PDA

View Full Version : Rocks and NOVA traffic dont mix

bwiz
06-30-2005, 06:33 AM
On my way into work today I heard that dreaded "tink" on my windshield and sure enough there was a nickel size spider web just wanting to grow. By time I got in this morning the chip grew into a 7 inch crack. Not only that a Arlington County Officer pulled me over and gave me a safety warning to have it fixed in 14 days. With the heat the crack is sure to grow. The question I have is should i have any glass company replace my windshield or should i go through one of the local dealers. I have a 01 530i with the autosensing wipes.

Any thoughts?

ob325
06-30-2005, 06:47 AM
On my way into work today I heard that dreaded "tink" on my windshield and sure enough there was a nickel size spider web just wanting to grow. By time I got in this morning the chip grew into a 7 inch crack. Not only that a Arlington County Officer pulled me over and gave me a safety warning to have it fixed in 14 days. With the heat the crack is sure to grow. The question I have is should i have any glass company replace my windshield or should i go through one of the local dealers. I have a 01 530i with the autosensing wipes.

Any thoughts?
When I had a non-repairable chip in my windshield, I just went through my insurance company as they had a contract with a glass repair firm for discounted rates. I was even able to ask for an OEM replacment windshield. All I had to do was pay the comprehensive deductible. Actually, the whole replacement was less than my deductible. There was no impact on the price of my insurance. And they came to my office to do the repair so it really didn't impact me any.

OwnedbyDuncan
06-30-2005, 07:43 AM
I have had bad experiences with glass companies that do insurance work. Poor fitting windshield, failure to let the window set properely, poor fitting gaskets.
Most new car dealers use the same glass companies insurance companies do.
I am lucky that my mechanic does glass work for old and good customers.

1996 328ti
06-30-2005, 07:52 AM
I used Banner glass. They are all over the place. The location I used in Silver Spring did an excellent job. I don't think it is that difficult to replace windshields if they use the proper gaskets. BMW windshields are just glued into place, at least on my car. As long as they use OE parts whenever possible you will not have a problem. I'd rather have a place that all they do is windshields than a dealer that tries to do everything.

BTW- I've had 2 windshields replaced since 1990. Both companies did an excellent job.

hoyabmw
06-30-2005, 08:06 AM
I've used Perfection Auto Glass in Sterling twice--once for insurance repair of my E30 windshield, once for out of pocket for a VW Golf. The Golf had rust all around the windshield (it was leaking), and they cleaned it up and fixed it with a properly installed PPG windsheild with no leaks (advised selling the car before the leaks came back, but it died before then anyway.) I know several other people who have used them, some with fleet vehicles that get new windshields about every 2 years due to all the mileage, and they've all been very happy.

http://www.fairfaxcountywebsite.com/PerfectionAutoGlass.htm
Perfection Auto Glass
21600 Cedar Lane
Suite 101
Sterling, Virginia 20166
Phone: 703-709-7773

Kevin

OwnedbyDuncan
06-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Actually one of the places I used was Banner Glass in Silver Spring back in 88.
My insurance company has no problem with my mechanic doing it.

Worst experience was with the bonded in window on my GTI.

bwiz
07-07-2005, 05:25 AM
Just a follow up. I actually was able to get my windshield repaired fairly quickly. I ended up going with one of my insurance companies preferred windshield replacement companies. I used Allstate Auto Glass in Fairfax and requested OEM glass and they actually went to BMW Fairfax bought the glass and BMW trim kit. No complaints so far.

In my search for companies, I contacted BMW of Arlington and Fairfax and neither does windshield replacement in house. Actually they both subcontract it out to D.G Glass. Their number is 301-843-1173. I felt pretty comfortable talking to them and one of the first questions the person asked was for the last 7 digits to my VIN so she made sure they had the right glass. Believe it not but some places I called didnt even ask if I had the rain sensing wipers or not...which I do. I would have used D.G. but they were not able to schedule me for two weeks out. By the end of the day my little chip ended up being a crack across my windshield about 18 inches so I wasn't going to wait 2 weeks.

1996 328ti
07-07-2005, 05:30 AM
Just a follow up. I actually was able to get my windshield repaired fairly quickly.That's good to hear. Just let the glue dry and I doubt you will have any problems. For a place that all the door are windshields it got to be a no brainer for them.

SMOODY
08-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Guess what happened to my 330i this weekend. My wife was coming home from the mall on Saturday and the minivan in front of her kicked up a rock. It hit the windshield and cracked it. The crack is about 6 inches and growing.

How much is a new windshield going to dent my wallet?

AlfaEric
08-29-2005, 11:04 AM
Guess what happened to my 330i this weekend. My wife was coming home from the mall on Saturday and the minivan in front of her kicked up a rock. It hit the windshield and cracked it. The crack is about 6 inches and growing.

Contact your insurance company. Some of them will actually replace it for free (no deductible or premium adjustment). It's worth a shot.

---Eric

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-29-2005, 11:05 AM

Get it to a glass shop fast, and they *may* still be able to just repair it.

ob325
08-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Contact your insurance company. Some of them will actually replace it for free (no deductible or premium adjustment). It's worth a shot.

---Eric
Be sure and tell your insurance company you want an OEM windshield. I asked for that and got it. Total cost was less than my $250 deductible.

NoSoup4U
08-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Sorry to hear Smoody. :( Try to avoid following cars with big tires, i.e., mine. :D I can kick up some REALLY BIG rocks with 33" A/T tires. In fact, people dodge stuff on the road ... I run over it and kick it right up to the person following behind me. Jeeps just can't turn that quickly and it's better for me to run right over it than to try and do a swerve manuever.

AlfaEric
08-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Sorry to hear Smoody. :( Try to avoid following cars with big tires, i.e., mine. :D I can kick up some REALLY BIG rocks with 33" A/T tires. In fact, people dodge stuff on the road ... I run over it and kick it right up to the person following behind me. Jeeps just can't turn that quickly and it's better for me to run right over it than to try and do a swerve manuever.
So, if I follow you... I get rocks/road debris thrown at my car. If you follow me, I'm blinded by your headlights. :mad:

---Eric

SMOODY
08-29-2005, 04:16 PM
So, if I follow you... I get rocks/road debris thrown at my car. If you follow me, I'm blinded by your headlights. :mad:

---Eric
Yes Eric, that is what he is saying. Basically you just need to give him lots of space. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the inputs guys. I will let you know how it works out.

NoSoup4U
08-29-2005, 10:00 PM
I try not to kick up debris; but, can't help it ... besides ... cars should know better than to follow within 5 feet of me considering I don't have ABS either ... or A/C ... I'm poor :(

Hey, that's why I like my car ... people give LOTS of space. If I drive the other cars, it's like a bullseye is painted ... BMW -- turn right at it ... he'll move. It's nice to be on the giving end at times :D

motomoron
06-16-2009, 01:15 PM
I'll resurrect this thread.

DG Auto Glass did an awesome job on my '98 M3 coupe last year. Dennis went out of his way to find a perfect piece of OEM glass, and was a total craftsman. I broke a windshield today, and it took a while to find DG's identity and # again, but even though it was 2-1/2 times the cost of Safelite, I'm pleased to give them the work.

Top marks for DG Glass.

Luda
06-16-2009, 02:40 PM
I try not to kick up debris; but, can't help it ... besides ... cars should know better than to follow within 5 feet of me considering I don't have ABS either ... or A/C ... I'm poor :(

Hey, that's why I like my car ... people give LOTS of space. If I drive the other cars, it's like a bullseye is painted ... BMW -- turn right at it ... he'll move. It's nice to be on the giving end at times :D

i had that issue with my wrangler on 31" swampers, threw a rock into a buddies windshield when he was following me, the rock itself was a good 1.5" in diameter, needless to the windshield needed to be replaced. those swampers threw up alot of debris