Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
BMW Silver Spring Oil Service (M car versus non M car)

Thread: BMW Silver Spring Oil Service (M car versus non M car)

BMW Silver Spring Oil Service (M car versus non M car)

Hello all,

Today I called BMW Silver Spring to schedule oil service on my E92 M3. I noticed on their site that they had an oil service coupon for 8 cylinder cars that covers up to 10Qts of oil. I know these coupons don't apply to M cars but I figured since the lady who answered the call was being so helpful that I would ask, what is the difference between changing oil on an M car with 8 cylinders versus a non M car with 8 cylinders. She politely asked if she could put me on hold to get that information. When she returns she informs me that M cars take more oil and that is why it costs more. To my knowledge my e92 M3 takes 9 Qts. Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between changing oil in an M car is versus a non M car?

There is a difference in the cost of the oil per quart for the ///M - it's ///More expensive!
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    There is a difference in the cost of the oil per quart for the ///M - it's ///More expensive!
    I suppose it is a bit more and a pain to find when you need to top off. ///Many thanks for the response, John.

The correct oil for your car is 10W-60, which is more expensive than non-M cars. This is specific to M cars prior to 2014. The overall process of changing oil isn't any different, however, your M3 will have an extra drain plug, one for front/rear sump. They are located right next to each other, so you can't miss it.

Also, while you have to buy 9 quarts, only put 8 1/2 quarts in initially and then drive the car. The oil sensor will eventually tell you how much oil you need to add, if any. You do not want to overfill b/c the sensor is very sensitive.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    Also, while you have to buy 9 quarts, only put 8 1/2 quarts in initially and then drive the car. The oil sensor will eventually tell you how much oil you need to add, if any. You do not want to overfill b/c the sensor is very sensitive.
    Another important oil level sensor tip; oil level isn't measured until oil temperature is up to normal operating range. If you change your oil and try to check the level immediately, you'll just get BMW's dashboard equivalent of a wait cursor.

I mention this because I've seen people complain that "checking oil level takes forever" when in fact they're not waiting for the measurement, they're just waiting for the oil to warm up enough for the measurement to be valid. Note: I'm assuming this is true on an E92 M3 because this is most definitely true on my E91 328i xDrive.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesAustin View Post
    Another important oil level sensor tip; oil level isn't measured until oil temperature is up to normal operating range. If you change your oil and try to check the level immediately, you'll just get BMW's dashboard equivalent of a wait cursor.

I mention this because I've seen people complain that "checking oil level takes forever" when in fact they're not waiting for the measurement, they're just waiting for the oil to warm up enough for the measurement to be valid. Note: I'm assuming this is true on an E92 M3 because this is most definitely true on my E91 328i xDrive.
    Definitely true for e92 M3
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    Definitely true for e92 M3
    Now if only all that electrickery could INSPECT our oil, not just measure how much we have...

Now if only all that electrickery could INSPECT our oil, not just measure how much we have...
    That's what the oil analysis services are for (Blackstone, Amsoil, etc.) They can tell how well your oil is holding up at the interval when you send them a sample. We're on our first car without a dipstick (F30 with N26), and that makes me nervous!
    Last edited by John in VA; 03-25-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

That's what the oil analysis services are for (Blackstone, Amsoil, etc.) They can tell how well your oil is holding up at the interval when you send them a sample. We're on our first car without a dipstick (F30 with N26), and that makes me nervous!
    Yeah, I know. I even have a couple of bottles of stuff that I was supposed to send to Blackstone before I kinda sorta forgot which fluid was in which bottle. But BMW makes you drain your oil to even get the sample to send to Blackstone. I want to get a sample onto a white paper towel and take a good hard look, without putting the car up on a lift first. Oh well...

I want to get a sample onto a white paper towel and take a good hard look, without putting the car up on a lift first.
    If you open the oil filter housing & pull the lid with the filter you should have enough oil dripping off the filter to collect onto a paper towel.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

If you open the oil filter housing & pull the lid with the filter you should have enough oil dripping off the filter to collect onto a paper towel.
    Yeah, I know, but it's the principle of the thing. I shouldn't have to do all that just to look at my oil.

Not to mention that if I had a dipstick, I could use my oil extractor to change my oil through the dipstick tube and not have to use a DIY Day slot each time...

Thread Information