PDA

View Full Version : 330i ZHP, overall opinions on them

M-technik-3
07-23-2005, 11:15 AM
I am considering getting a used one next year, as my wife doesn't like to ride in my E30's except the Vert so, this would be viable option slightly longer wheelbase. Comfortable, sporty, 6spd for me room, for my kids but not much more.

Are there known problems with them? I have not heard of any.

Opinions good or bad are very welcome.

Thanks.

Biggins
07-23-2005, 01:19 PM
I am considering getting a used one next year, as my wife doesn't like to ride in my E30's except the Vert so, this would be viable option slightly longer wheelbase. Comfortable, sporty, 6spd for me room, for my kids but not much more.

Are there known problems with them? I have not heard of any.

Opinions good or bad are very welcome.

Thanks.

YES. Get one!!! I don't know too much about them, but I'm planning to get one 2-4 years from now once I can track down a solid and dependable track car.

Also, the price on them should be dropping dramatically (well under $30k) with the release of the E90.

*Chris

OwnedbyDuncan
07-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Watch out for the trim around the doors, control arms, clutch and tranny.My brother has had problems with all the above on his E46. Trannie and the control arms were replaced under warranty.

M-technik-3
07-23-2005, 01:51 PM
The six speeds are dying? Why?

Nick325xiT 5spd
07-23-2005, 02:49 PM
I've not heard of any systematic transmission problems outside of the E46 M3. (Mostly SMG eating synchros.)

The ZHP is a very nice car, so long as you can find a way to tolerate that abominable open diff. It drives me apeshit in my 323, and you'll have more power.

M-technik-3
07-23-2005, 03:33 PM
I have a M50 powered E30 with S50 cams that I'll be keeping. Power is not a major factor. Open diff yuck hmm maybe M coupe diff will that work in a E46? I really don't pay much attention to the newer cars.

Like em but open diff on their budget m3 4 door? That's lame, traction control must be via brake dynamics correct?

Nick325xiT 5spd
07-23-2005, 06:51 PM
You can either fit the entire rear axle and subframe from an E46 M3 or have one custome built. Either way, you spend $3-4K.

BTW, tomorrow doesn't work that well for scales. I'll be leaving early in the morning for Aberdeen, and won't be back until the evening.