Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Alexandria Car Tax

Thread: Alexandria Car Tax

Question Alexandria Car Tax

I'll be moving from Michigan to Alexandria, VA this summer to start my new job. I've heard there is a property tax on cars registered in Alexandria, but I haven't been able to figure out just how much that's going to be. Would someone here please explain how to calculate this tax to me? Thanks!

The state of Virginia has a tax system in which you will pay once a year based upon the value of your vehicle. The newer the vehicle the more you will pay... Additionally each city can have it's own lessor tax system which you could be required to pay. I used to live in Virginia Beach and paid the state vehicle tax plus an additional city tax. Lastly you will be required to get your vehicle inspected once a year in Virginia. Just my two and a half cents worth...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

According the alexandriava.gov website, the tax is 4.75% of the car's assessed value. I drive a 2011 335i, and the Blue Book value looks to be in the ballpark of $36,000. Does that mean that I will really owe the city of Alexandria $36,000 * 0.0475 = $1,710 every year? That seems a little steep!

That's why I live in Maryland cause I don't want to pay those kind of prices to drive my car. You could always live in Maryland and commute to Alexandria. Just a thought!
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

There's a bit of car-tax relief, so you "only" pay 37% on the first 20k. So it's really 20,000*.0475*.37 + 16,000*.0475 = 1,111.50. You may also want to contact the city to determine what they assess the value as. It may come in below the 36k.

Quote Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
    That's why I live in Maryland cause I don't want to pay those kind of prices to drive my car. You could always live in Maryland and commute to Alexandria. Just a thought!
    +1
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    +1
    You know the blended tax rate in VA is lower right? SMDH.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    You know the blended tax rate in VA is lower right? SMDH.
    ...but you'd still be on the wrong side of the Potomac

Read the Alexandria web page http://alexandriava.gov/Cartax#calculation and you'll see you pay 37% on the first 20,000 of assessed value, plus the full city tax on the remainder. The city uses the 'clean trade in value' on the NADA guide. When you register your car in VA (you have to go to a DMV office) you'll also have to get a safety inspection sticker (at a private garage licensed to do such inspections) and also go to the Alexandria City Hall to get a city tax decal (when you'll get the bad news on the local tax. Thereafter, you'll get an annual bill due by Oct 5.

Thread Information