Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Great Company found to rebuild alternator & other electrical stuff too

Thread: Great Company found to rebuild alternator & other electrical stuff too

Great Company found to rebuild alternator & other electrical stuff too

I started to have some alternator woes recently, and was quite shocked with the replacement options. I have a 2003 530, which has a Bosch alternator. New, from the dealer, this can be upto $600. With a BMWCCA discount this still sucks eggs. Numerous rebuilt ones could be found for a smig under $400, but not with OE parts. They had bearings and such from south-east Asia.

Though a thing called the "internet" I came in contact with Dave Smith, from Colorado, at http://www.smithcoelectric.com/servlet/StoreFront He was able to rebuild the alternator with OE Bosch parts (bearings, brushes, regulator & brush assy), and have it tested for a little over $300. He gave the option to rebuild it cheaper using the "other/inferior" parts for even cheaper. Do it right the first time. Use the Bosch parts.

So I decided to use http://www.smithcoelectric.com/servlet/StoreFront , and sent off the alternator. Dave gave me a prompt e-mail regarding the conditions and costs of the rebuild. Had it done, and shipped within 48 hours of approval. The box came via Fed Ex with the replacement Bosch part boxes inside to verify they were used. Unbelievable!!!!!!!

To recap. They cleaned & rebuilt my alternator, fast, with great customer service & professionalism, with better parts for less than everyone else!

Oh and they do other things like starters and such. Please check them out!
    Last edited by JC5; 12-19-2010 at 07:27 AM.
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

You'd think we'd have something like this in the area, or at least the east coast! I've used Artie's Auto Electric on Rt. 28 South as you approach Manassas, but it's been years.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

90 amp or 120 amp? Either way, even BMW of Towson has new ones (90 at $375.82 and 120 at $442.16). Certainly not $600.

Now there are two alternators, a Valeo 90 amp and Bosch 120amp. The Valeo is cheaper
    Supercharged '03 530

I liked this rebuild option on so many levels. Even with the cheapest price found on the the net, the savings is still close to $150, and the recycle aspect is great.

Now http://www.smithcoelectric.com/servlet/StoreFront will also sell just the parts. This will give a 50% savings on the Bosch alternator rebuild. With your labor, the cost drops tremendously to $150-200.

Here are the part prices quoted to me in August of 2010.

Bosch part number 0-124-515-050, here is a parts cost / availability list:

Front Bearing: $33.28 OE Bosch - Available
    Rear Bearing: $30.24 OE Bosch - Available
    Rectifier: $86.15 OE Bosch - Available
    Regulator/Brush Holder Assembly: $97.11 OE Bosch - Available
    Rotor - Unavailable in both OE and Aftermarket
    Stator - Unavailable in both OE and Aftermarket

I did not need a rectifier (converts AC to DC).
    Supercharged '03 530

Thread Information