Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 09/02/2011 - 09/04/2011 - Baltimore Grand Prix and Corral

09/02/2011 - 09/04/2011 - Baltimore Grand Prix and Corral

So what are the odds that this will happen? Anybody have any inside info?

http://www.baltimoreracingdevelopment.com

Vic

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Visit http://bgp.nccbmwcca.org

UPDATE (7/26/2011)
    Sunday-only tickets will go on sale, Mon, Aug 1st at 9am.

UPDATE (7/15/2011)
    For those who missed out on getting 2 and 3 day car corral packages, we will have a Sunday-only car corral package very shortly (hopefully within 1-2 weeks). Prices will run somewhere between $150-200 depending on whether you choose parking or not, and also include grandstand seating and paddock passes (sorry, no parade laps for Sunday-only).
    Please stay tuned for more details as a specific link will be posted to purchase these packages on either the Baltimore Gran Prix website or Motorsportreg.com.

SOLD OUT

UPDATE
    1) Contract will be executed within a week which means that all ticket sales are secured and guaranteed. BGP will handle ticket distribution and credit cards will be charged no later than Sun, Apr 17th.
    2) Please make any changes to your ticket order (both adds/deletes) by the end of this weekend, Sunday, April 10th.
    3) All subsequent corral package sales must be done on the Baltimore Grand Prix website using a specific code to identify the BMWCCA Car Corral.
    4) In addition, corral package purchases will be subject to higher corral prices and an additional BGP processing fee (7-10%)
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 08-31-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: fixed link again

It got approval today, looks like it may really happen. This might actually get me to follow IRL.

"There's going to be some very interesting racing," he said. "The city, the skyline, the harbor area it lends itself to a Monte Carlo-style race."
    Right. That's just what I think, whenever I'm in downtown Baltimore.
    Andy Miller
    1995 Avusblau M3
    1997 Alaskablau 318ti M Sport

I can walk to the track!!! They're pushing for IRL and also ALMS to join the weekend as well. I think it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
    I can walk to the track!!! They're pushing for IRL and also ALMS to join the weekend as well. I think it will happen.
    You're volunteering your place for a three day party right?
    Jonathan Thayer - jonathan.michael.thayer@gmail.com
    '99 Imola Red M Coupe, '08 Interlagos Blue Z4M Coupe

I'm there. Saving my pennies now for the best tickets I can possibly afford. I'll be trying my hardest to get into the pits..
    Last edited by civicexracer; 05-05-2010 at 09:54 PM.

wagaboutdogs.com karcepts.com ssc-tint.com

I missed the one in DC from a decade ago. If this happens, I'm going to be there!
    Mike, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP SMG, 2005 E46 325xiT

Quote Originally Posted by MPWR View Post
    Right. That's just what I think, whenever I'm in downtown Baltimore.
    Even the councilman for that district has to qualify his statements: "This event could put Baltimore on the map for all the right reasons," said Council William H. Cole IV, a chief proponent of the race, which would occur in his district.
    Mike, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP SMG, 2005 E46 325xiT

Smile Baltimore Grand Prix event gets new date, layout

Last edited by vjmvjmvjm; 08-18-2010 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Add layout.

It's strange that the pits will be between Turn 6 and Turn 8 on a 12 turn track.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    It's strange that the pits will be between Turn 6 and Turn 8 on a 12 turn track.
    Silverstone is going to look odd when they finish the new pits too, moving to the other side of the track.

I dont watch Indy, so bear with me, but how does that work when the pits are not near the starting grid? How do they properly prep the vehicles on the grid? What happens with a safety car, it'll enter the pits when it comes in and then do the cars have a secondary start line around that area to pass so racing can resume?

There were some logistical issues with the pit and paddock layout of the originally proposed track due to the Ravens/Orioles' schedules. The warehouse of Camden Yards now will be the facade to pit lane and will look really cool. From what I've heard/read, the new paddock is actually going to be inside the Convention Center. I am still curious where they will/can put temporary bleachers.

The road construction down here is crazy right now, but I cannot wait for them to finish these desperately-needed-repaved roads. I very excited and really hope this event is a resounding success. ALMS is also very likely to be racing too, but no announcement has been made yet...

Quote Originally Posted by flohtingPoint View Post
    Silverstone is going to look odd when they finish the new pits too, moving to the other side of the track.

I dont watch Indy, so bear with me, but how does that work when the pits are not near the starting grid? How do they properly prep the vehicles on the grid? What happens with a safety car, it'll enter the pits when it comes in and then do the cars have a secondary start line around that area to pass so racing can resume?
    It's not a standing start, so vehicles are never prepped on the grid. The safety car could potentially make a right turn onto Howard Street (just before the start) and return to the pits (assuming that some portion of Howard Street remains open for that purpose). It's just a detail to be worked out.

Vic

Has anyone signed up to work the race yet?
    I did. I thought I'd make an excellent smart ass golf cart driver. I wonder what "on track services" does.

Quote Originally Posted by vjmvjmvjm View Post
    It's not a standing start, so vehicles are never prepped on the grid. The safety car could potentially make a right turn onto Howard Street (just before the start) and return to the pits (assuming that some portion of Howard Street remains open for that purpose). It's just a detail to be worked out.

Vic
    So it's a double yellow pace lap and then they free the cars at the beginning? I guess that's safer for T1.

Is there any overtaking spots on this track? Like I said, I dont watch Indy, but if F1 were to run on a layout that looks like this, it'd most likely be a precession of cars.

Quote Originally Posted by flohtingPoint View Post
    So it's a double yellow pace lap and then they free the cars at the beginning? I guess that's safer for T1.

Is there any overtaking spots on this track? Like I said, I dont watch Indy, but if F1 were to run on a layout that looks like this, it'd most likely be a precession of cars.
    There are usually at least two yellow laps before the green flag is waved. Often more, if the field is ragged.

Most of the overtaking will happen in the braking zones - particularly where the speed differential is high. For example, Turn 1 is at the end of the straight (probably the fastest part of the course) and involves a tight right turn (more than 90 degrees) at low speed. Similarly, the hair pin Turn 3 and right angle turns 4, 7, and 8. A lot depends on the actual course geometry through the turns (the width of pavement between the barriers and the effective radius). Very similar to F1 (or any road racing).

The IRL also runs "push to pass" (at least they do this season). This allows the driver to get an extra 20 horsepower (I believe) for 18 seconds. They typically get 15 pushes per race, with a minimum of 10 seconds between. Since Indycar runs spec Honda engines, this allows a power differential between vehicles which enables passing.

Vic

Thread Information