PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in this type of format?

NoSoup4U
08-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if it is possible to design a course that say, allows 2 runs in one direction, and allows you to reverse it completely in the second direction for the last two runs.

Just a thought since we will have Ripken -- might be kind of cool to do that; thus allowing one to adapt to a different situation so quickly ... maybe do 3 runs each direction ... since, it should be cooler in Ripken time and we typically start around 9:45 but still finish at 2:30 ... so, if we started on time, we could probably give everyone 6 runs ... and make those FULL days since we'll have the lot to 5:00 p.m.

Just a thought ... might as well get our money's worth out of doing that lot ... maybe also charge $5 more for the two extra runs ... that's worth it!

bren
08-24-2005, 05:44 PM
One problem would be that there are a lot of novices who have enough trouble staying on course when going in only one direction.

Biggins
08-24-2005, 05:51 PM
For what it's worth, I like the idea... and I really like the Ripken lot.

AlfaEric
08-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if it is possible to design a course that say, allows 2 runs in one direction, and allows you to reverse it completely in the second direction for the last two runs.

Just a thought since we will have Ripken -- might be kind of cool to do that; thus allowing one to adapt to a different situation so quickly ... maybe do 3 runs each direction ... since, it should be cooler in Ripken time and we typically start around 9:45 but still finish at 2:30 ... so, if we started on time, we could probably give everyone 6 runs ... and make those FULL days since we'll have the lot to 5:00 p.m.

Just a thought ... might as well get our money's worth out of doing that lot ... maybe also charge $5 more for the two extra runs ... that's worth it!
Swapping the start/stop cables might slow things down a bit. It would also increase setup time since we would need to test and adjust for both directions.

Yes, we have been finishing VERY early but since it is summer we haven't been completely filling all the heats.

Our first event at Ripken is Chapterfest. I think we should probably consider letting more cars in each heat since that event is typically full / overfilled.

---Eric

woodym3
08-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Our first event at Ripken is Chapterfest. I think we should probably consider letting more cars in each heat since that event is typically full / overfilled.

---Eric[/QUOTE]
But how many people will go to South Philly for this event?
(of course I will be coming from Greensboro, NC for it)

AlfaEric
08-25-2005, 08:28 AM
It's not that far... At least the lot is nice. Maybe we will get some people down from Philly. :)

---Eric

Rafgar
08-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Our first event at Ripken is Chapterfest.
---Eric

Woody,

ChapterFest (the first Ripkin event) is in October.

The September event (the Saturday after O'Fest) is at Bowie.

See, you won't have a problem driving up from Greensboro. ;)

AlfaEric
08-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Woody,

ChapterFest (the first Ripkin event) is in October.

The September event (the Saturday after O'Fest) is at Bowie.

See, you won't have a problem driving up from Greensboro. ;)
Good call... I keep forgetting Oktoberfest is in September.

---Eric

old skool
08-26-2005, 01:33 PM
9:45-2:30 and 6 runs?!?!?
Man, I can't wait until I move.

AlfaEric
08-26-2005, 01:46 PM
9:45-2:30 and 6 runs?!?!?
Man, I can't wait until I move.
9:45-2:30 is what we have been running lately but we have only been doing 4 timed runs. There was PLENTY of time for fun runs at the last event. Participation drops during the summer months. This is probably a good thing since standing outside in 100+ degree temps until 5 would be more than I could take.

We do run split heats so you work for 1/2 of the heat then drive the other half. This is a little different that other areas but we like it since people don't have to stay the entire day if they don't want to.

---Eric

old skool
08-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Oh man....we have 150-175+ cars, you work half the day and it is from around 7:30-5:30, sun, or torrential downpours. Oh and we get 4 runs if we are lucky...very rarely do we get more than that.

AlfaEric
08-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Oh man....we have 150-175+ cars, you work half the day and it is from around 7:30-5:30, sun, or torrential downpours. Oh and we get 4 runs if we are lucky...very rarely do we get more than that.
We run fewer cars, split the day into 3 heats and only require you to work for 1/2 your heat. We might start running more cars if events start over-filling again. The more people that show up and help setup/tear down/run the events, the more cars we can run or the more runs we can provide. :biggrin:

---Eric

old skool
08-26-2005, 02:18 PM
That sounds awesome. How late into the year do you run events?

AlfaEric
08-26-2005, 02:28 PM
That sounds awesome. How late into the year do you run events?
Our last autocross this year is November 19th.

---Eric

old skool
08-26-2005, 05:28 PM
And I have to pay $37 right now. This just keeps getting better.

RED//MSHOE
08-27-2005, 01:07 PM
One problem would be that there are a lot of novices who have enough trouble staying on course when going in only one direction.

I just heard your V710's crying....

74tii
09-30-2005, 08:03 PM
I like the idea. A lot of issues raised, seat time in the car is an issue. But, I get very little time in my own 1974 2002tii, but manage to do ok. I'd like to see how folks do in a classic such as that with no power brakes or steering, no traction control, etc. Guess that is what go karts are for.

Doug

M-technik-3
10-01-2005, 09:18 AM
I like the idea too, but we will have to raise more funds for cones, and have people on time to marshall a course that's twice the size.

Will attend's have time to do an all day event. I for one would love to get more than 4 runs in session. But most of my weekends are tied up with flying or family stuff. Fact of life these days, "We are just to busy"