PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone do for a living?

Jed
08-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Let's fire up this forum a little and spark up some conversation!

I'm a business analyst (also NASD registered/licensed) for a investment firm-I specialize in asset management/institutional trading (buy-side) technology solutions.

Been in finance since I graduated college-started off as a financial planner, worked on a sales desk for a mutual fund company, then worked as a trader for 5 years during the mid to late 90's bull market (where I ate a roll of Tums everyday-seriously!), then went into the technology side of the biz about 5 years ago.

ChosenGSR
08-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Interesting Jed, I am a Programmer downtown Baltmore. I guess I am not too far from what you did/do. I mainly write software/asps dealing with NSCC trading. Graduated UMBC a few months ago.

Pete
08-04-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm a business consultant at a company in Bethesda.

Pete

Maverick
08-04-2004, 11:57 AM
I manage a Target store up here in Aberdeen, MD. Been w/ Target about nine years, prior to that I was in the Marine Corps for 8 yrs.

bren
08-04-2004, 01:10 PM
I work for "the man"

Jed
08-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Interesting Jed, I am a Programmer downtown Baltmore. I guess I am not too far from what you did/do. I mainly write software/asps dealing with NSCC trading. Graduated UMBC a few months ago.

Really! Do you work for a software application company or directly for an investment firm?

There are only 2 real major ones (now that Alex Brown/Deutche Bank has moved to NYC for the most part and any Ops support and developement work is done in Hunt Valley) based out of downtown Baltimore. Used to work for 1 and now working for the other.

ChosenGSR
08-04-2004, 04:15 PM

Really! Do you work for a software application company or directly for an investment firm?

There are only 2 real major ones (now that Alex Brown/Deutche Bank has moved to NYC for the most part and any Ops support and developement work is done in Hunt Valley) based out of downtown Baltimore. Used to work for 1 and now working for the other.

I guess we do a little of both. www.gailweiss.com

Jed
08-04-2004, 04:56 PM
Very cool! Sounds very specialized. I see that a couple of the higher ups are from the companies that I work/worked for. Working with mutual fund trading you probably are familiar with DST as well I imagine.

How do you like it there?

BahnBaum
08-04-2004, 08:03 PM
I manage a Target store up here in Aberdeen, MD. Been w/ Target about nine years, prior to that I was in the Marine Corps for 8 yrs.

Hey, I shop at your store all the time!

Alex

ChosenGSR
08-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Very cool! Sounds very specialized. I see that a couple of the higher ups are from the companies that I work/worked for. Working with mutual fund trading you probably are familiar with DST as well I imagine.

How do you like it there?

Yeah I am somewhat familiar with DST. I like it alright, I hate downtown and the hastle associated with driving there very day. But otherwise I can't compain being 22 out of school making good cash for my age.

Jed
08-05-2004, 09:53 PM
Too funny. You do the Water Street happy hour on Fridays? I'm usually down there. Sometimes at the blackjack tables or watching my buddies play Texas Hold 'Em.

ChosenGSR
08-06-2004, 10:39 AM
Too funny. You do the Water Street happy hour on Fridays? I'm usually down there. Sometimes at the blackjack tables or watching my buddies play Texas Hold 'Em.

No I haven't, I rarely get out to the bars in all honesty... not much of a drinker anymore. We should meet up sometime though...

Maverick
08-06-2004, 12:38 PM

Alex

Hey, stop in and say hey sometime. I'm there everyday except Thursday and you'll know I'm there if you see my '01 330 parked at the end of the lot, kinda in line with the front doors...it's silver

Jed
08-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Is this the Target that is up the street from Ripken Stadium on 22 ?

Doby
08-06-2004, 01:06 PM
I get paid to reach the end of the Internet. Been 4 times, working on the 5th. :D

Maverick
08-06-2004, 04:26 PM

Why, yes...yes it is.

BahnBaum
08-06-2004, 11:47 PM

Alex

Hey, stop in and say hey sometime. I'm there everyday except Thursday and you'll know I'm there if you see my '01 330 parked at the end of the lot, kinda in line with the front doors...it's silver

If I walk in and ask for Maverick, will anyone know who I'm talking about?

:grin:

Alex

Maverick
08-10-2004, 05:19 AM
Heh, no, but if you ask for Ken...you might not get those quizzical looks :shock:

1996 328ti
08-10-2004, 06:45 AM
I've talked about this before.

How about a get together at the target some Saturday night.
Maybe I can swing a BBQ or something.

Jed
08-10-2004, 08:28 AM
I've talked about this before.

How about a get together at the target some Saturday night.
Maybe I can swing a BBQ or something.

Steven are you talking about the Target in Pikesville?

Maverick
08-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Steven, you and I talked about this before, back when I was temporarily at the Pikesville Target, but I am no longer there. My parking lot at Aberdeen is certainly open any time, just let me know...as for Pikesville, might be tough but maybe we can swing it on top of their parking garage...but I'd have to talk to Rich the store team leader...I realize Aberdeen might be a haul, but it's a really low volume store, so we wouldn't be in the way because there really isn't a ton of cars here. We could use the far corner of the lot or even the side lot kinda behind the building.

Jed
08-10-2004, 01:42 PM

Why, yes...yes it is.

Actually I've been near there at the Royal Farms across the parking lot when I've been at autoxes at Ripken Stadium!

Protus
08-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Just another computer guy.....
Currently working at one of the unnamed Financial institutions (T. Rowe Price) :) Two days left here, going to USi to be the Assitant Ops Mgr, whatever that is...hehe

AlfaEric
08-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Software developer (Contracted to the Govt.).

---Eric

AlfaEric
08-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Just another compter guy.....
Currently working at one of the unnamed Financial institutions (T. Rowe Price) :) Two days left here, going to USi to be the Assitant Ops Mgr, whatever that is...hehe
Congrats on the new job!

---Eric

Jed
08-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Just another computer guy.....

Hahaha! After all this time, it's a good thing I finally caught up with you when I stopped over at T Rowe Price the other day! The lady wouldn't give me your extension. I actually still have my T Rowe Price badge from several years ago sitting around somewhere.

When I parked I saw a red M3 and the DTMPower stickers first caught my attention then I saw the team.BAR decals. :lol:

shoe
08-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Might as well use this thread as an introduction:

I'm an Air Force civilian working the in the Network Defense biz in Arlington. I'm new to the world of BMW cars, but have owned an R1100S m/c for a couple of years. Picked up an '04 330i back in late April and will be taking it to the body shop tomorrow because some lame-brained moron hasn't mastered the simple art of parking their car! :evil: :mad:

Anyway, I'm planning to do the driver's school on the Shenandoah Circuit in October if it's ready. And I'm thinking autocross looks like some serious fun, too.

Cheers,

--Jim

dinomite
08-17-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm a student at the Rochester Institute of Technology studying computer science; I'm headed back for my 3rd year in September. This summer, I'm working for VeriSign, a big time internet company.

BMWO
09-13-2004, 06:06 PM
I'll bring the old topic back! :grin: New here. Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I work down in Southern Calvert County as a chemist at the Calvert Cliffs nuclear plant.

Pinecone
09-22-2004, 02:11 AM

Alex

Time to go bug him. :)

Pinecone
09-22-2004, 02:14 AM
I work for the US Department of State providing occupational safety and health support to our Embassies and Consulates all over the world. Which means I travel a LOT, which cuts into my time to autocross, track adn race (Spec Racer Ford). This is being written remote from Brussels, Belgium.

I used to work for FEMA doing similar things, but in support of disaster operations. PRior to that I was a consulant in Occupational Safety and Health.

A LONG time ago I used to fly A-10s for the MD ANG.

greg sober
09-22-2004, 08:55 PM
regional fitness/personal training director for Merritt Athletic Clubs

JLee
09-23-2004, 08:22 PM
Well, lets see, I work for a company that has been on the front page (or page 2) of the Wall Street Journal or Washington Post the last two days...

Friggin corporate america... :smt011

Anyway, I approve loans on apartment buildings...and before you all start asking me for a loan, my minimum is $25 million...

Jeff

BMWO
09-25-2004, 02:29 PM
Well, lets see, I work for a company that has been on the front page (or page 2) of the Wall Street Journal or Washington Post the last two days...

Friggin corporate america... :smt011

Anyway, I approve loans on apartment buildings...and before you all start asking me for a loan, my minimum is $25 million...

JeffSorry don't read the paper much. Which company? I have a brother that works for Washington Mutual in the corporate mortgage realm also. He does rather well now a days.

M3Kerry
11-16-2004, 01:30 PM
I am a computer pgmr for a fed law enforcement agency in Washington, DC.

pseto
11-18-2004, 11:40 AM
I work at Verizon as a Finance manager in Silver Spring, MD. Good to meet everyone.

erickblackwelder
12-17-2004, 11:06 AM
I am an ass model for Abercrombie & Fitch.

I model underwear for the catalogs.

My ass is always the one on the left in the photos.

David///M
12-17-2004, 06:00 PM
BMW Sales in Silver Spring. One of the keys to success in sales is product knowledge. I take extended lunch drives to ensure I stay well informed about the product. Happy holidays.

schosports
12-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Assistant Parts Manager, BMW of Towson.
Any issues, service and parts info, feel free to give me call or write anytime.

Bill Schofield
410-296-7900 ext. 220
bill.schofield@<hidden>

radiosteve
12-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Product Manager for customer software at firm in Columbia.

Just moved here from New England - dual member of the Boston Area club and NCC club.

Ice racing in NH, anyone?

1996 328ti
12-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Musical intrument electronic tech.
Mostly keyboards.

Jed
12-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Musical intrument electronic tech.
Mostly keyboards.

My friend used to have this really cool keyboard back in the early 90's called the e-Max. It had a disk drive and you can load in different samples and sounds.

SMOODY
12-28-2004, 11:40 AM
I am an Information Systems Architect for Lockheed Martin.

John in VA
01-03-2005, 12:23 PM
I'm a chiropractor, with a family practice out here in Purcellville VA.

--------
'74 tii
'85 325e
'86 535i

dsames
01-04-2005, 10:07 PM
I've been a computer security researcher with McAfee, Inc - for almost 7 years. Mostly doing government sponsored R&D.

Please note that I don't do customer support _or_ product development :)

Dave

330x
01-04-2005, 11:07 PM
I guess this puts me on the conservative side. I am a scientist and work on measurement science and technology. My specific area is the study of fire and the threat it poses to people (occupants) and the environment. Not exciting but very interesting. Think automobile fire, house fire, fires in airplanes. ... But not forest fires.

JRG_in_MD
01-05-2005, 09:45 AM
I'm an Electronics Engineer in Baltimore. I work on various military systems. Love Bimmers for their excellent balance of technology and drivability.

Rich
00 M5
94 F-150 pickup (how's that for two ends of the automotive spectrum)

mototodo
01-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Aviation economist at a small consulting firm in Old Town Alexandria.

Todd

cdesautels
01-05-2005, 03:03 PM
I build websites and multimedia for a design firm in Bethesda.

dinomite
01-11-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm a computer science major at the Rochester Institute of Technology, graduating 2006.

mike
01-13-2005, 09:53 PM
Mechanical Engineer for the Navy. Don't worry I'm with the government I'm here to help.

'95 325i
'01 330i
'03 Chevy 2500HD

mutandis
01-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Hi all, new to the board - been in the NCC for about a year now...

I'm a used car salesman. I got sucked into this job because I'm nice to people, and my good friend owns the dealership.

The most fun is going to auction. If anyone ever wants to trudge along to auction with me, I can buy you a vehicle at wholesale. We only buy from Manheim, and they sell roughly 15-20,000 cars a week so I'm always locating something for someone.

Otherwise I'm paying down my debt to my main man, MBNA so I can enter college this Fall and finally get my degree out of the way.

Hope to see you all at Summit Point soon,
Dave

CraigV528i
01-21-2005, 01:40 PM
I work in the Fire Protection division of an engineering firm in Parkville. I also have a part time gig on the side service gym equipment for various "Curves" locations in the area.

dgtheskier
01-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Retired Fed Civil Service type (most at HQ USAF in Pentagon), now live
in Woodstock VA (Shenandoah Valley). Participate in NCC 'cause you
all are closer than the Charlottesville Chapter!!

Dave Gurtner
1997 318ti mit CA roof (Out here in da country, I use it like a small,
agile pickup :icon_cool)

Jesse
01-24-2005, 03:12 PM
I am an engineer for Verizon. First post here, but know most of you monkeys from somewhere else!

Jed
01-24-2005, 07:55 PM
I am an engineer for Verizon. First post here, but know most of you monkeys from somewhere else!

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh...Jesse!

Glad you finally signed on!

John V
01-25-2005, 08:46 AM
I'm an electrical engineer with a local defense contractor. I design RF modules for use in radar arrays.

John V

Fred
01-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Software product manager for hospital information systems. Recently laid-off, so . . . . . . maybe next week something else.

devilbones
01-26-2005, 08:08 PM
I am a field service representative for the US government. I am currently serving as an exchange administrator and I am a former Marine.

RED//MSHOE
01-29-2005, 12:48 PM
I sell drugs in Baltimore City!!! East Baltimore, come down to the corner of Eager and Broadway on your way to Fells Point. If you show me your BMW CCA membership card you will get a free $5 "ho" with your purchase!!!

You can't miss me, I sell out of my little red clown shoe. Yeah, I try and keep things low key!

Just kidding!!! I work for MENTAL MOTORWERKS!!!!

Jed
01-30-2005, 10:43 AM
I sell drugs in Baltimore City!!! East Baltimore, come down to the corner of Eager and Broadway on your way to Fells Point. If you show me your BMW CCA membership card you will get a free $5 "ho" with your purchase!!!

You can't miss me, I sell out of my little red clown shoe. Yeah, I try and keep things low key!

Just kidding!!! I work for MENTAL MOTORWERKS!!!!

Sweet! Mental Motorwerks!!!!!

I gotta get a site going on for you guys! :)

Barry
01-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Let's fire up this forum a little and spark up some conversation!
"What does everyone do for a living?"

I too finsihed a career in federal service. I now work part-time as theContracts Manager for a small IT company. Part-time gives me time topursue SCCA racing and high performance events at the track.
Here's my racecar:

http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SCCA%20Racing/MARRSI_04/gt/pages/MRRS01_04_0067.htm

But my daily driver is a 2004 M3 with a Borla exhaust, stainless steelbraided brakelines, & blacked out front & side grills. Look forme at a BMW CCA event.
Barry