Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Who will install my cooling parts near Arlington?

Thread: Who will install my cooling parts near Arlington?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by watou View Post
    Pros: Carries heat about the same as normal coolant, but decreases operating pressure in the cooling system to almost nothing, so a burst hose or radiator becomes very unlikely. Since propylene glycol (the "PG" in NPG+) has a very high boiling point, the engine never gets so hot as to cause it to expand to burst a weak hose or radiator and boil off. As long as your cooling system is tight, risk of sudden cooling failure is reduced to nearly zero.

Cons: Evans NPG+ is expensive and hard to find in an urgent situation. Incompatible with water and normal coolant (ethylene glycol) so you can't mix them (Evans says no more than 5% volume of old coolant can be in the system when you switch to NPG+). NPG+ is a smaller molecule than normal coolant so there is the risk of it seeping out in places where normal coolant wouldn't.

I am going to pick up the car later this morning and will post my observations.
    Thanks for the information. This is interesting stuff, this is something to possible do when you replace the entire cooling system (overhaul). How much is this going to cost you if I may ask.

Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by jdauria View Post
    Thanks for the information. This is interesting stuff, this is something to possible do when you replace the entire cooling system (overhaul). How much is this going to cost you if I may ask.
    All new radiator and heater hoses, radiator, water pump, thermostat, fan blade, expansion tank, gaskets and O-rings, 4 gallons of NPG+, and replacing two cracked belts, about $900 total, most of that from AutoHausAZ. If I'd done it myself, a few hours and a floor jack would have been it. But I wanted to go with reputable pros to do the work, and that ain't cheap, as they say. But seeing as the patch on my old cracked radiator had given out, the time had come to do a proper repair that ought not ever need to be revisited (famous last words). More later....

Thread Information