clean as it did when I brought it in-- no drops of oil, no finger prints. This shop is the most detail oriented place that I've used. The place is not new and shiny, but it is clean and organized. And something awesome about using them is that they have their own private air strip to test drive the cars so it is a very controlled environment. I take all my cars there now unless it is something like a recall that needs to go to a dealer.

Very friendly and accommodating as well. And I've also been flexible with them to drop a car off a few days early if they had a cancellation.

They aren't the cheapest shop I've used, but I think they are well worth it considering how picky I am.

Ralph335
11-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Can anyone recommend any shops in the Baltimore area? I'm due for new front brakes on my 335 and figure an indy shop could save me a little over the dealer. Thanks.

pseto
11-06-2018, 01:47 PM
Can anyone recommend any shops in the Baltimore area? I'm due for new front brakes on my 335 and figure an indy shop could save me a little over the dealer. Thanks.

Benchmark Motors in Columbia

flanast
11-09-2018, 07:59 AM

Tier Car Care, 307 Church Lane, Pikesville, MD 21211

Tommy Ivic is an instructor for our HPDE's and no one, I repeat no one, knows BMWs better in the area.

Ralph335
11-21-2018, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the two recommendations guys. Both shops look like great options.

Zen0s
04-13-2019, 06:39 AM
Could anyone recommend me highly reputable shop to get my transmission oil changed?

I live in Hunt Valley area and I have yet to find a shop who I can trust to get the job done correctly :(

John in VA
04-13-2019, 06:18 PM
Could anyone recommend me highly reputable shop to get my transmission oil changed? I live in Hunt Valley area and I have yet to find a shop who I can trust to get the job done correctly.(
Our president Paul has previously recommended Benchmark Motors in Columbia - have you checked with them?

Zen0s
04-15-2019, 12:29 PM
Our president Paul has previously recommended Benchmark Motors in Columbia - have you checked with them?

yes sent them an email :) thank you!

Is transmission oil change not recommended? I called one dealer and they said they don't do that and bmw doesn't recommend it... and the other dealer says $2000 just for the labor! which doesn't sound right at all. Even ZF transmission recommend doing so at around 62k miles :/

John in VA
04-15-2019, 01:55 PM
Most owners feel that BMW's "lifetime" transmission fluid is a fallacy, so do change the fluid. $2K is ridiculous. Look for a shop offering the BG power flush & fluid exchange - we used a shop in Dulles VA & had this done on the '00 E46 with no problem at 60K miles. The BG fluid was compatible with the BMW/Texaco AT fluid recommended in our transmission.

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/transmission/bg-pf5-power-flush-and-fluid-exchange-system/

Zen0s
04-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Most owners feel that BMW's "lifetime" transmission fluid is a fallacy, so do change the fluid. $2K is ridiculous. Look for a shop offering the BG power flush & fluid exchange - we used a shop in Dulles VA & had this done on the '00 E46 with no problem at 60K miles. The BG fluid was compatible with the BMW/Texaco AT fluid recommended in our transmission.

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/transmission/bg-pf5-power-flush-and-fluid-exchange-system/

Thank you John!

I just heard back from benchmark mortors and their price definitely reasonable! not sure what kind of flush system they use tho but I did get a service kit from fcpeuro which includes all the necessary OE parts. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-ga8hp45z-ga8hp70z-auto-trans-service-kit-24118612901kt

I just hope that I won't run into any issues... too many bad experiences with shops nearby! :frown:

John in VA
04-16-2019, 10:37 AM
Glad to hear it! Some shops will allow owner-supplied parts, some don't. You should have no problem return the kit if that is the case.

Ralph335
04-22-2019, 12:17 PM
Tier Car Care, 307 Church Lane, Pikesville, MD 21211

Tommy Ivic is an instructor for our HPDE's and no one, I repeat no one, knows BMWs better in the area.

Went to see Tommy last week and he took real good care of me. Really nice guy who definitely knows his BMWs. Did the front brakes, a brake flush & oil change on my 335 all while busting my chops that I wasn't coming out to track at Chapter Fest. :tongue:

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely be back to have Tommy do more work to the car!
This talk about the trans fluid change below has me thinking I'll need to go back to Tommy sooner than later. Maybe I'll have him do it in a few months.

peteinmd
11-03-2020, 04:07 PM
Is Dan Martin's shop still in service?