Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Question on pulling the M54 for a bottom end rebuild

Thread: Question on pulling the M54 for a bottom end rebuild

Question on pulling the M54 for a bottom end rebuild

After much heeving and hoeing I'm going to pull the bottom end out for a rebuild. The intake assembly and head are already off. This project started as another project a few weeks ago, and now I found myself rationalizing "since I'm this close, why not the rest of the engine". The poor M54 has 165,000 miles. Of which 30,000+ have been under FI. The project is under a budget. Nothing fancey going on except for already purchased cams and headstuds. I'm alittle nervous about the actually pulling it out of the car.

Any tips, tricks or stuff to be concerned with when pulling the engine?
    Last edited by JC5; 04-05-2010 at 05:34 PM.
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Quote Originally Posted by JC5 View Post
    After much heeving and hoeing I'm going to pull the bottom end out for a rebuild. The intake assembly and head are already off. This project started as another project a few weeks ago, and now I found myself rationalizing "since I'm this close, why not the rest of the engine". The poor M54 has 165,000 miles. Of which 30,000+ have been under FI. The project is under a budget. Nothing fancey going on except for already purchased cams and headstuds. I'm alittle nervous about the actually pulling it out of the car.

Any tips, tricks or stuff to be concerned with when pulling the engine?
    should be a piece of cake with the head off, kinda tricky with head and header attached.

Disconnect the driveshaft and the shifter and pull it out as an assembly. Pull off the AC compressor and PS pump first. Pull the radiator so you don't accidentally jam the engine into it.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Pull the trans with the block? Hmmmm was thinking of doing that, along with removing the radiator. I'd like to re-install everything together also; block, head, intake & exhaust manifold, and trans as an assembly.

Is there a good source for the lower end torque specs? The Bentley manual doesn't really cover too much down there.

I'm replacing the oil pump for good measure. What do you think about the replacing harmonic balancer @ $536?
    Last edited by JC5; 04-15-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    Supercharged '03 530

Quote Originally Posted by JC5 View Post
    Pull the trans with the block? Hmmmm was thinking of doing that, along with removing the radiator. I'd like to re-install everything together also; block, head, intake & exhaust manifold, and trans as an assembly.

Is there a good source for the lower end torque specs? The Bentley manual doesn't really cover too much down there.

I'm replacing the oil pump for good measure. What do you think about the replacing harmonic balancer @ $536?
    Wow$536, I'd forget that, did you damage yours?, You can put the engine in together, but it requires some twisting and jacking to get the oil pan around everything, some patience is good. I've got torque #s for 3 series in my haynes book, not M though, might be the same. 15 ft lbs, for rods and mains plus70 degrees. 22 plus 90 degrees for head bolts, all supposed to be new( which I've never done), crank damper bolt is300ftlbs!!

Not which is stranger the price tag, or the torque number. It's not damaged so I ma skimp here and reuse it.

Gonna take a closer lok tomorrow to see how everything will come out together. God, I would love to reassemble as one unit outside of the car.
    Supercharged '03 530

On an E39, even attaching the trans on the car is no big deal.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Yeah there is tons of space in the e39 engine bay with the 6 cylinders compared to the 3 series.
    Supercharged '03 530

Thread Information