PDA

View Full Version : Getting lighter

74tii
09-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Other than taking off some more weight around my waist (my running milage has been down), what might be some good ways to lighten up the car for events? I already remove as much as possible out of the trunk, will the rules allow me to remove my rear seat?

I'm also thinking about getting some MOMO Street Racer front seats. Any other ideas for me to lighten my '74 200tii?

OwnedbyDuncan
09-30-2005, 09:00 PM
You might want to check with OG Racing to see what the lightest weight seat they sell is. Also you can try it on before you buy. Depends on how original you want to keep car. You can try a lighter battery. You can save a few pounds with wheels. Saving weight always costs money. Lighter weight glass which for a car of your vintage may be difficult to find and Lexan maybe illegal for street use. And finally emptying the trunk.

Dave Apker

AlfaEric
10-02-2005, 01:55 AM
Other than taking off some more weight around my waist (my running milage has been down), what might be some good ways to lighten up the car for events? I already remove as much as possible out of the trunk, will the rules allow me to remove my rear seat?

I'm also thinking about getting some MOMO Street Racer front seats. Any other ideas for me to lighten my '74 200tii?
Didn't you win by about 2 seconds at the last event? Wasn't that enough? If you keep beating us like that, the other people in our class might start having to mod our cars to keep up. I liked not having to spend money to be competitive (if you can call my results that). This season has really been forcing me to be a better driver.

---Eric

SMOODY
10-03-2005, 07:09 AM
Eric -

Don't you see what he is doing. He is trying to lighten the car so Andrea can beat you too. :tongue:

Steve

hoyabmw
10-03-2005, 08:14 AM
This season has really been forcing me to be a better driver.

---Eric

You call that being a better driver??? um...ok :)

Kevin

AlfaEric
10-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Eric -

Don't you see what he is doing. He is trying to lighten the car so Andrea can beat you too. :tongue:

Steve
I think she has been gaining a solid second every event. Now that she has started driving without him I wouldn't be surprised if she beat me. Of course I'm already prepared for that... http://www.turnzero.com/technical_resources.php?resource=racing_excuse_generator

---Eric

AlfaEric
10-03-2005, 08:31 AM
You call that being a better driver??? um...ok :)

Kevin
dang.

:icon_fing

---Eric

NoSoup4U
10-03-2005, 09:08 AM

Tires and wheels -- get rid of the unsprung weight, 1 lb unsprung = 10 lbs removed (typically speaking). For instance, if your wheels weigh lik 21 lbs now and you go down to say, Kosei K1's - 16 lbs (thinking 15") -- that's like saving 200 lbs overall ... :)

AlfaEric
10-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Any other ideas for me to lighten my '74 200tii?
Your car has too much paint and metal. Stop washing/waxing it and let rust take car of lightening the car naturally. My car is a '91 and you can clearly see it is well on its way to being a very light car. If you need help, I might be willing to trade cars. :biggrin:

---Eric

bren
10-03-2005, 02:19 PM

You can review the rules for SCCA Street Touring here: http://scca.org/_filelibrary/File/2005SoloRules.pdf